Author Topic: ProBox Larry Finbox Destructive Test  (Read 27921 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
ProBox Larry Finbox Destructive Test
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
The quick and dirty test.

1.35 lb EPS from Carpenter
2 layers 4 oz S
Didn't even do a nice hot coat. Just a quick wetout of 2 layers.
Let sit for several weeks before sanding.

Hit each fin with a sledge hammer. Each blow stronger than the next until a failure showed. It took maybe 5 blows for each.

Probox never failed. The fin broke. The way you want it.
The FCS Fusion finbox failed before the fin. Bad!

FCS Fusion

Probox below
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:49:34 AM by DW »

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ProBox Larry Finbox Destructive Test
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
Impressive results!
Thanks for posting.

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:50:53 PM »
Hey DW, you know how to have fun!

Just one question, did your sledge have have a dihedral on the power-face? ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:55:37 PM by Bean »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »
Hey DW, you know how to have fun!

Just one question, did your sledge have have a dihedral on the power-face? ;D

You should have seen me trying to hold those samples and smash the fin. Very comical. I had to stand on the blocks. One foot each side of the fin, and swing the hammer between my legs without falling off. Good thing I'm used to standing on small boards.

Notice the smash marks on the fins  ;D  Those were new fins before the sledge hammer got them.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:17:08 PM by DW »

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
another reason not to get FCS fusion is that flies love it. Unless you like flies on your board, i would recommend against it. ;D

Good job on the test, samething happen this weekend too, the fin just snap off on my probox.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »
DW--did you use the roving or did you lay some glass underneath the box? And thanks for the sacrifice of some nice fins.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »
DW--did you use the roving or did you lay some glass underneath the box? And thanks for the sacrifice of some nice fins.

I can't remember. I'm old  ;D  I do remember trying many things and struggling. What finally ended up in there, not sure.

1) tried making some roving pulling strands from 4 oz. Didn't think it filled enough of that huge cavity.
2) tried lining the cavity with 2 layers 4oz. Again wanted more of the cavity filled.
3) tired number 1 and 2. That was a mess trying to fit it all in.
4) tried cutting a 1/2" wide strip off some 4oz cloth. Wrapped it with the 1/2 wide cloth. I liked that better.

I do remember it was a disaster trying to learn how to install this box.  Epoxy ran under the jig. It loosened the spray glue and the jig was floating away.

I was baffled by all the resin it was taking to fill around the box, until I saw the jig floating away. Oops  :P

I hated the clear-ish/white jigs. Larry what were you thinking  ???  I could barely see the jig through all the flying debris, while routing, because of that color. Give me a neon orange or yellow color  ;D  Old guys can't see either.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:55:08 AM by DW »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:05:49 AM »
For what its worth, I just used some 6oz glass in my pro box install. 

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
DW, Used to use other colors but in the Epoxy world the color from the jigs would bleed onto the clear boards but not with Polyester Resin never a problem. Also when you put tape down first when using Epoxy like the pic below. The epoxy won't attack the 77 spray (Glue) and epoxy leaking under the jigs won't happen my friend.

Thanks for the simple test, LOVE it when guys take things to the extreme and get it! because if I would do this people would SAY,"SURE LARRY you fixed it to do that!" LOL
Allison Race Fins

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »
That's also a good illustration of how you can trim the jigs for tighter fin clusters.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
Crushing into a surfboard is more common in a dry install and glassed over with Futures like the pic here than FCS Fusions. NO! the fins had no damage from hitting anything. I was justed in Hawaii and had a meeting at a surf shop in Town. The shop had a guy who just bought a new CI the day before and it had the same with Futures crushed into the board. The board had no damage and the fins had no marks from impact, but the waves were 4 to 5 feet the kid was surfing. The owner of the shop said he had never seen such a thing! The owner looked at me and said, "Larry have you ever seen this before?" I replied, "YES" The owner traded a new board to the customer which I thought was great customer service!
Allison Race Fins

malama

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »
I call bs on not hitting anything. Looks like a big pressure dent above the box.  Most likely shoddy workman ship on the install from the factory not to mention a "team light" glass job. It's the installer not the box. Can probox assure no amateur installs???? I placed 24 sets of futures last month with all the confidence that they will not fail. Always do pre glass unless retrofitted. And even the retrofitted with a patch do perfectly fine. Not sure what a dry install is and what my imagination tells me it is I think it is not recommended from futures.

Anything is better than FCS. Not surprised probox won in the pseudo scientific test. As far as the anecdotal pic story of the futures fail, it is only a testimony of poor craftsmanship from the board manufacture. Also, surfers are notorious liars when it comes to damage of new boards.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 04:49:21 PM »
I call bs on not hitting anything. Looks like a big pressure dent above the box.  Most likely shoddy workman ship on the install from the factory not to mention a "team light" glass job. It's the installer not the box. Can probox assure no amateur installs???? I placed 24 sets of futures last month with all the confidence that they will not fail. Always do pre glass unless retrofitted. And even the retrofitted with a patch do perfectly fine. Not sure what a dry install is and what my imagination tells me it is I think it is not recommended from futures.

Anything is better than FCS. Not surprised probox won in the pseudo scientific test. As far as the anecdotal pic story of the futures fail, it is only a testimony of poor craftsmanship from the board manufacture. Also, surfers are notorious liars when it comes to damage of new boards.

Thanks malama, For jumping in, I like when people share their experiences. The fins on this board had no damage and the board in Hawaii last week buckled while the guy was surfing. You are right most Glass shops are a major factor to failures for sure. As for Amateurs installing ProBox, they are better installors than most glass shops because Amateurs don't follow short cuts on their own boards. There are some glass shops that can install anything but more glass shops take short cuts than right way. A dry install is when the box is set into a foam structure then glassed over. This is the biggest down fall or failure problem of these finsystems. It is like trying to glue a box into a wet sponge and expecting it to stick and have structure support from the wet sponge, will never happen. Thanks malama for sharing. Mahalo,Larry
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:51:00 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

malama

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 06:18:22 PM »
Dry install...wow I can't imagine it. Never seen it done and it's the first I heard of it today. Would you ever buy a rack board from that company??

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
Dry install...wow I can't imagine it. Never seen it done and it's the first I heard of it today. Would you ever buy a rack board from that company??

Malama the majority of the rack boards are done that way. Which kills me that a ding repair makes more repairing one box than the glass shop makes doing the whole board. But install and strenght is only part of Probox Superiority over other systems. Performance to your board is another big factor that puts Probox Finsystem ahead of other shipping finsystems.
Allison Race Fins

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal