Author Topic: Paddling with Insanity.  (Read 10158 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddling with Insanity.
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:54 PM »
The Insanity is a new paddle from Kialoa.. (coming soon).. and yesterday I tried it for the first time and took some pics.

This is a very different type of paddle because of the type of blade material and how light it is.. and how cheap it will be.. It's about the same blade size as my favourite paddle.. 'the Methane'.. and feels very similar to it when paddling.. But it feels even lighter than the Methane.. and will be about half the price of a Methane.. Kialoa did a similar blade type before but it was heavier.. thicker.. and you could feel it flexing under hard paddling.. This new material is a fair bit thinner and stiffer.. The swing weight is amazing because there is none.. It feels like you're just swinging a shaft when you swap sides.. There is also a very solid feel at the catch part of the stroke.. I have to say that I was very impressed.

DJ

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:49:29 PM by DavidJohn »

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddling with Insanity.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 05:14:04 PM »
So... what IS the blade material??
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »
So... what IS the blade material??

Good question.. It has a plastic look and feel but I'm sure it's more hi tech.. I'm guessing some type of fiber reinforced thermoplastic.

DJ

Dave Chun

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »
The paddle is called the Insanity Carbon. The blade is 100% carbon fiber CFRT (Continuos Fiber Reinforced Thermoplastic), and the "resin" is Polypropylene.
Dave Chun
Kialoa Paddles

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:17 PM »

Insane.

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:08:55 AM »
When are they available and what will they cost?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:23:55 AM »
When are they available and what will they cost?

They are due here in December I think so it should be sooner in the US.. and the price for this paddle will be $279..

Here's what Dave had to say about the paddle I'm using..

"The paddle you have is the Insanity Carbon and the RST carbon shaft. The paddle is 100% carbon fiber in this configuration. We also have an Insanity Fiberglass blade. The FG weights more and is priced lower. There will be many combinations of these blades and shafts, the idea being to address all budgets and needs."

I've been using it every day over the past week and even on a couple of downwinders.. It's such a nice paddle to use and it's great that there is now an entry level paddle that's this light.. I have been swapping with friends that I paddle with so they can try it and it always feels good to have it back in my hands.. I do miss the nice Kialoa oval shaft but I guess that's how they are keeping the price down.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:01 AM »
Great vid about this new paddle.. I used mine today on our downwinder.. Great paddle

INSANITY intro

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 06:51:41 AM »
Crocs? Really?
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Crocs? Really?

Yes Crocs.. and yes really... I wear them a lot and on that day it was very cold and I didn't have booties.. The Crocs are warn and comfee and I've done many long flat water paddles in them.. I like them.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 02:06:43 PM »
Crocs make great paddling/water shoes for all kinds of reasons beyond just the cool factor. 

Plus, they make sense with the new Kialoa--both are innovative uses of inexpensive plastic.

They are also lighter than carbon shoes would be, and of course avoid the problem of a large carbon footprint.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 05:47:00 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the three piece travel version? The Insanity paddle, tho if there are 3 piece Crocs, I would be interested in hearing about those also.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 05:48:09 AM »
Looks like i may have found my new paddle. I was planning to try a Quick Blade this coming year, Possibly another Werner.... but i like the looks and the implied durability of the Kialoa Insanity. Price is very affordable too.

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 07:26:57 AM »
So far I'm digging mine. 8)

Will

marvinhecht

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 03:09:46 AM »
Oh shucks. I saw the title and I thought this was going to be a thread about doing some type of Beachbody "Insanity" 30 minute work out with Shawn on paddle boards. I was trying to do P90X30 (similarly intense program) from Beachbody - and I just can't get myself to to do it. It is hard and I'd rather just go SUP-ping!
I guess the best workout is the one you ACTUALLY DO. Good to know there are lighter paddles out there - whenever I sup too long my shoulder hurts!!
10"6 x 29" Gerry Lopez Big Darlin Surftech SUP
GL1 and GL2 quads
Hoe Nalu Carbon Paddle (Surfing)
QuickBlade 86 Trifeca Carbon Paddle (Flatwater)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal