Author Topic: Composite Sandwich Construction for SUP  (Read 10750 times)

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Composite Sandwich Construction for SUP
« on: June 24, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
9'0" x 31.5" x 4.25"

Seeing the trend of wave SUP's going down in size... I decided to also experiment with producing my Custom SUP's using a light-weight /super-strong construction method. I made this 9'0" the same way I have been building light and strong sailboards for many years.. via composite or sandwich construction.  www.foote-surfboards.com

To read more details on my construction method, and how this board rode, go to my Blog page     http://foote-surfboards.com/category/wavesup/

I would be interested in your feedback on the value of this technology in the market of Custom Wave SUP's. The board is on display and available for test-ride and purchase at Foote-Surfboards Retail and Rental outlet ... 808 Boards Lahaina, Maui  www.808boards.com

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Composite Sandwich Construction for SUP
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
I think it would be the best of both worlds to be able to get that construction with the advantage of a custom, especially if you can make it price competitive with the production guys.

I just switched boards going from a 9'0" that was just a standard EPS/Epoxy lam board that weighed 24 pounds to a JP 9'6" (similar volume) that weighs in around 18 lbs with the pad. 

Construction I am told is similar to what you did, but without the carbon patch.  I'd love to duplicate this board but chop "8-12" off and still have it stable enough for me.  The 8'10" version of this board loses 2" in width and about 20 liters of volume.  Best surfing SUP I've ridden.  This board retails for $2000.  The only issue I see is convincing the group of people who think the offshore production composite boards are the best (as opposed to going custom) and think those companies know what is best and the other group who may not like the feel of the composite boards.

How much is the board pictured?
How much does it weigh?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
9'0" x 31.5" x 4.25"
Seeing the trend of wave SUP's going down in size...

Might be small for your waves, but huge compared to what most of the original crew are riding these days. Even over on Oahu, I know a guy riding a 7'8 most of the time.

I would be interested in your feedback on the value of this technology in the market of Custom Wave SUP's.

I've thought a lot about this recently. I'd like to keep shaping into retirement. Wood sandwich looks like the $900 Chinese boards, so for me, its a no. I'd like to offer something the Chinese are not. Maybe go the route taken by Coil down in Florida. Resin infusion. Until then, I can vac bag S over 1.5 lb and build boards lighter than any other custom guys around me. And they look custom! Currently I'm working on long term appearance. Resin tints go a long ways toward this.

Some guys think core-cork is the next great thing. But I saw a 1 lb EPS core cork SUP done by the guy in Florida, fall apart
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:44:56 PM by DW »

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
This particular board I built for myself..At 230 lbs with some change it felt great.. I do thin rails so there is not much volume there.. I feel I could actually go smaller and narrower if I leave the nose and tail fuller and add a bit more thickness.. This board with the XTRAK paid came in at 16 lbs, and would retail for $1760..

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »
Nice board--very impressed with the weight.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »
 Yea great looking board. I think someone looking for a durable board that can handle impact would want to go with sandwich const. how thick is the sheet foam and does it wrap the rails. Just to compare price a carbon starboard in that size would go for $2400 +. At 16lbs you are right in the ballpark with them.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
Very sweet looking board!  Sounds like a lot of board for the price too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
I think that's a great way to go Billy, and that board I had you make me at the end of the winter is too big, I should have had the balls to go smaller--I wanted to, but I chickened out. So I'm thinking 8'8" or even 8"6" by 32". And maybe step the rails. But I'm also thinking a little squarer tail to add some stability. I'd like to weigh 225 next winter, but we better figure on 240.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
aloha .. So excited about the response on the composite construction.. The PVC, Corecell, I use is 1/8'' thick and is fully wrapped, with 4 oz gluing it down...
I love to see Mr. Babcock riding my boards. I learn an awful lot from him.. Shorter sounds good, just remember the sweet spot really shrinks ,no matter how wide you go.. Looking forward to sharing some waves with ya ..

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
There always seem to be some sort of correction needed for the evolution. Custom boards can really help to strive and allow for the more personal fine tuning. Any intuitive new directions in shape and construction leads to the new sensations felt and helps to focus the evolution.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Composite Sandwich Construction for SUP
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »
I think to give you proper feedback you'll need to send it on over to San Diego for a while ago I can test it properly...   ;D

Dave B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 06:05:55 AM »
Good thread and couldn't agree more on the performance of the JP 8 10".  I weigh 190ish.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 06:59:11 AM »
aloha .. So excited about the response on the composite construction.. The PVC, Corecell, I use is 1/8'' thick and is fully wrapped, with 4 oz gluing it down...
I love to see Mr. Babcock riding my boards. I learn an awful lot from him.. Shorter sounds good, just remember the sweet spot really shrinks ,no matter how wide you go.. Looking forward to sharing some waves with ya ..

It sounds like the entire board is lamitated with 4oz inner glass 1/8" corecell and 4oz outer glass, all over 1lb EPS.  Do you find the need to add any additional reinforcement on any parts of the board?  It sounds pretty bomb proof, I hope to stop in, late July, to see it in person.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
This particular board is 1lb EPS core, with 1/8'' core cell vacuumed with 4 oz cloth and a 5.7 carbon patch in the standing area..It is then bogged and laminated with 6 oz. red opaque pigment bottom and a clear 6 oz deck.. The board is plenty light although in retrospect I could of glassed the outside with 4 oz making it even lighter and still plenty strong...
This board is at 808 BOARDS in Lahaina and available for demo.. He has the highest quality rental fleet on the island and specializes in service...808-283-1384

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
That's a very good value for a board with that construction. That's just a few hundred dolllars more than most custom builders in SoCal charge for their boards with a standard layup. Do you have an estimate on the volume of your 9'0"? Great looking shape.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal