Author Topic: Aguera Hooked SUP  (Read 19804 times)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Aguera Hooked SUP
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:27:05 PM »
I picked up the board today from the freight shipper.  Box was intact and the board wrapped nicely in foam.  Not a scratch on the board.  I was expecting to see a mast track insert already cut out of the deck pad - none.  I tried probing for a void under the deck pad, but no joy.  I got a couple of Scotty mounts already.

A couple of questions - what screws did anyone with this board use to mount the scotty bracket - 1/4 20?

Did anyone have the same scenario with a hidden or non-present windsurfing mast track?

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Aguera Hooked SUP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 07:26:43 PM »
1 1/2" #20 Stainless Sheet metal screws with Pan heads.  Four per Scotty mount.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
1 1/4" is the right size

the 1 1/2" #12 are just a tad too long (thank goodness for slip clutch drills set low - old windsurfing footstrap trick)

I paddled this out in an open bay today - fantastic board!  Aircraft carrier stable - walk all over the place.  

With the two Scotty mounts, a plastic flex fin and the bungees fore and aft, I have this boards weighing in at 38.5 pounds

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
Mast track on mine isn't hidden. It is a few years old now and has the gray pad but looks like made in the same factory from the label, packing, and box. Starts about 6" in front of the hand hold.
I do have a different board with a mast attachment and it is somewhat covered by the pad so maybe you will find yours.
I wouldn't have remembered for sure what screws I used. I only mounted one Scotty and haven't removed it. I really like mine and I am sure you know what you were going after and will be impressed too. I actually haven't been on that board yet this year.........I need to change that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:20:45 PM by lucabrasi »

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:22:06 PM »
All dressed up!

For the front Scotty, I would recommend alignment so the holder faces towards the nose when you drop it in to fit the "key".  When you turn it back to face you, it is now locked in and won't fall out when you are carrying the board by the handle.

I emailed Alex and he got back to me really quick.  The new Hooked SUPs do not come with a mast track (dang it!!!!  now that means I'll have to perform surgery on the board...).  Similar fate that the Naish boards went through (nobody was using the mast tracks so they stopped putting them in - it's like society wants to kill windsurfing - but that's a rant for the WindSUP category).

I love this board more everyday!

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
I've had this board out on the water a few times now.  Stable is an understatement.  It's not that I need help with balance or that I weigh a ton (175#) - but having fished from 4 different boards now, being able to turn around, walk from one area to another on the board, and carry a bunch of stuff in an organized manner - all that is easier with the stability.  I can tell there is more drag on the board with the extra width it has, and it doesn't hold top end speed like a flatwater stiletto does, but that doesn't mean it doesn't glide along and that it doesn't track straight - it does both nicely.  And I did manage to catch a few while I was out testing the configuration of the rod holders and the cooler (Igloo Ultra Marine - way lighter than a Yeti and I stuffed it with cold beverages, the Scotty Rod Holders, fly fishing rods, snacks for the kids and  that made the transition between land and water way easier).  Don't get me wrong - I love my Yeti Roadie, but if I don't need to keep ice for a long period of time, the Igloo makes way more sense to use.  If you have been looking for a fishing SUP, you'd be hard pressed to find something better (simple to configure, lighter than most, durable with proper care, tracks straight and is decent at keeping speed).

I plan on installing a PVC pipe paddle holder on the Igloo by next outing (and I won't feel bad about drilling into a $39.99 cooler like I would a $240 Yeti - I'll keep the Roadie pristine and ride the Igloo into the ground!) - my paddle was the only thing that seemed to not have a place of its own.  I'll post more on that in the coming week.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Following up on this board. 

I've used in saltwater, on lakes and on the Potomac River.  It will get you on top of fish - quietly and even if you spook them on the way to a spot, they've returned after only a short period of time (as compared to motoring in with a boat/skiff).

With the Scotty mounts and the bungee grid, I have regularly taken two flyrods and a spinning rod - several 3600 tackle boxes and even a 45 quart cooler to sit on (and hold refreshing beverages).

I use a 5lb dumbbell for anchor and have used a kayak drouge to slow drift.

I do not currently use the fin it came with only because there are rocks where I paddle/fish.  I use a 9" Surfco Rubber fin so I don't annoy myself with nicks in the fin (which I would subsequently fix due to my anal retentive nature).

If you have had reservations about a fishing board - throw them ou tthe window and get one (this is a good one).

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
If you have had reservations about a fishing board - throw them ou tthe window and get one (this is a good one).
Just thought I would chime in and second your take on the board. I had thought of starting a thread comparing this to the SB Fisherman. After a summer with both boards I would get this one again before the SB. I have had the Hooked for three summers and this is the first with the Fisherman. The Fisherman is a good board, no doubt and I would still recommend it to someone looking at one.  I think it probably glides and tracks better, less hull slap, and is probably a little faster but the Hooked is my favorite of the two. I never did get out the same day with both to compare the two with a gps and "test" and evaluate like I thought I might. Still on my list just to confirm my own curiosity if nothing else.
At 6'4" and 215 lbs or so the Hooked is a much drier ride and with a much bigger deck area it really is just better for a full day or weekend out cruising. The rails on the Fisherman take up much of the deck space so although it is a wider board (36" vs 35.something") there isn't as much deck space on it. The Hooked glides and tracks just fine for what I am doing out there. I have paddled for miles. For loading up the Hooked is also much easier to load and unload from the top of my Tahoe. The Fisherman probably won't go out again this season and will come out last next season while I wait for the water to warm. My paddling is pretty limited to inland lakes.   
I have thought of throwing a chute out myself and will probably try it out now for sure.
First love kind of thing for me? I don't know and I hope my comparing the two here doesn't hijack your thread, I just wanted to chime in my love too.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
lucabrasi -

How have you found the durability between the two?  Is either one more resistant to chips/dings/scrapes than the other?  I have never seen a SB Fisherman in person, but from I have read, the finish was made to be a bit more resistant to the above forms of damage.  I believe the Aguera is made in the same factory as Jimmy Lewis boards and they have similar damage resistance (better than many of the others, but not the best and not impervious).  I've been happy with the Hooked SUP, but then again I am anal and take way more precaution than I need to with all my boards.

Extending the content of this thread some more, can the Bote owners weigh in on their experiences?  The boards look really nice and the rack accessory is a winner in my book - but I have never paddled one or seen one in action (catching a fish).

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:32 PM »
I am pretty sure the board is made in the same factory as the Jimmy Lewis boards. I got the impression somewhere that Alex and Jimmy are friends for a long time but not positive. I talked to Alex a few times while getting the board and he seems like a way great guy for sure.
There are rocks where I launch and land more often than not and the board seems pretty bomber. Way happy with it that way. I should get many more seasons out of it. I try and be careful but I am a big lumbering fool at times and my stuff can get worked pretty good.
The Fisherman seems fine but it does seem to be more fragile. I have only had it this season while the Hooked is going through it's third with me so it has a bit of catching up to do to make a final determination. Both have had small, minor.....blemishes on the bottom and the Fishermans seemed to....make a hole where the Hooked seems to be a dent if that makes sense. I did get a hole on top of one of the rails that I thought was rather odd. When loading it up that nite, after noticing it earlier, I think it came from one of the rails on my Tahoe. Only thing I could figure out. Kind of lined up with how I lift it up. It kind of reminds me more of loading a kayak. The huge rails on it make it pretty awkward. The standing area is thinner than the Hooked so the rails are so huge to give it it's massive stability I think. After using only it for about a month or so then loading up the Hooked the first day I used it this year I was amazed how much easier it is to pack around. I have not weighed them to compare. I should.
The Fisherman also definitely takes on more water on the deck and although it doesn't puddle or anything it does always seem to be wet and with snow all around me up higher today I don't think I will be paddling it again this season as I often try and keep my feet a little dry this time of year while paddling.  My crate is always wet too it seems on the Fisherman and not necessarily so with the Hooked.
Both of the boards are silly stable but I do think the Hooked wins there too.
Both of mine do have a mast track in them and I have no idea which would do that better. The Hooked planes better, the Fisherman seems to track and glide better. I have only used the stock fins on each and the Fishermans is more like a weed fin like you are using. I will swap fins next time on the Hooked and see what that does. I have wondered just how much difference on these boards that would make.
I guess the bottom line might be, Both are fun....I would trade the Fisherman for another board.....I do not think I would trade the Hooked for something else tho. If the Fisherman was my only board, not sure that would be the same answer, but it might be.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:22:35 PM by lucabrasi »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 03:45:27 AM »
Thought I would add this. My brother in law used the Fisherman a couple of times.
He hasn't been out that many times so the first time out I put him on the Hooked and I rode the Fisherman. We were blown off the lake as all we wanted to do was fish. I was definitely too big for the Fisherman. Me at 215 lbs, loaded with stuff, cold, cold water and wind made for an adventure.
Next times out with perfect glass water, he at 190 lbs and not as much stuff on the Fisherman, it was more than fine for him. Might have been fine for him the windy day too he thought.
It does have beautiful lines seeing it in the water for sure but then I can admire water craft shapes almost as much as the shapes of women.
Still wouldn't trade the Hooked for anything.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 06:13:09 PM »
I've checked the online dealers that sold the Aguera -

Seems like the boards are not currently available...  maybe a new batch is being ordered from the factory???

All I know is I've got mine and this is one board I can tell I will never get rid of - it is just way to versatile and stable.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal