Author Topic: 8' SUP surfing problems  (Read 18646 times)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8' SUP surfing problems -update ride report
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

First day, took the 10' and applied all the suggestions.  I needed a confidence booster. WOW did it make a difference.. stance, paddle length, stroke, everything.

Catching waves no problema. Riding a 10' SUP board is fun, dont get me wrong, but I definitely need to go down in size.

Day two, Ha, wanted waves, nice day on the water, waves peeling, very clean, so I took the 10' again.  Lots of fun, but the waves were perfect, and I was missing my 6.4 Mini Simmons... I love that Mini and thats the main reason I went with the Simmons inspired SUP. 

Day 3, after the confidence booster I got off  riding the log a few days, I took the 8' out in okay conditions, a slight side chop in chest high waves..

The surf stance was tricky, and I fell off again way too many times paddling into waves...I had a few almost moments, but I now know that I need a lot more time on my Simmons before I can catch waves easily.  Its not the boards fault, its the riders.  I will be taking it out in the afternoons, and paddle surf stance only, with a strong stroke, and low center of balance... I figure another month or so, maybe more..

The board is fine, I caught waves easily on my knees then popped up, lots fo fun to surf for a big wide board... After some insight from you guys, its a weight distribution problem.  With my feet side by side, I can paddle around easily in all kind of stuff-surf, flat water, bumpy, but when I spread out my stance, and get low to paddle, I feel like I am on the board for the first time..

So after SUP surfing a few days, no lower back, no neck pain, just a some pain to my ego..

Thanks again for all the help

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8' SUP surfing problems -update ride report
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

First day, took the 10' and applied all the suggestions.  I needed a confidence booster. WOW did it make a difference.. stance, paddle length, stroke, everything.

Catching waves no problema. Riding a 10' SUP board is fun, dont get me wrong, but I definitely need to go down in size.

Day two, Ha, wanted waves, nice day on the water, waves peeling, very clean, so I took the 10' again.  Lots of fun, but the waves were perfect, and I was missing my 6.4 Mini Simmons... I love that Mini and thats the main reason I went with the Simmons inspired SUP. 

Day 3, after the confidence booster I got off  riding the log a few days, I took the 8' out in okay conditions, a slight side chop in chest high waves..

The surf stance was tricky, and I fell off again way too many times paddling into waves...I had a few almost moments, but I now know that I need a lot more time on my Simmons before I can catch waves easily.  Its not the boards fault, its the riders.  I will be taking it out in the afternoons, and paddle surf stance only, with a strong stroke, and low center of balance... I figure another month or so, maybe more..

The board is fine, I caught waves easily on my knees then popped up, lots fo fun to surf for a big wide board... After some insight from you guys, its a weight distribution problem.  With my feet side by side, I can paddle around easily in all kind of stuff-surf, flat water, bumpy, but when I spread out my stance, and get low to paddle, I feel like I am on the board for the first time..

So after SUP surfing a few days, no lower back, no neck pain, just a some pain to my ego..

Thanks again for all the help

Just time on the water is all you need,
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 8' SUP surfing problems
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
Good news man, that's a sweet looking board and you can wait for the glassy days. That's why we have quivers, right?

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »
2 thoughts on shape.

DW and others always say, flat bottom where you stand. You mentioned belly and then double concave.

Second, on an 8'0 that may be a lot of rocker.

You can totally "dial" any board but do let someone try that. It's said over and over and it's true, these aren't blown up surfboards.

I did the same step down and ended up selling my 8' and going to a 9' with less rocker because I didn't like the lack of glide in my heavily rockered 8.

Good luck and hang in, just wanted to share my personal experience.

I will let others ride it for sure, I always share my ride, small or big boards..Its more fun that way..

Belly I was referring was made my the upturned rails a couple of feet towards the nose which adds the belly effect, the bottom is flat until a 3rd of the board and then goes into the double concave.  If I had to shape the board again, I would have put V instead of concave..I love V, must be from my old takayama boards...I only added the double Concave, because of a very highly respected shaper that makes the SimSups does his that way.. I say David added V in his boards and it makes more sense to me... When I shape my simmons surfboards or wide surfboards, its always V for rail to rail.  I put step rails on deck for volume, and then beveled rails on the bottom going into the belly rail at the nose, for reduced rail volume and also for not catching an edge..

I made a 9' ripper copy for my daughter so I will try that.  I have copied Geoff McCoy surfboard designs, so I know how to make a displacement surfing hull..They are lots of fun to surf, the hulls slow the board down for the powerful more critical part of the wave and they turn on a dime, they dont go vertical very well, but are great fun to ride..Huge amount of help from Geoff himself taught me about loaded domes and rolled V in surfboards, soft and hard rails and foam distribution.... I thought it would be good idea to try it out on SUP so I applied Goeff's theory to the 10' and it turns on a dime, then I made the ripper for my daughter..

Longer boards glide and pick up waves better, maybe the 9' is the answer, but was hoping to go as short as possible, then start going narrower..

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 10:02:36 AM »
2 thoughts on shape.

DW and others always say, flat bottom where you stand. You mentioned belly and then double concave.

Second, on an 8'0 that may be a lot of rocker.

You can totally "dial" any board but do let someone try that. It's said over and over and it's true, these aren't blown up surfboards.

I did the same step down and ended up selling my 8' and going to a 9' with less rocker because I didn't like the lack of glide in my heavily rockered 8.

Good luck and hang in, just wanted to share my personal experience.

I will let others ride it for sure, I always share my ride, small or big boards..Its more fun that way..

Belly I was referring was made my the upturned rails a couple of feet towards the nose which adds the belly effect, the bottom is flat until a 3rd of the board and then goes into the double concave.  If I had to shape the board again, I would have put V instead of concave..I love V, must be from my old takayama boards...I only added the double Concave, because of a very highly respected shaper that makes the SimSups does his that way.. I say David added V in his boards and it makes more sense to me... When I shape my simmons surfboards or wide surfboards, its always V for rail to rail.  I put step rails on deck for volume, and then beveled rails on the bottom going into the belly rail at the nose, for reduced rail volume and also for not catching an edge..

I made a 9' ripper copy for my daughter so I will try that.  I have copied Geoff McCoy surfboard designs, so I know how to make a displacement surfing hull..They are lots of fun to surf, the hulls slow the board down for the powerful more critical part of the wave and they turn on a dime, they dont go vertical very well, but are great fun to ride..Huge amount of help from Geoff himself taught me about loaded domes and rolled V in surfboards, soft and hard rails and foam distribution.... I thought it would be good idea to try it out on SUP so I applied Goeff's theory to the 10' and it turns on a dime, then I made the ripper for my daughter..

Longer boards glide and pick up waves better, maybe the 9' is the answer, but was hoping to go as short as possible, then start going narrower..

Iwas talking to Pat Rawson the other day on SUP design and he runs V through the whole board so don't be afraid to use the V.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 10:11:22 AM »
Let Pat know, that I used to ride one of his 6.6  semi gun board at Pescaules, that was 20 year ago..Fantastic surf board,  I actually liked it better than my Rusty's and other boards I rode at the time... I finally broke on a punchy wave and when I put it back together, the ride changed.. I must have misaligned the rocker..Great board, magical shaper..

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
Yes for sure. Pat is a great shaper and one of the few who really understand rocker and flow.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 06:34:41 AM »
I've just moved down a foot in SUP length, and 2 inches width and over 30 litres less volume and feeling the difference.

I'm finding if I paddle too hard just before take off it results in the SUP bogging down on a rail and going sideways. Reckon I would be better with a smaller blade actually.

I always move to surf stance just before the wave gets me and try and get weight on the front foot to help the board get down the wave but boy I'm struggling a wee bit on the balance at the moment. All going all over the place!

Will take a bit of time to adjust and sure water time is the answer...great when on the wave but the rest of it is like starting new again. I miss being further outback too than the rest :(

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »
I've just moved down a foot in SUP length, and 2 inches width and over 30 litres less volume and feeling the difference.

I'm finding if I paddle too hard just before take off it results in the SUP bogging down on a rail and going sideways. Reckon I would be better with a smaller blade actually.

I always move to surf stance just before the wave gets me and try and get weight on the front foot to help the board get down the wave but boy I'm struggling a wee bit on the balance at the moment. All going all over the place!

Will take a bit of time to adjust and sure water time is the answer...great when on the wave but the rest of it is like starting new again. I miss being further outback too than the rest :(

That's a big drop at once. Maybe borrow a board 4 to 6" smaller than your other board then one a little shorter and work your way down. That's what helped be not have to deal with that "total kook" stage of adapting to a shorter board all at once and the ensuing frustrations.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »

That's a big drop at once. Maybe borrow a board 4 to 6" smaller than your other board then one a little shorter and work your way down. That's what helped be not have to deal with that "total kook" stage of adapting to a shorter board all at once and the ensuing frustrations.

Yes - quite a drop but I'll be okay. I'll be falling in, missing waves and all sorts for a while but I'll be fine......eventually. The two times I've been out on it has been in strong offshores which made everything really difficult. You know when you get on a board and you feel okay...but challenged....that's where I am. Unfortunately where I am there is only one other SUPer so I'm having the embarrassing period where other proners think I'm a kook.  ::) ::)

Certainly feel it the next day on the legs and shoulders.......good workout these smaller SUPs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:21:07 AM by coldsup »

surfnpoppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
I will add my 2 cents. Gotta say been there done that. My experience is.... Short SUPs are like short boards. My meaning is they have little glide and require that you take off in the steepest part of the wave. I purposely position myself in the impact zone (just like shortys) this makes for taking a few on the head but the trade off is for most waves it is just a couple strokes and you are in. Surf stance is the only way and be prepared to make a quick hard turn going down the face to avoid pearling. A hard first turn sets you up for down the line speed and also allows you to take off "steep and deep" very close to the curl. Good luck with it.

A couple weeks back in well overhead waves I got big "hoots" from the crowd on a couple of big peak late take off hard on the rail backside waves.... made my day.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:48:22 PM by surfnpoppy »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 12:53:29 AM »
I will add my 2 cents. Gotta say been there done that. My experience is.... Short SUPs are like short boards. My meaning is they have little glide and require that you take off in the steepest part of the wave. I purposely position myself in the impact zone (just like shortys) this makes for taking a few on the head but the trade off is for most waves it is just a couple strokes and you are in. Surf stance is the only way and be prepared to make a quick hard turn going down the face to avoid pearling. A hard first turn sets you up for down the line speed and also allows you to take off "steep and deep" very close to the curl. Good luck with it.

A couple weeks back in well overhead waves I got big "hoots" from the crowd on a couple of big peak late take off hard on the rail backside waves.... made my day.

Yup - finding already that I need to be in a bit further and that I'l be feeling it in the legs and arms more the next day ;)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
Man what a timely thread - love this forum.  BajaSurf wrote my experience to a T.  Just had my first couple of sessions on a new S3 Simsup - dropped down from a 10.5 Widepoint to the 8.5 Simsup with 40 less litres of volume.  Like Baja - I find the design stable - even in the chop and can tool around out in the water no worries.   I was so used to positioning farther out and running things down.  It was quickly apparent that this new board was not going to be business as usual.   Could not get on a wave initially as they rolled under me until I gingerly moved inside and then began catching waves with only a couple hard strokes before the drop - the room for error in positioning just got a bit narrower!

Once on the wave, this thing is skatey feeling and scary quick - night and day to my previous.  Tons o fun....

Still lots to learn and I fall in a lot but I like that about this sport - it has a relatively slow learning curve and will keep me coming back for a good long while.  The suggestions posted here are golden...

SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
Went out today and used the advice given to me.  Surfer stance, and dig hard... It took me a month, but finally caught waves and had fun.  I am not very consistent and fall quite a bit while catching waves, but hey, I am paddling into them now and surfing the shorter board is a blast..

Thanks everyone...

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
Congrats Baja.  I am another one going thru this whole new short board thing with my new 8'6Foote board. I'm 5'10 and 205.  I have read a few things from this thread that will help me out so thank you to everyone for the tips.  Another funny thing that I am going through here in Florida that you guys in colder climates probably are not is the rash from the deck pads. One of the only good arguments for wax.  We just had 3 good days of surf here. Between me knee paddling and falling a trillion times and climbing back on and sitting the straddling the board, I have some of the worst rash on my knees, on the inside of my knees, and inside my thighs.

It was also the first time SUS since my shoulder surgery and that worked awkwardly against me.  For me I have only surfed on 12'6" before ordering my 8'6" Foote.  The first 2 days I was out on the 8'6. The first day was wind chop and I was basically on my knees the whole time getting beat down. Catching waves on my knees and then standing up.  The second day was shoulder high, the wind was light and the conditions were smooth.  On my feet, out the outside, but falling a lot. I think I was able to catch 3-4 waves.  Realized some of my mistakes reading your thread.  The third day, it was smaller ,waist to chest, and I took out my 12'6 PSH hull paddler.

I was back awkward on this one, and realized my recovering shoulder was my problem with getting into waves.  Before my surgery I had taken it out once and caught waves and had a blast.  Was having problems with it yesterday and realized it was because I only had one strong side to paddle on and it was screwing me up timing and balance wise.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard