Author Topic: Guinness Record for 24 Hour Flatwater SUP?  (Read 4984 times)

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Guinness Record for 24 Hour Flatwater SUP?
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:54:50 PM »
My friend is attempting to break the 24 hour kayak distance record tomorrow in Bellingham, WA.  He will have to break 150.3 miles in his Epic V10 Surfski.  He set the record in 2006 with 140 miles, but was beat one week later by the current record holder.

I was wondering if anyone has an official Guinness record for flatwater SUP?  I couldn't find one on their site.  I know there was a record set on the Yukon River... but that was greatly aided by current... something like 230 miles.

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Guinness Record for 24 Hour Flatwater SUP?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »
Whats your friends name? Any reason he is not using the Epic V14? Even the V12 is supposed to be 3 percent faster than the V10...over 24 hrs that could be a sizable difference. That is some over the top serious endurance...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:14:23 PM »
Please keep us updated GreatDane. 

SUPFL, my guess on the choice of a V-10 is that stability is an issue.  I've heard people often hallucinate when they go that long. 

6.25 mph, 24 hours in a row is super strong.  Amazing paddler.  6+ mph is no walk in the park.

Please post a link if there is one.   
Support your local shaper

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:51 AM »
SUPFlorida... His name is Brandon Nelson & he has been sponsored by Epic for years... Races with Greg Barton all the time in team relay events. Not sure what makes his decision on which boat... He is about 6'4" and 250 pounds... all muscle. 

It's on a very sheltered lake, so stability shouldn't be an issue. 

Here is a link to the local newspaper story... he starts in 6 minutes.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/08/20/3156614/nelson-to-make-simplified-second.html
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:12:15 AM »
Good luck to your friend.  One of the most mentally challenging events I've ever done is the one-hour swim.  It's not even as long in duration as a typical swim workout, but it's so easy to lose focus, and unlike any other race you can't get it over by trying harder and finishing sooner.  And this is off the scale compared to doing that for one hour.  I'd imagine hours 18-23 must be absolute killers.  Everyone knows that period in a race from about 3/4 to almost over, when you're too far from the start to feel fresh, and too far from the finish to be relieved, or to even be able to know you'll finish--but usually that's a period of minutes, not 5 or 6 hours (!).

The only good thing was when my team did it, we (well me) would always tell people all of us tied the national record time for the event. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
He did it.  Amazing paddler.  Super strong.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/08/21/3159187/nelson-nearing-guinness-world.html

And greatdane, the stability comment I made is valid.  Flat or rough water doesn't really matter to elite paddlers like your friend.  They do rough water channel crossings in 14's.  

K-1's are even tippier than ski's.  Elite ski paddlers excel in K-1's too.  The seating position is higher relative to the feet in a K-1, which is more comfy and gives greater leverage.  That's what he's describing in the article regarding comfort.  His first attempt was in a custom kayak, probably a K-1 - ski hybrid.  K-1's fill with water if they go over...  Super fast though.  Much faster than skis.      

But he's going so long that his balance will suffer.  He fell out of the boat once toward the end, undoubtedly due to fatigue.  Hence the 10 rather than the 14.  Ask Brandon about the importance of stability - it's everything.  And for heavens sake, get in a ski.   They are amazing.    
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:52:58 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
He did it.  Amazing paddler.  Super strong.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/08/21/3159187/nelson-nearing-guinness-world.html

And greatdane, the stability comment I made is valid.  Flat or rough water doesn't really matter to elite paddlers like your friend.  They do rough water channel crossings in 14's.  

K-1's are even tippier than ski's.  Elite ski paddlers excel in K-1's too.  The seating position is higher relative to the feet in a K-1, which is more comfy and gives greater leverage.  That's what he's describing in the article regarding comfort.  His first attempt was in a custom kayak, probably a K-1 - ski hybrid.  K-1's fill with water if they go over...  Super fast though.  Much faster than skis.      

But he's going so long that his balance will suffer.  He fell out of the boat once toward the end, undoubtedly due to fatigue.  Hence the 10 rather than the 14.  Ask Brandon about the importance of stability - it's everything.  And for heavens sake, get in a ski.   They are amazing.    
I didn't mean to say your comment wasn't valid.  I was simply trying to say that he was not paddling a V10 for water/conditions stability reasons.  He is 6'6" and his brand new designed V10 has a custom cockpit for his frame.  And I've spent a lot of time in surf skis... They hurt my back, having my butt lower than my heels does not agree with me... outrigger positioning is much more comfy for my lumbar spine. But damn they are fast. I'm just crippled after I get out of one.

I was there from 3am on, for the last 5 hours of his ordeal... it was brutal to watch.  He could not stand under his own power or feed himself.  For one lap we got him into a V10 sport, but the position was so short for his legs, it was excruciating.  We then had a V8 brought in about 5 am... but that cockpit was no better, so he stayed in his V10... although he fell in once and almost fell in several more times.  The last hour he could only take about 10 strokes at a time... They had me following on a SUP in case he did go in... much easier to perform a rescue from a SUP than a ski.  When the 24 hour horn blew, we managed to get him transferred into a Zodiac which took him to shore... an ambulance then took him to the ER because he was having an abnormal cardiac rhythm, probably from a huge potassium imbalance.

In these pics, he is being held up by my friend Peter (because he can't stand on his own) and is being fed by his wife Heather... He is at the 23 hour mark here:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
Wow--I'd seen that photo before, and assumed that was after it was over.  I'm so impressed at his mental toughness--even in endurance events of only a few hours, you can hit a point of hopelessness and exhaustion, and one thing that helps you through is that, by the time you hit that point, the end is within sight.    That couldn't even be close to true for a 24 hour event.  You'd still have hours in the hopeless/exhausted zone vs. something like a marathon where miles 20-24 are exhausting, but you only have to grit it out for less than half an hour--and when you enter that zone in a marathon, you've only been running for a couple hours--not 16!

There must be something in your water up there.  When I was in high school, I watched Jim Pearson from Bellingham/Ferndale set his American record in the 50-mile run at Green Lake. The timers were in tents in parkas and raingear.  They had binoculars and only came out when a runner came by on each lap.  Jim was out there after 30 or 40 miles in nylon shorts and a fishnet jersey, smiling.  I ran the last half of my fastest marathon with him, and he was so loose and relaxed (just an easy training run for him) it pulled me through to a way faster time than I ever could have done otherwise. 

I still have a hard time comprehending going for 24 hours. 

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:07:52 PM »
I still have a hard time comprehending going for 24 hours. 

You & me both Mike.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Amazing accomplishment. What an incredible feat of physical and mental strength!

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
It's official... Guiness certified the record breaking attempt at 2am this morning...

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/09/05/3186061/nelsons-record-paddle-certified.html

Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:42:09 PM »
Wow.  Some of that's pretty funny to read about his nightmares, probably funny for him now in retrospect.

The thing I hadn't thought of until now is how he must have known the point at which he broke the record, but still had some time left, so kept on going to break it by more.  So willing himself to continue on until he broke the record is one thing, but to continue stroking on after that must seems superhuman.  Even if the rules may have required him to stay in the boat until the 24 hours was up, I'm sure they didn't require him to squeeze out another mile and a half.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:52 PM »
Wow sounds like your friend & Carter have quite a rivalry.  Congrats to Brandon for breaking the record.  Does he do any of the ultra distance races?

Never heard of a record for flat water SUP in 24 hrs. but have at it.  As for me I'll take the downriver or downwind. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

Adapt

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 12:50:10 AM »
Paul Jackson and Kelly Margets (think that's how you spell it) completed a 24hr paddle about 2 years ago. Not a Guinness World record as such but they completed it for a worthy cause at the time. Can't remember how far they paddled but it was extremely impressive.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 06:38:46 AM »
Wow sounds like your friend & Carter have quite a rivalry.  Congrats to Brandon for breaking the record.  Does he do any of the ultra distance races?

Never heard of a record for flat water SUP in 24 hrs. but have at it.  As for me I'll take the downriver or downwind. 
He & his wife have both paddled the Yukon and Lake Baikal in Siberia, but usually do shorter races since they started a family...

And I don't think I want to do anything for 24 hours straight... except maybe sleep (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal