Author Topic: ProBox Larry Finbox Destructive Test  (Read 27987 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: ProBox Larry Finbox Destructive Test
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:30 AM »
Thought about this last night.

Riding my new Infinity Phoenix, I turned hard and the tail broke free...I let it slide a while and when I slid it back under my body I felt it "snap" back. Thought the fin box may have snapped.

Nope.

Turns out the moon fins just feel different than a thruster set up.

Good to know its strong!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »

Riding my new Infinity Phoenix, I turned hard and the tail broke free...I let it slide a while and when I slid it back under my body I felt it "snap" back. Thought the fin box may have snapped.

Nope.

Good to know its strong!

Surf Giant, You may want to change the cant on your fins more vertical listening to your description.What color insert is in your board now.
Allison Race Fins

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »

Nope.

Good to know its strong!

Surf Giant, You may want to change the cant on your fins more vertical listening to your description.What color insert is in your board now.

Dave started me out with the red inserts.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »

Nope.

Good to know its strong!

Dave started me out with the red inserts.

That's a good start at 4 degree, but if you are spinning out go to the Blue 0 degree and try that and tell me what you feel.
Allison Race Fins

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 12:30:22 PM »
Thx Larry.

I should add that I was trying to slide the tail.

I've discovered that this board needs to surfed further forward than my other boards. In fact, it's so short, I can practically surf it from a pretty fixed position and still slide the tail (purposefully), cutback and hit lip.

At first I was too far back and the tail was letting go too easily.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »
Futures boxes can be plenty strong if installed properly. The problem is that some don't seem to care to go somewhere beyond the routine way.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 02:40:13 PM »
I spent some time on the beach today teaching guys about the new fin boxes (probox) in my boards.

On a 1 to 10 scale, 10 being the loosest. I had my board set on 8 today. Try that with Futures or FCS  ???  YOU CAN'T.

With pro box these are the possibilities

1) all 4 fins spaced 1" wider with 6 degrees on front, 4 back
2) all 4 fins spaced 1" closer, 6 degrees and 4
3) all 4 fins forward 1/2", 6 degrees and 4
4) all 4 fins back 1/2", 6 degrees and 4
5) repeat all 4 settings above, but with 8 degrees and 4 angles.
That takes me to 8 combinations, plus some in-between settings not listed.

About 10 settings in total that greatly affect handling. So much so, you probably can make the board do anything you want, without ever buying another set of fins.

With Futures or FCS, if you're not happy with the stock handling, you'll be spending $100 for each new set of fins while you try to make it suit your surfing style.

It becomes a no brainer when ordering a custom board in my opinion, to make them install pro boxes.

In fairness to the other brands, I get it. Those boxes are fast and easy to install in a production operation. Proboxes take a little more effort. But its worth it when its your money.

Sorry for the rant. Spending time on the beach teaching people about it, got me all fired up  ;D

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:42:19 PM by DW »

malama

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
I love probox users. While they are on the beach trying all the combinations I am catching all the waves.javascript:replaceText('%20;D',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

No, you are right, the combinations are awesome and the extra money spent in ordering them pay off 10 times over when considering fins. 95% of my customers don't care about fin set ups and the 5% who are particular know what they want and it is provided for them no matter what it is.
You are are particular and your crew is too. You are the 5% of the SUP world.

Are there any problems you have ever had with them?? You know, lost my inserts, got stuck, wont come out, broke.
Lots of work goes into fine tuning a board. Sounds like you guys are having a blast at it!!!!

BTW, as a registered business since 1999, fins are all wholesale. There are no $100 a set fins.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
I pay retail. I'm not in business. I don't take orders. I give my designs away free. My buddies get copies made by the Greenroom. When I retire, that will change.

For 3/4 of the people I know surfing my designs (reproduced by the Greenroom, or my old personal boards sold off used) my fin recommendation is right. But a few guys like a feel that is weird to me. I know one guy who likes all his boards to slide out in the tail. Another likes massive power under his foot.

Those guys have to spend $$$ to get it dialed.

Some people just surf their boards with any old shit stuck in the box and could care less. I actually saw a guy with a new shortboard today, with 3 side bites for fins, because he didn't want to buy fins and he had those laying around. There is nothing we can do about people like that.

malama

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »
You guys are into it so you actually care. Glad you found the system that works for you. OF course no system is perfect for all people. I would really be interested in any down sides of the system as a user.(not installer). I find that not all people treat their boards with kids gloves. Just interested to hear any concerns after long term normal use.
 Preferences you describe about loose or power stuck are  because of lots of reason in the shape. That 1 person can switch boards with another and adjust the probox to make it get their feel is great.  Sounds like an ideal system for stock boards.

I have done repairs on boards and received it  with the right and left side bites switched to the wrong side.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 09:32:45 PM »
The hammer tests look like it could be fun.  Always fun to let a firing Pistol to test everything.   

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
I would really be interested in any down sides of the system as a user.(not installer). I find that not all people treat their boards with kids gloves. Just interested to hear any concerns after long term normal use.

FCS fins falling out.

Because the box provides a lot of fore and aft adjustment, you can slide the fin forward enough that the grub screw misses the recess milled in the fin tab. So your fin ends up being held by screw pressure only. If the screw comes loose, the fin falls out.

Now if I were in production as a real business, I would sell the boards with Larry's fins and eliminate that problem. Counting down the days to retirement and doing this as my retirement side job.  ;D Ugh, tired of being an engineer trapped in a cubical.

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
i agree most surfer dont care much about adjustment, they just want to stick with one setup that work for them.  But i rather have a system that is adjustable and have the shaper setup the fin, than having a fin system that can't be adjust for different condition.
getsupngo, i just took my first windsurfing class, its way harder than it looks.  I still trying to figure out the wind angles, etc.
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
I love probox users. While they are on the beach trying all the combinations I am catching all the waves.

Love Future users that are running to the surf shop to find the right fin on the fin tree to work since no one knows what fins to use, not to forget the lack of drive their boards have  because the fins are flexing down into the box so they won't roll under neath the glass jobs. And the Probox user"s are flying past everyone with the right fins and catching waves early because of the drive their boards have using Probox Finsystems catching air like this guy in OZ.
Allison Race Fins

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
Forgot about those Futures fin trees. You made me laugh  ;D ;D

My second board with ProBox. Stoked on how it turned out.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:20:06 AM by DW »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]