Author Topic: Cover songs.  (Read 205542 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Cover songs.
« Reply #285 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
I have been a Tom Petty fan for 4 decades...this cover of "I Won't Back Down" has taken on greater significance for my wifey and I, after being in attendance at the Route 91 music festival in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago as Jason Aldean was closing it out when the shooting started...and, then learning of the passing of TP as we were driving home...we're still processing...but, like others have said...music has the power to heal...

We've seen all of these artists...some more than once...Jason Aldean, Keith Urban, Chris Stapleton, & Little Big Town perform separately...we're big live music fans...but, awesome to see them all come together last night in Nashville giving Jason Aldean a lift back up on the musical horse...

Great tribute to Tom Petty...R.I.P.

https://youtu.be/upd8nVJr7lc

#StokedForLife #VegasStrong #IWontBackDown
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »
jeeze dog---glad you werent hit, and hope you arent too traumatized---wow

you and wifey've obviously had an enviable life, full of adventure, and that you are an archivist extraordinaire (and share) has been a pleasure for me

i was appreciating that your archivism includes music...before i read the text of your post

scary----that situation feels less distant knowing you were there

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #287 on: October 19, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »
This one is a bit off-topic of cover songs.  I hope y'all are OK with me posting this here.

Yesterday Gord Downie passed away after a 2-year battle with an aggressive brain cancer. If you've heard Canadians talk about Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip, you might have wondered what all the fuss was about. Here's what the New York Times had say:

The place of honor that Mr. Downie occupies in Canada's national imagination has no parallel in the United States. Imagine Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Michael Stipe combined into one sensitive, oblique poet-philosopher, and you're getting close.

Here's a clip of the band after they had asserted themselves as the top band in the country in the mid-90s. They kept producing music right through to 2016 and released their final album after Gord Downie's terminal diagnosis. Over half the country tuned in for their final show which was broadcast coast to coast on the national TV station. He meant a lot to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovf9THhbaHg
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2017, 01:24:24 AM »
Thanks for these posts. Always bittersweet when people pass, but especially so when bright lights like these guys...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 20, 2017, 03:17:35 AM »
Don't know if this has shown up here. Sturgill Simpson covering Nirvana. One of the best covers I've ever heard. My 17 year old son is a rock guitarist and huge Nirvana fan, he is blown away by this too. Amazing how a voice and different arrangement can completely transform a song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDYfkymaSE
Bunch of old shit

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: October 20, 2017, 10:45:59 AM »
I have been a Tom Petty fan for 4 decades...this cover of "I Won't Back Down" has taken on greater significance for my wifey and I, after being in attendance at the Route 91 music festival in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago as Jason Aldean was closing it out when the shooting started...and, then learning of the passing of TP as we were driving home...we're still processing...but, like others have said...music has the power to heal...

Hey Warren,

Were you in the crowd during the shooting?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »
jeeze dog---glad you werent hit, and hope you arent too traumatized---wow

you and wifey've obviously had an enviable life, full of adventure, and that you are an archivist extraordinaire (and share) has been a pleasure for me

i was appreciating that your archivism includes music...before i read the text of your post

scary----that situation feels less distant knowing you were there

Aloha eastbound,
Thanks for the note...Deb and myself are big time into live music...of all genres...it's been part of the glue that's held our relationship together over the decades...
We were at a number of the same concerts growing up...before we met each other...
We both worked concerts in college after we hooked up...I worked with lighting...Deb was chosen by Carlos Santana to keep the "evil spirits" away from his guitars...
I had to have a chat once with Eddie Money after he tried to heavily pick up on her at his show...he told her something about having "two tickets to paradise"...;-)

We celebrated our 30th anniversary by seeing U2 twice when they played in LA...etc...

Back to Vegas...our first visit, BTW...things were going great for 3 days until they weren't...we had great music...beautiful weather...beautiful people...great food...good times...etc...
Then the clock rolled up to 10:00 PM on Sunday night and all hell broke loose...
It was very scary...beyond actually, because the terror didn't stop once we were out of the event site...we experienced bomb threats and multiple reports of shooters inside the hotel into the night...lots of uncertainty...

We ended up sheltering in place with 15 other people that we didn't know in a hotel room (Excalibur) away from ours (Luxor) because it was on lockdown...a guy named Ralph offered it up and we ran like hell as a group to get inside there...lights out...curtains drawn...everyone down on the floor...there was a pregnant woman that had a panic attack...a veteran with multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan that snored the whole time...etc...surreal...still is...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »

Hey Warren,

Were you in the crowd during the shooting?

Aloha Randy,
Affirmative...my camera recorded this as we were running for our lives...after having the time of our lives...covered with blood splatters...Deb had it all down her face and in her hair...
The shoulder and back of my shirt had enough on it that a medic stopped us and assessed me for shrapnel...a mysterious wound on my leg had to be X-rayed...

https://youtu.be/q5ORKnqd6bc

We were standing to the left of the sound engineer booth (1st pic) while Jason Aldean played "Any Ol' Barstool" when we heard the first shots...you can see the Mandalay in the background...so, we were in the line of fire...we actually had been closer to the stage earlier and had moved back a bit...a woman near us was hit and screamed "I'm gonna die!"...we think that's where the blood we were splattered with came from...I heard the bullet whiz by...I heard the thud...

https://youtu.be/eES9hFvayUs

The main reason that Deb and I went to this concert festival in Las Vegas...a place that we have never been other than driving past on the way to Utah...was to see Eric Church...CHIEF...

His performance on the first night of the festival was EPIC!!!...his last concert of the year...they played their hearts out...48 hours before the carnage started...
We were very close to the stage...the area where a large portion of the fatal shots landed...

https://youtu.be/ODcWrFNkGoI

So, the ultimate cover song of the 3 day festival ended up being "God Bless America" by Big & Rich...
I recorded this 3 hours before the shooting began...we moved a bit closer for Jake Owen...who was on right before Aldean...then, went to the other stage to catch a bit of Luke Combs...prolly saved our lives...then, we made our way back towards the main stage for the grand finale...

https://youtu.be/GHoOs_wESbE

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:15:35 PM by SUP Sports ® »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: October 20, 2017, 06:31:07 PM »
Wow.  I appreciate your delivery and am thankful you and your wife are safe. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2017, 04:04:24 AM »
Warren!  We are very lucky to still have you. 

I am sure everyone here has watched these escalating attacks on the news and considered how they would want to react if they were in the crowd.  But how to you react to a guy shooting down you at that rate?  Where is he?  One guy, one location, a team?  There is no basis for sound decision.

So glad that you kept your calm, headed in a safe direction and both made it out. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 21, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »
I   can't  believe  what  you  went  through  and probably  still  processing .  we're  all glad  you  got out  unscathed .

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: October 21, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

Mahalos guys for the kind thoughts...

My trademarked mantra "Stoked For Life" has never rung more true to Deb and myself...especially, after this unfathomable act of evil of being stocked from a sniper's lair to increase the statistical body count of prey for days before he finally gathered the gumption to proceed with this meticulously planned slaughter of innocent human beings without fear of being wrestled to the ground by the concert goers in the darkness of night...

What's next? bio-weapons...drones and dirty bombs at the World Series?!?!
There has already been movies made about this kind of incarnate evil...but, there is always a motive to satisfy the movie plot...so far, that's not the case in this event...which just brings the whacked conspiracy theorists out of the woodwork...it's hard to believe the comments that I've had to delete off of my You Tube clips and have read on others...actually, it's downright sickening...whether Russian bots or actual humans, the venom is bitter...

Believe me...even though ya'll weren't in attendance...your life as you knew it has changed also...just as it did for us all after 9/11...humanity has been permanently harmed again...

I have a high level of situational awareness that has served me well throughout my life...problem solving and trouble shooting come natural...MacGyver has inspired me through some sticky and difficult situations...etc...

In fact, I could write dozens of stories about dodging metaphorical bullets from our travels over the decades deep in the Baja to deep in jungles and remote beaches of mainland Mexico...as well as a few other places in the world we have traveled when there was an element of surprise that sent adrenaline racing...but, nothing really prepares you for literally dodging hundreds of rounds being fired over your head from an unknown source...

Every single decision that you made was literally life and death...total uncertainty cloaked every path forward with doubt and fear...fast spreading rumors of bombs...multiple shooters in tactical gear...etc...

This wasn't supposed to happen...an NBA playoff sized group of people peacefully assembled together to enjoy 3 days of top shelf country music at an outdoor venue...being shot at like fish in a bowl...as the festival was into the final act of the...up until that point...beautiful evening...

So ironic that as concert goers we went through extra security screening...we even had the TSA wrist bands after being finger printed and passing background checks...a new feature at concerts and sport events for faster entry and shorter lines...

Back to situational awareness...we made sure that we got solid sleep in...and, even though it is fashionable to wear jeans and boots to country concerts...we wore shorts and running shoes, despite the fact that we both have some pretty nice Ropers...mostly because we got a lot of walking in...big city blocks...we had 25 miles in by the time the 3rd day of the festival started...even still...it's hard to sprint while in a crouched position holding hands...ducking behind the nearest possible shield after every magazine unload...

We were lucky...very lucky...wasn't our time to go...but, who knew that you had best leave lots of gas in the tank for what was to come as the clock ticked towards 10 PM...fortunately for us some big hombres had just knocked down a fence to create a new exit...which sped up our escape out of the concert venue...also, we bonded with a great group of strangers that included a couple of dudes with military backgrounds...strength in numbers we all thought...

In our group of 15 there were lots of folks who were suffering blisters and their boots slowed them down on escape...as well as 3 days and nights of partying...lack of sleep...separation from friends and family...one gal was 7 months pregnant suffering a panic attack...lost cell phones...etc...but, we all pulled together sharing individual skill sets and being united to confront whatever problem or potential enemy we faced...making sure that everyone made it to Ralph's room safely...or, what we hoped and prayed was safety...

Be kind...and, stay stoked for life...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 21, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
SUP Sports,

That’s a remarkable story. So glad you and your wife made it out O.K.

Terrible, terrible, senseless act of cowardice.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 27, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »
There is a country western singer name Drake White who does a lot of cover songs from other artists, but he also writes his own music. This song below is one he wrote and it has great lyrics, a good melody and Drake's voice can "really bring it". You can feel the energy Drake himself puts into this song. I hope some of you like it. BTW, I love the sound of the base guitar in this song.

Drake White and Big Fire - "Hearbeat" (Live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQy-cg4LmIk
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: October 27, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
SUP Sports,

That’s a remarkable story. So glad you and your wife made it out O.K.

Terrible, terrible, senseless act of cowardice.

Agreed...thanks for the positive thoughts, Quickbeam...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal