Author Topic: [Carpal Tunnel] Looking for alternatives to carrying Sup board by hand...  (Read 5267 times)

mikelosup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Hi,
Suffering from "Carpal Tunnel" it is hard for me to carry my 1.all arround and 2.wave stand up paddle boards, anytime and anywhere...

I would like to find alternatives or tricks as an alternative to carrying stand up paddle board by hand...

I daily notice the big difference between my surf shortboard / longboard and stand up paddle boards due to their size and weight... It really matters and makes me mad...!

??? Any techique to carry the board, apart from by hand?

??? Should I use a shoulder strap? Doesn´t it force the shoulders too much? Any advices?

??? And about a trolley? How do you deal with it?

Any comments will be appreciated and photos as well... Thanks :-)
Mike
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:39:27 AM by mikelosup »

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Sounds like you have the medical justification to order a brand new custom carbon fiber board...  :-)

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
carry it on your shoulder(not a shoulder strap) is pretty easy and i can walks forever on it.  http://www.supthemag.com/how-to-sup/how-to-sup-board-basics-carrying-your-board/
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
gorgebob's shop has pairs of wheels that renters use to wheel the boards to the water.  They just leave or lock them up onshore while paddling.  There've been some past threads where people have posted ones they've made, and some can be bought also (don't know brands).  They're very common for use on kayaks. 

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Have you tried a glove that has some grip to it?  The glove would reduce the need to grip so hard.  Stick them out of the way for paddling.

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
What kind of handle do you have on the board?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Mule--good stuff, simple, durable, light, and it breaks down into a bag about the size of a big book. I've tied the bag onto the nose of my board when I didn't know for sure where I was getting out of the water. http://muletransportsystems.com/index.html
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
carry it on your shoulder(not a shoulder strap) is pretty easy and i can walks forever on it.  http://www.supthemag.com/how-to-sup/how-to-sup-board-basics-carrying-your-board/
     This^^^^^^^  I never carry my board by hand handle. Always up on my shoulder. Easy Peezy.

The_Dude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
You might have a touch of thoracic outlet syndrome either in addition to the carpal tunnel syndrome or instead of CTS. This is the other common place that the median nerve can be pinched. You might try simply standing very upright when you carry the board (chest out, shoulders back, head looking to horizon) and see if you notice a difference. The nerve conduction studies for thoracic outlet syndrome aren't all that accurate and I suspect many people have CTS surgery when the real culprit was TOS.

If the culprit is indeed CTS then it might the constant, isometric contraction of the forearm flexors while holding the board that is sending the median nerve 'over the top' if it were. This hypothesis would be further supported if you're able to paddle without problems since paddling involves a series of concentric (intermittent) contractions instead of a steady (isometric) contraction of the forearm flexors. You might try doing mini 'finger raises' while holding the board. That is, raise the board slightly and then low slightly using only finger strength. Don't know if it will work but certainly worth a try.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:28:32 PM by The_Dude »

mikelosup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Thanks very much for your comments. I really appreciate them and will try all recommended versions.

Just a quick note to hbsteve: What kind of glove do you refer to? Sorry Englisn is not my native language and do not understand.

Thanks

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
My first thought was a general hardware store leather work glove.  I lived in Montana for a few years.  Work gloves not only saved some skin, but also made the work a little easier, especially carrying bricks for a new wall.
My next choice would be a sailing glove, same idea.
Again, I don't have the problem you have.  But, from using gloves for carrying heavy things, I thought it might be an inexpensive solution.

mikelosup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
I will take note about the gloves, and other comments. Thanks very much for your help.
 :o
Mikelo

trailertrashed

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Home depot. Go get a ladder hook. It's flat at the top (handle) and the ends "hook" down on either side. It extends your reach and you don't have to hold the board with your fingertips. Works really well.

SUPerSwede

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
If you have that severe CTS andconservative treatment with a wrist orthosis and physiotherapy doesn't help, I'd suggest considering surgery. You'll be able to prone surf in 3 weeks and hold a paddle in 5-6.
Just a thought from an ortho...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
     This^^^^^^^  I never carry my board by hand handle. Always up on my shoulder. Easy Peezy.
+1...keep it simple

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]