Author Topic: Custom SUPs  (Read 23660 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Custom SUPs
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
Ok so now I think it is sinking in -- first board I laid a straight carbon strip on the deck curved down both rails - and now I find I have some cracks along that line -- Stress Risers ?
The seconds one I laid carbon (like carbon toe with carbon hairs all over)
is that staggard looking edge breaking --The stress Risers ?

It that what you all are talking about --
thanks for being patient !!!

willi

Carbon puts a stiff spot in the board. The end of the carbon becomes the hinge point for failure.

Any time you put a deck patch on a board, the failure point becomes the edge of that patch. So you try to feather the flex and reduce the hinge point affect.

Windsurfers are severely affected by this. They were the first to feather deck patches. Otherwise the boards snapped when they jumped them.

You can see the diagonal cut deck patches on all the carbon Starboard SUPs and surfboards. It shows thru that white, streak sanded finish.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:41:31 PM by DW »

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
DW,
Do you vacuum bag all of your customs?

notahogsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
This is a fascinating subject to someone who knows little about modern epoxy board construction. What is the purpose of vacuum bagging? is it necessary and do most custom builders use it? I'm hoping to be more informed on my next board purchase.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
Vaccum bagging is a lot like clamping two boards together to get a stronger glue-bond. It also helps draw out excess resin, which results in lighter and stronger board.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »
DW,

yes

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:58 PM »
DW,

yes

hey dw what are you using to regulate vacuum pressure on your set up? switch or a valve?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:54 AM »
DW,

yes

hey dw what are you using to regulate vacuum pressure on your set up? switch or a valve?

Valve

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »
DW,

yes

Valve

cheers thanks im struggling to try and find a switch to run my setup so the pump is not running constant but turns out thats harder than you think :S  do you do the fin boxes after bagging or throw them in there before hand as normal?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 04:46:57 AM »
DW,

yes

Valve

cheers thanks im struggling to try and find a switch to run my setup so the pump is not running constant but turns out thats harder than you think :S  do you do the fin boxes after bagging or throw them in there before hand as normal?

My pump runs continuous. But it's designed to run that way without problems. It only needs to run a few hours.

FCS Fusions before glassing. Probox after hot coat.

BrentP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:25 AM »
I know there's a decent number of Infinity Sup lovers. But mine was the most fragile board I've ever owned in 25 years of surfing. Maybe it was just a weak glass job, but I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.
Can't help but chuckle at statements like this. It's like when someone breaks a leash and says "bro dakine leashes are the WORST leashes out there" they are nor more or less superior from another brand. In reality Dakine, OAM, Creatures of Leasure, FCS etc... all share the same factories. Same materials, same mfg, different marketing.

did you know Infinity is mfg in the same glass shop as Corran, 404, Riviera, Chelu, Stewart, hobie etc?? Everyone is using the same materials. it's all about how you use it. what's the best strength to weight? it's all opinion depending on what you like. lighter? or stronger?

not trying to call you out Cardiff, i actually agree with many things you comment on here. i pay attention in the background. i've just noticed you've said a couple random comments targeted at Infinity (yes i work for Infinity) and it just seems like you have a chip.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 11:30:50 AM »
^
Just stating my opinion on the board I had and was quite disappointed. And I stand behind that quote you posted. The current owner loves it, though. :)

I only mentioned what happened to my board. I did not bash Infinity.
Paying $1,200 for a board to have it damage pretty easily isn't going to make me say positive things about it. I think even you'd be surprised at how easily it was scratched and dinged.  

I like Starboards, but don't think they are the end-all be-all of boards. It's the durability and low maintenance that sells me on them . They are stiff, hurt my feet, and are unforgiving.

Some Infinity boards I've ridden were quite fast. Be happy I bought one. As a paying customer, I reserve the right to critique what I buy. (And am no expert. Just another kook on a Sup.)
:)

I supported my local Infinity shop.
Customer service is top notch.
But buying local, doesn't mean you're buying the best...which is completely and totally subjective.

What if my local shaper made horrible boards?  Why would I support him?  I don't like pissing my money away.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:44 AM »
I know there's a decent number of Infinity Sup lovers. But mine was the most fragile board I've ever owned in 25 years of surfing. Maybe it was just a weak glass job, but I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough.
Can't help but chuckle at statements like this. It's like when someone breaks a leash and says "bro dakine leashes are the WORST leashes out there" they are nor more or less superior from another brand. In reality Dakine, OAM, Creatures of Leasure, FCS etc... all share the same factories. Same materials, same mfg, different marketing.

did you know Infinity is mfg in the same glass shop as Corran, 404, Riviera, Chelu, Stewart, hobie etc?? Everyone is using the same materials. it's all about how you use it. what's the best strength to weight? it's all opinion depending on what you like. lighter? or stronger?

not trying to call you out Cardiff, i actually agree with many things you comment on here. i pay attention in the background. i've just noticed you've said a couple random comments targeted at Infinity (yes i work for Infinity) and it just seems like you have a chip.

Been thinking about adding the following logos to my boards....

"Comp Glassing:
"Dura Glassing"

More fair to the original buyer, and the guy it gets sold to later.

Solves problems for everybody.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 12:37:11 PM »
Brent and Cardiff, points well made by both dudes...

Carry on.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
Great Idea DW.  

Sure I want light, but I want durability over lightness by a good margin.  The sliding scale somewhere between rotomolded plastic and a featherlight glass job is a buyers perogative.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Traveling with DW foilboard?
[Foil SUP]
spindrift
February 27, 2024, 12:28:20 PM
post Re: Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 08:57:58 PM
[Foil SUP]
Dusk Patrol
February 26, 2024, 02:53:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
February 26, 2024, 02:30:21 PM
[SUP General]
PonoBill
February 26, 2024, 01:21:01 PM
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 10:07:42 AM
[SUP General]
PonoBill
February 26, 2024, 09:19:03 AM
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 07:36:39 AM
[SUP General]
Badger
February 26, 2024, 03:00:03 AM
post Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 25, 2024, 09:05:48 PM
post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
February 25, 2024, 07:36:36 PM
[Foil SUP]
jondrums
February 25, 2024, 04:47:59 PM
post Assorted foils, wings and boards for sale.
[Classifieds]
B-Walnut
February 25, 2024, 02:14:27 PM
post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
February 25, 2024, 09:17:42 AM
post Re: WTB: Kalama E3 Wing Board - 131 ltr or 141 ltr
[Classifieds]
Fird
February 25, 2024, 05:33:55 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal