Author Topic: Washington Coast? Anyone?  (Read 14175 times)

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Washington Coast? Anyone?
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »
Hi, new to the forum and SUP.

Is there anyone on here who SUS the Washington coast?

I have been mostly going to Ocean Shores (Jetty and Damon Point). My folks farm Cranberries on the North Bay which is why I usually head that direction. Get a 2 for one, visit Ma and Pa and get in a session.

I would really like to SUS with someone else. On flag day weekend we had head high surf I surfed Damon Point and there was another SUSer out that day. Great day. Short waist to head high rights 100 feet from the parking lot. The point I usually surf had 15 proners on it, which never happens.

When the surf is smaller I have still been having so much fun out at Damon, you can paddle out to the point in about 15 minutes from the parking lot, which is way better than when we used to walk out there to surf. When the tide is low enough the open ocean swells break over a sandbar about 100 yards offshore. Rights and lefts, sometimes pitching hollow. I have never seen anyone else surf there except me, and it is pretty uncomfortable to be out in the Harbor alone. There is a lot of current, crab pots, seals, and you are a ways offshore. The beach break is okay there, but it shifts so much that hunting peaks is the name of the game. Still it is a great place to learn to SUS, small waves and way easier to get out through the whitewater than at N. Jetty. Bring short fins, it is shorebreak unless you go to the sandbar out in the harbor.

I am going to be camping up on the Olympic Peninsula next weekend, will try some of the beaches up there that I haven't got to SUS yet. I think there is quite a bit of untapped potential up here. Go to this site it is aerial photos of every inch of Washington state beaches https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/coastalatlas/tools/ShorePhotos.aspx  you will see that headlands protect plenty of beaches/breaks that are only accessible via the water. You will have to use your imagination, they take the photos on calm clear days so there is rarely surf.

Anyway, if there are any SUSers heading to the coast PM me, I live on the way. Lets have some fun.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Washington Coast? Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:41 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner...I live in Seattle and occasionally SUS in Washington, usually at Crescent Beach in the Straits on a decent NW swell.  Thanks for the tip on Damon Point - I've both prone and SU surfed Westport and don't enjoy the beatdowns I always seem to endure at the Jetty.  I don't get out too often but I'll give you a heads up next time I go.

DCSurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
Hey SUP Leave,
 Thanks for the surf tip at Damon. We kite surf there all winter, And now I  bring the paddleboard on most trips there. Today was good at Westport, and I will go again on Wed. Gotta take advantage of these great fall conditions .  We also have had several good days at ocean shores and Pacific beach this summer.  Hope to see you at the point someday soon

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:48 AM »
My cousin may move to the San Juan Islands. Any surfable spots for SUP? Paddling looked spectacular. Thanks, Mr. Big..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
Funny that this thread popped up again. My wife and I are heading from NY to WA to take care of her mother and I've been meaning to post some general questions about the region(I'll do so on a new thread) We will be living in the Tacoma region. Look forward to meeting some NW Zoners. See you soon!

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
No surf in the San Juan Islands unless it's a wake from a ferry boat.  Nearest waves would be along the Strait or, once in a blue moon, on Whidbey Island (which isn't considered part of the San Juans).

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »
Yeah. Looked beautiful for flatwater. Any swells would never get in there. Thanks so much for reply. How about the coast?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Shark

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:09 AM »
The most popular spots on the coast are (north to south) Hobuck's Beach just south of Cape Flattery, LaPush just west of Forks and Westport on the south end of the entrance to Grays Harbor.  The Strait is usually a better bet in the winter though, especially for SUP but you have to watch for a decent size NW swell.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
I haven't checked this message board for a while. Nice to see some fellow NW suppers out here. I actually sort of take a break in the fall due to hunting/fishing/cranberry harvesting.

I have stared longingly at my board a few times because it hangs right over my river sled.

I will be braving it again as the winter rolls on, but right now focus is heavy on harvesting this winters food!

Hope to see some of you on the water.
Make paddleboarding great again!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal