Author Topic: Wise words from an elder?  (Read 3849 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Wise words from an elder?
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=11971&cateId=3&title=Interview:%20Dave%20Parmenter%20On%20Making%20Boards%20and%20Other%20Things&display=0#ixzz2acQkOGoj  extract from article/interview  Can you tell about your involvement in the development of the SUP? What it was originally created for? And how do you feel about it being used in the line-up nowadays?  ?Beachboy-style surfing,? as we pioneers called it, had been around for ages but had never been modernized or taken to a more sophisticated level. Brian Keaulana, a true pioneer in many fields, especially water safety/rescue, took up this activity with a lot of zeal and within a few months revolutionized it to the point where it is recognizable in its present form. I was more or less the Tom Blake to his Duke Kahanamoku here, building all the prototype stand-up boards, including but not limited to the very first short SUPs and downwind raceboards.  What is now known as SUP was intended by Brian and I to escape crowds and move into uncontested realms further afield. While it could be argued that stand-up paddle surfing has spread people out more rather than causing more crowding, it is obvious that human nature being what it is, there are quite a few imbeciles abusing them just as they did modern longboards and leashes when they appeared. Just as dynamite and aviation were meant to benefit mankind, they all too often ended up being the tools of evil, and I find myself at present in the position of Charles Lindbergh, who spent most of his life championing aviation but who at the end of his life turned his back on it, as he was disenchanted at how the airplane had wrought so much destruction through the turmoil of the 20th Century.  I have always made it clear that nobody should be using SUP surfboards at any break with a history of use as a conventional surfing spot.    Read more: http://www.coastalwatch.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=11971&cateId=3&title=Interview:%20Dave%20Parmenter%20On%20Making%20Boards%20and%20Other%20Things&display=0#ixzz2afPxr23p

Said elder living his words at Makaha.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wise words from an elder?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:33:10 AM »
I use my SUP to get away from crowds, (i.e. at outside breaks), not to make them worse.

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »
Looks a bit like "do as I say, not as I do". Ever been to Makaha? Last time I was there it was perfect for SUP, and I left my board on the car and watched because there were so many surfers in the water. Mid-week during school hours. A sea of bodies.  That's an action-packed couple of paragraphs--Parmenter is a combination of Tom Blake and Charles Lindberg? Yikes. Invented everything, from short surfers to downwind racers???

Delusional.

I like the notion of spreading out, though somehow I spent most of last year at lower Kanaha, and rarely even went of to the boneyard or uppers. But while I say I like the idea I'd have a hard time telling other people what they should do--not that anyone would care.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:21:12 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:48 AM »
It's been twenty years since I've been to Makaha and nostalgically it's
remained my favorite beach.  I wouldn't have paddled out either, fun to
watch from under the trees.  Or maybe go out at Klausmeyer's; wonder
where that name came from.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:37:12 AM »
I'm guessing "Coastal Watch" is not a rag geared toward SUP.
Bunch of old shit

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
"I have always made it clear that nobody should be using SUP surfboards at any break with a history of use as a conventional surfing spot."

I wonder if he saw the irony of that quote immediately above that photo in the article.  Probably not. 

There's a big difference between saying "I've always made it clear..." and "I've always thought..." Narcissists use his wording.  Of course it's not certain he was quoted accurately.

And if you look at airplanes' contributions to the world on balance today, aligning yourself with Lindbergh makes you a fool. 

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »
I'm thinking this guy is a tool. he made a life supported largely by consumers of the surf industry. Now those consumers are doing something other than the "HPSB pay your dues at your local break dance" he has great disdain for them.

Did'nt the statistics last year show that there would be no growth in the surf industry if not for SUP?

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating social rebellion by invading lowers on my 14' SUP. Be responsible. Don't go into crowded breaks where you might be over your head. Don't be wave hog, work with those around you.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
I sup where I surfed. I surf  just a different board there now, I don't take anything like a lot of waves just enough for me which leaves way more  fro everyone else than I actually take.  My biggest  issue now is there a  lot of guys who take off right underneath you.  but wait when I long boarder they did that  too.   >>>>>>>>>>> so    it is all the same as it was.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard