Author Topic: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"  (Read 74429 times)

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starboard Ace 14' x 25"
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
Corlot, the feeling of pushing water on the Ace compared with something like the Ace Pro and its piercing bow is largely just a perception and something you can ignore. If you have access to a GPS, I think you'll be surprised that the Ace is in fact moving faster than the Ace Pro, even though you are seeing all that wake in front of you. What's happening is the board is simply displacing and releasing the water right there instead of at the tail. As Brian Szymanski, the designer says, a board has to release water somewhere, and the Ace proves that it is not important whether it be at the front or the back. So ignore what you're seeing in front of you. Sure the looking of a sharp bow cut through the water like a hot knife through butter gives you a sense that you are flying, whereas the bull nosed Ace looks like you're ploughing a field, but the truth is something else altogether.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
Thanks PT! I am going to GPS my foot placement this week. I am shocked on how much I enjoy this board. Side chop is still a struggle at this point, but it was with my 25 width Ace Pro as well  :D

Been reading the posts that you and the crew have been sharing and it is a wealth of info.

I am sort of obsessed with this board right now. My brother and I took them out in slight wind days and were giggling like school girls.. may be the close to perfect one board quiver.

Ninja fin a good choice for flat and downwind?

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 23, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
Thanks PT! I am going to GPS my foot placement this week. I am shocked on how much I enjoy this board. Side chop is still a struggle at this point, but it was with my 25 width Ace Pro as well  :D

Been reading the posts that you and the crew have been sharing and it is a wealth of info.

I am sort of obsessed with this board right now. My brother and I took them out in slight wind days and were giggling like school girls.. may be the close to perfect one board quiver.

Ninja fin a good choice for flat and downwind?

Glad you're enjoying the Ace. It's my favorite board. Nothing goes downwind in light to moderate conditions like the Ace. As you noticed, it's also one of the best boards for going upwind. It's not as great in sidewind conditions as it can get a bit tippy. Just keep your paddle near the water on your recovery stroke ready to brace if need be.

Most people take some time to get used to the Ace but it looks like you got there right away.

I've had 3 versions of this board - the 2010 New (before they renamed it the Ace), the 2012 Ace, and just picked up my 2013 Ace on Friday. Still haven't got the 2013 board wet yet. I'm looking forward to seeing if the removal of the center hump will make the board easier to surf. I still have a hard time trying to surf the board from the tail on big bumps. I tend to just enjoy the ride from the tail rather than actively turning the board down the face of the wave. More practice I guess.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
I don't think I've ever tried my Ninja fin on the Ace. I only ever used it on a K15.

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Kaihoe,
Thanks for sharing your input on the Naish fin, looks like it would be good for stability.  In flat water or into the wind or with directional swell, the Ace isn't too bad, but we get side wind, side chop, or just all out disorganized stuff and the Ace is very challenging in those conditions.  When I first got the Ace, I was 165 lbs, I put 10 lbs back on and the balancing issues are more noticeable, plus my other boards are very stable.  I'll see if I can find a fin like the Naish one.  I don't know if Naish will sell the fin separately. 

Corlot,
The Ninja seemed to work okay in flatwater.  It's not as stable as the Gladiator Hybrid or the Futures XL, but plenty stable enough for flat water.  For downwind, I would say it depends what kind of downwind you have.  If your swells are not stacked up and a bit more disorganized where you need stability, the Ninja may not be enough, unless you are very light and stability is not an issue for you on the Ace.  The stock fin also works okay for flatwater, but there is more yaw than with the Ninja. 

I wonder if the Ace would be a good candidate for twin fins.  I still wonder how the twin fin will downwind.  People keep saying the twins add stability, wonder if that would be true for the Ace design. 

The Ace is such a fun board, but when it's too windy or too rough, it sucks  having to paddle on my knees.  I'd love to have a bit more stability without having to sacrifice too much speed.  When I'm falling, I'm really slow, haha!

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
Here's another Ace update.  Had my 14x25 carbon for about a year now.  I went months without having paddled the Ace, gained some weight, so transitioning back on the Ace was challenging in open ocean conditions.  I am borrowing a Gladiator Elite fin from a friend which seems to slow down the tippiness.  Took the board out in open ocean and although at times I'll do balance checks and use the paddle as a crutch, no falls so the fin seems to be working.  I've tried quite a few fins and this seems to make it the most stable. 

With that said, the drawback may be some increased drag, especially when in flat water conditions.  I paddle in a bay which at times is flat along a breakwall, but once outside the wall, it can get pretty rough with large ocean swells.

What I love about the Ace is that although it's 30 lbs, it doesn't feel that heavy on the water.  With my bigger boards, toward the end of a 6 mile sprint, it's a grind to keep the board moving.  With the Ace, I am much less fatigue.  Less effort to keep moving equates to quicker lap times and less fatique overall. 

The Ace continues to impress me with how well it paddles into the wind, in surface chop, and of course catching swells.  When others fail to get on a tiny bump, the Ace picks it up and keeps going, it's pretty amazing.  When the wind is blowing and others start slowing down, I can keep going with ease.  My friends think it's me, but I know it's the board, it's magic! Falling in love with the Ace again.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
I just jumped on the ACE crazy train a few weeks ago picked up a used carbon 14 X25. What a fun board to paddle. I have taken it on a few down wind runs and still trying to figure that out. The light wind stuff was fun, had it out when it was in the 20s that was fun but a hand full. I am using the stock fin seems ok but very interested in getting a fin that helps in the DW stuff.

Thanks

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
I just jumped on the ACE crazy train a few weeks ago picked up a used carbon 14 X25. What a fun board to paddle. I have taken it on a few down wind runs and still trying to figure that out. The light wind stuff was fun, had it out when it was in the 20s that was fun but a hand full. I am using the stock fin seems ok but very interested in getting a fin that helps in the DW stuff.

Thanks

What's your height and weight?  I'm around 170 lbs now and the Ace seem manageable.  I think a few other members are using the stock fin for downwind.  The bigger fins help with stability but probably at the expense of increased drag and less manueverablility.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »
Hey

Takeo I'm about 200 lb 5'6, haven't been out on the board lately and pay ed the price for that today, took it on a 4 mile down winder today in 20-25 knots. Well it was fun and lot of work, did some swimming. Kept trying to figure out the best foot placement in catching the bump, on the big drops I would move back to keep the nose up but It seems to get hard to handle if I'm to far back when paddling and the wave rolls under. It is crazy when you get it right and it takes off into the runner it just fly's and lets you link into more waves. I hope more time on the board i get it figured out.

Thanks for all the Info

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2013, 09:13:25 PM »
Hey

Takeo I'm about 200 lb 5'6, haven't been out on the board lately and pay ed the price for that today, took it on a 4 mile down winder today in 20-25 knots. Well it was fun and lot of work, did some swimming. Kept trying to figure out the best foot placement in catching the bump, on the big drops I would move back to keep the nose up but It seems to get hard to handle if I'm to far back when paddling and the wave rolls under. It is crazy when you get it right and it takes off into the runner it just fly's and lets you link into more waves. I hope more time on the board i get it figured out.

Thanks for all the Info

200 lbs and downwinding with the Ace, good for you! I won't make anymore excuses about gaining weight and the board getting tippy.  At 170-175lbs, My toes usually cover the rear drain hole, if there are small swells and I see the nose boofing, I step back a bit further, boofing slows the board down.  The couple times I downwinded with the Ace, a big step back was enough to keep the nose from boofing.  I surfed the Ace a few times, when that nose plows, you go flying, haha! My friend who paddles with me on his Jaime Mitchell 14' or Starboard 12'6" race said once he sees the Ace tail lift, he knows I'm gone. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal