Author Topic: 7 most common reactions to a High fat low carb diet  (Read 7430 times)

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 7 most common reactions to a High fat low carb diet
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
I had a severe rise in LDL cholesterol from being too low carb/high fat for me. This is a danger that is actually not so uncommon amongst HFLC eaters once you start looking for people who experience it.

Do research ... there is actually good LDL (type A) and bad LDL (Type B)  .... my LDL was higher than normal but I had my doctor take another blood test and they tested for different LDL's my good LDL was high :) 

Wikipedia :

Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is one of the five major groups of lipoproteins, which in order of size, largest to smallest, are chylomicrons, VLDL, IDL, LDL, and HDL, that enable transport of multiple different fat molecules, as well as cholesterol, within the water around cells and within the water-based bloodstream. Studies have shown that higher levels of type-B LDL particles (as opposed to type-A LDL particles) are associated with health problems, including cardiovascular disease. LDL is often informally called bad cholesterol, (as opposed to HDL particles, which are frequently referred to as good cholesterol or healthy cholesterol).[1]

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 7 most common reactions to a High fat low carb diet
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
I tried Atkins in the early 90's  HIGH fat and LOW carb ... it was awful !!  Why cause it cut out ALL carbs and allowed you to eat ALL forms of fat , this is a recipe for disaster.

There are good fats and real bad fats . If you feed your body the GOOD fats like grass fed beef and free range chicken , wild salmon , organic coconut oil , some nuts ect:  ..  and you get your carbs from good sources like Vegetables , good fruit as in blueberries ( and not for example ..  strawberries or pineapple) then your body will become very efficient at burning fat and using it as fuel . As your body gets rid of the excess fat on you then you will be able to up your intake of GOOD Carbs  for a maintenance lifestyle.

Just as in cholesterol (LDL) there is good fats and bad fats , so we must be educated and become knowledgable on nutrition and the science behind it .

I have to laugh when people say cut out calories and you'll lose weight ...  yes you will sort of , but almost all people I know that go that route are as fat or fatter within 6 months of quitting the counting  ...it is not a sustainable lifestyle.

I have not counted calories in 3 years !! I eat like a pig sometimes and I still maintain my weight between 175 and 180 .  I counted carbs ( sort of )  in the first 6 to 8 months but now I just adjust my intake according to how I feel and look and also according to my energy output. some weeks like last week I paddled 9 miles a day for three days in a row,  so I most definitely increased my carb intake , however not by a lot . I also increased my protein and fat intake so it's a balance . I really don't think about it much now.

My wife and I had to go to dinners two nights in a row this week at chinese restaurants and I PIGGED out but I pigged out on the right foods for my Paleo living and I actually lost 2 pounds during the 3 days . It's all about balance :) and knowing what works and does not work.

Some people get by with a High carb low fat diet cause in most cases they exercise 5 or 6 times a week but again this is not sustainable or desirable for longterm health. The older you get the more cholesterol you need to keep vains and brain healthy, however this is the opposite of what main stream medicine will tell you. low fat,  low cholesterol ???  WTF ?  we need fat !! especially as we get older.

About two-thirds of your brain is composed of fats. But not just any kind.  Essential Building Materials–To build brain cells you need fatty acids. Two kinds of fatty acids are considered "essential," which means you must get these essential fatty acids (EFAs) from the food you eat. Your body cannot manufacture them.

The first essential fatty acid you need is Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA is the foundation of the "omega-3" family of fatty acids. Food sources of omega-3 ALA include flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, sea vegetables, green leafy vegetables, and cold water fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, and trout.

The second essential fatty acid you need is Linoleic acid (LA). LA is the foundation of the "omega-6" family of fatty acids. Food sources of omega-6 LA

Myelin, the protective sheath that covers communicating neurons, is composed of 30% protein and 70% fat. One of the most common fatty acids in myelin is oleic acid, which is also the most abundant fatty acid in human milk and in our diet.    Monounsaturated oleic acid is the main component of olive oil as well as the oils from almonds, pecans, macadamias,  and avocados.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard