Author Topic: Waterproof GPS - which is best for SUP?  (Read 33507 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waterproof GPS - which is best for SUP?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
if you are getting a phone- look at the Sony Xperia Z ( IPx7) or better the new Z1- (IPx8)

I would not mount them on deck- but you can carry them i any pocket, pull em out and see your endomondo or google tracks info, you can take a fall in the water and they are waterproof. You can wash em off after session
You can also take fantastic video/photos and even live broadcast video to Face Book with SocialLive with Z1.
Z1 has waterproof 3.5mm audio jack and you can listen to whatever during paddle if you want.

I use these products all the time on my SUP. I work for Sony

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 11:39:19 AM »
+1 on the Garmin 310xt watch.  There have been some solid deals on these floating around recently and Distressed Mullett has a few write ups on how to set functions etc.  I got the package from Garmin with a heart monitor band and computer software for auto link but paid full price a year ago.  

other:  I attach the watch to my hyration chest strap as i dont like to wear watches but I can still view the readout while paddling. Works great! Also holds a charge well! had an issue with the band snaping near the casing as I dropped it…duct tape! 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:44:31 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »
+1 on the Garmin 310xt watch.  There have been some solid deals on these floating around recently and Distressed Mullett has a few write ups on how to set functions etc.  I got the package from Garmin with a heart monitor band and computer software for auto link but paid full price a year ago.  

other:  I attach the watch to my hyration chest strap as i dont like to wear watches but I can still view the readout while paddling. Works great! Also holds a charge well! had an issue with the band snaping near the casing as I dropped it…duct tape! 

Good idea strapping it onto hydration pack.  Thanks.

I've never worn anything on my body, no trinkets or even a watch so wearing a clunky Garmin 305 was an abrupt assault to the feeling of being free and uncluttered by stupid accessories.  It's bad enough having to carry water and wear a hat, sunnies and long sleeve shirt for the sun.  I do like seeing what my path was on a run but have seen that average speed is fairly contingent on conditions which here on Maui, vary greatly.  For me, downwinding speed just means the day was good or not. 

But the original poster is a flat water guy so my input isn't helpful.  I'd say that speed puck looks cool.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
I like the ones you can put on your deck and read as you stroke. I like to see which strokes and techniques are the most efficient. I think I'll pick one up. Thanks for the input!
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

PAC-SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
My latest Garmin 610 was an absolute disappointment.  Never did get the watch to connect to PC and after 3 months the touchscreen face stopped working.....so I had...a watch...

Replaced it with the Suunto Ambit2.  Love it.  Does everything I need and does it well.
Fanatic Falcon 12'6 x 25 Carbon
JP Fusion 9'8 x 31 WSGL

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
if you are getting a phone- look at the Sony Xperia Z ( IPx7) or better the new Z1- (IPx8)

I would not mount them on deck- but you can carry them i any pocket, pull em out and see your endomondo or google tracks info, you can take a fall in the water and they are waterproof. You can wash em off after session
You can also take fantastic video/photos and even live broadcast video to Face Book with SocialLive with Z1.
Z1 has waterproof 3.5mm audio jack and you can listen to whatever during paddle if you want.

I use these products all the time on my SUP. I work for Sony

Other option is the ZR. I used the waterproof feature yesterday.  Any idea when the Z1 will be available in the US market?

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
I am surprised nobody has made a paddle mount for the GPS watches....would that not be handy?
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:38 PM »
55NSup, Are all Xperia waterproof phones equally waterproof, or are some models known to be a bit more robust?

I'd get one as a second phone so am thinking cheap like the GO.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 04:02:10 AM »
I carry my iPhone in a life proof case in my fanny pack or pocket.
It runs GPS Motion X/   Every 1/8 mile a voice tells me my average speed and distance traveled.

I also have a Locosys GT 11 velcroed to the deck for instantaneous speed readout that is waterproof and gets doused with waves over the deck.

If you have an iPhone and you don't have the GPS motion X app, I highly recommend it.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 04:50:20 AM »
I've been using SportyPal app on my android phone.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »
If you have an iPhone and you don't have the GPS motion X app, I highly recommend it.

I wish they had an Android version.  :(
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
I have the speed puck and love that thing. To record my workouts I use the sportstracker app on my iPhone. It's free and works really well. To keep the phone dry I'm using a otter box armor series. Got one on groupon for $25. A friend of mine mentioned this thing http://www.nkhome.com/rowing-sports-products/sup-performance/speedcoach-sup-with-heart-rate Did anyone test the speed coach yet? I'm really tempted to get rid of the speed puck and get one of these.
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
I love my Garmin 310XT. It was my upgrade from the older Forerunner 305 which was also good but a little less comfortable to wear and eventually the battery started to not hold a charge well. Garmin's website is pretty cool (Garmin Connect).

I love being able to see the line I took and to compare data from the same run on different days with different conditions. I don't even notice that I'm wearing the thing. My original band broke at the clasp about a month ago and I was able to replace it with an old Timex band I had laying around, which I actually like better for ease of use and comfort.

I also really like that I have a record of nearly every paddle I've ever done on Garmin Connect. When I can't go paddle, I can go back and marvel at some of the amazing runs I've had if I start really needing something to cheer me up.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
I agree a lot with covesurfer.  But, I have the 910XT.   Where I paddle the tides aren't really that strong.  However, it is very interesting to look back and see where my speed changed a lot, as a result of the tide.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »
with the current form factor of camera GPS antennas and electronics, I'm surprised we aren't seeing them in more stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again