Author Topic: Board Bag Reviews  (Read 5397 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Board Bag Reviews
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:33:22 AM »
I know there are some posts here and there regarding board bags....  let start something thats all in one place.  I'll be buying another custom bag for a trip this winter.  What bags do you love, which ones don't you love?
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board Bag Reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »
I have 4 Midnights that are holding up relatively well.  Getting some UV damage and starting to break down after a couple of years. 

New Prolite ordered with my Infinity.  Nice material, too new to talk about durability.

Ocean Earth- Can't recommend.  Disintegrated in under a season of use.  UV caused all of the webbing to fall apart.

Epic- Good price point but my zippers always break.

DaKine - Well built.  Holding up well in the UV. 

These are boards ranging from 9 to 15 feet.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
I've got dakine and midnight.  Both good quality, midnights are cheaper
maybe and do customs.  The FCS look solid like the dakines.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 06:24:56 AM »
FCS bags are def beast. I have 2. Handles well placed and zippers work well. No extra slot for fins etc. Only major issue is my Dominator does not fit without taking the fin off each time (had bought for M&M) >:(
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
For the price Paddlesurf Warehouse shop bags are great, in my opinion. Great customer service, too. I like those guys.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
+1 for Midnight, custom-made in USA and definitely a lower price than retail bags. 

If I have another made, I will ask that they install a handle on the face of the bag (similar to where they are on a board) rather than the railing.  Would be much nicer to carry. 

Have a Starboard bag too.  Pricier, but very thick padding. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
If I have another made, I will ask that they install a handle on the face of the bag (similar to where they are on a board) rather than the railing.  Would be much nicer to carry. 

Might seem a little counterintuitive, but try lifting the bag with the handle on the lower rail.  On some bags, the handle will be long enough for a very comfy carry.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
I bought a Midnight Bag a year or two ago.... in general, excellent bag.  Reasonable price (I think I paid 270 for mine w/ a number of additional features)...  Well padded, great fit, nice looking bag.....I would only mention that there were a few things that stood out to me as things that could be improved:

-Hardware on the shoulder strap was made of cheap plastic that bent and broke from the weight of the board...  pretty much just threw it away immediately...

-Zippers seemed a little inferior quality wise...still holding up OK, but seem a little flimsy

-customer service... while good, it wasn't great.  I ordered the bag a few weeks before a trip and was told that they couldn't guarantee that it would get there in time... I offered to pay additional to have it "rushed" so I could be sure I'd get it....Could they send me the tracking #?....No....is there anything I could do to make sure I get it in time?...."you should be OK, but we can't guarantee it".... In the end, got it 2 days before I left so all good.

I know, I know - I'm such a New Yorker....wanting everything yesterday....

Would I buy from Midnight Products again?  Absolutely, but I'll be sure to order well in advance so I don't loose sleep over it....

Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
I've seen CRT's board bag and it's appearance is handsome!

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
I have a Lakes Bay bag for my Starboard windsurfing Formula board and it's held up for 12 years of service. Excellent construction quality, great padding, made in USA...unsure if they've gone after the SUP market, but it looks like they do custom work.  Give them a call for a quote on a custom fit bag!

http://www.lakesbay.com/main.html 

MAX

shankfoo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • shankfoo on fb
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
I have no complaints about this Danuu bag so far. 
It's not custom but it fits my 14er just fine.
Thinner padding than the Coreban bag I have, but better zippers, straps, and outer shell.
And I could probably use it as a solar oven / tanning bed in a pinch.

- Kevin -
| Angulo Shaka 14' | Surftech Bark Laird 14' | Coreban Alpha 12'6 | Uli 14' | Red 10'6 || QB Kanaha 100 86" |

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:36 AM »
I posted this in the short bag tread, but thought it was worth repeating here as well. 

Here are a couple shots of my Vitamin Blue 1/2" travel bag.  They will also make a lighter day bag.  High quality materials, hardware, perfect handle(s) placement and outstanding service.

Stand Up Pittsburgh

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
Off the shelf I would go with Riviera and custom I would go with Vitamin Blue. We sell and use the Riviera for our boards. The Riviera bags have handles in all the right places and good zippers. Their bags are super durable. We have many customers that have ordered and use the Vitamin Blue also and they are very happy. They make really good custom bags and will add and customize to what you need.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Board Bag Reviews
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 11:54:58 AM »
The best bag I've had is a Jimmy Lewis bag, followed by a vitamin blue (disappointed in zippers and ended up much too big after spending hours measuring my narrow 14 footer), then the Riveria. Riveria is lightest, thinnest, and easiest to compact down to fit inside your car.VBlue will be more expensive than FCS race bag due to shipping.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal