Author Topic: Intro to the forum and smaller board suggestions  (Read 2523 times)

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Intro to the forum and smaller board suggestions
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:23:15 AM »
I'm new to the forum.  I'll start off with an introduction and then a story.  I've been reading the forum for quite some time and really enjoyed the new board reviews and tips & tricks.

I purchased my first SUP (Starboard Drive 10'5") last year after enjoying a SUP rental in Florida.  They rented me an 8'10" SUP which was way to small for learning.  I fell a ton, mostly paddled prone but did get some waves later in the day standing as the wind died and the chop flattened out.  Had a blast.
I truly wanted the starboard nose-rider, but it wasn't available at the surf shop and the Drive was close enough to it I thought I'd give it a try.  I ended up falling in love with it.  The fact that I could paddle away from crowded breaks and find my own break down the beach all to myself.  I liked the fact that it was a good flatwater paddler, wide enough to handle chop, and a breeze to catch waves with.  I also liked the longboard look and feel to the board since I was familiar with that shape.

Here is the story part.  I ended up paddling down from my local beach about a mile or so to get to one particular break I liked best.  I made that my routine almost every weekend. One day in early July surfing at my spot I noticed something pushing water out by the lobster pots.  As it came closer I got excited and was thinking, sunfish, tuna, whale?  Then the fin came up.  It came in closer and then stayed about 100 yards off the beach and swam north.  It passed by me and I was just in awe.  Then it picked up my scent in the water or sensed me and abruptly turned 180 degrees back towards me.  I started paddling for shore, but once I got into shallower water over the sandbar (it was high tide) it lost interest and swam back north.  The fin came up quite a few times and was quite a sight to see.  I tried yelling to some tourists on the beach but I couldn't get anyone's attention.  I finally ended up paddling into shore and then thought to myself, it's headed for the public beach!  I threw my board back into the water and paddled back towards the beach as fast as I could.  By the time I got to the life guard station to run up and warn them, I noticed the shark was right behind a kayaker.  I started yelling and waving, it took quite some time to get his attention.  Luckily he saw the shark and paddled in safely.  He had another friend out even further but the shark took no interest in him and he made it in fine.  I was glad everyone was fine and headed home to tell my wife and friends the amazing story of what happened.  I figured that was the end of it.  The next day on the front of our local newspaper was this picture.

At first I was shocked someone had gotten a picture, but it was nice since no one believed me how close the shark was to the kayaker.  Just glad no one got hurt and gives me a great ice breaker like right now!

Anyways glad to be signed up for the forum!  I am interested getting into a smaller board and this seems like a great place to ask for advice.  The 10'5" Drive is great but I've been very interested in the reviews of the smaller boards like the Allwave 8'10" and Exocet 8'11".  This downsizing may be a little bit too aggressive though, perhaps I should be looking more into a larger board like an Allwave 9'6"?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Intro to the forum and smaller board suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Cool story and pic... 

I recommend you look for a smaller used board - based on your stoke level you're not done in your board transition...  Go a bit smaller now but be prepared to want to continue a few more times!

What kind of paddle are you using?  Definitely don't skimp in this area; boards get traded I'm much more often than paddles so spend wisely.  Kenalu, Kialoa, and Werner are my recommendations.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Intro to the forum and smaller board suggestions
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
Welcome aboard.  Sorry.  I just couldn't resist.
I agree with AJR about the paddle.  You want one that will quietly but quickly get you into waves and away from sharks.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
Hey Starboardman... welcome to the addiction.

Your picture caused quite a stir around the Cape... pretty cool someone got a shot of it.
And... VERY cool that you stayed in the water to paddle down and warn people. Kudos!

On another note....If you get another brand, your name may feel jilted :D

Are you on Cape?  you are welcome to paddle my Allwave to see how it feels to you. I love them all... search Allwave on the Zone for tons of info. I am 205 lbs and could easily go down to the 8'6... I am on the 8'10 now... very stable and easy.... and it rips.

Nauset Sports has the Excocet 8'11.... lots of folks riding them well around here. Demo may be a possibility... I demo'd a different board there yesterday. They have a zkillion boards in stock to check out... no, really... at least a zkillion. ;D

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:13:19 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I always keep an eye out now and I am a little more cautious.  Last weekend a seal went under my board and gave me a bit of a fright!

AJR - Speaking of paddles.  I broke mine in half last weekend, just paddling for a wave.  I bought a new Werner paddle to replace it, which supposedly hasn't been broken yet.  The paddle I broke was a trident carbon fiber one with a fiberglass paddle.  Lasted a year and a half.  So I went cheap and ended up paying for it.

SUPTheCreek - I agree the name may lose some of its appeal but I'll always keep my Drive  :).  I read your Allwave 8'10 review and it got me excited to try a smaller board.  I'm 6'1" and 195lbs so similar range.  I am on cape and would love the opportunity to meet some fellow SUP'ers and try out some different boards.  Thanks so much for your generosity!  You are more than welcome to try my Drive but I think that would be going the wrong direction for you  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:19:53 AM by StarboardSUPMan »

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
Au contraire... I am about to buy an 11' board next week. I really like the feel and action of a longboard. I would love to trade off in the water soon. Waves everyday for the next 5 days.. small & clean... perfect longboard stuff... lets do it... I'll PM you my number.

suprbowl

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »
+ 1 on the Fanatics. I test rode Rick's 9'6" last week and am hooked. My buddy just recently went from his 10' Mana to a Fanatic 9'2" but had no problems switching to Ricks 8'10".

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
    'You're gonna need a bigger boat"/board

Chief Brody to Quint
"Jaws"
 (1975)

Seriously bro, you were a star last summer. I think this picture went viral no? Welcome and looking forward to meeting you at some point.

StarboardSUPMan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
Ended up meeting up with SUPTheCreek on Sunday AM and rode some great waves.  He brought his Allwave 9'6" and what a difference.  My Drive is only 30" wide vs the Allwave which was 32" wide.  The stability of the board in the chop was impressive, much more stable than my Drive.  It was super easy to turn to get on a wave.  A much different experience than with my board.  I cannot believe how much different it felt, much looser feeling on the waves, I really enjoyed it.

I want to try out some more boards after that experience.  I can't imagine what the 8'10" must be like after seeing the difference in those 2 boards. 

Thanks again SUPTheCreek for letting me try out your board!  Hope you ended up selling it.  Was great meeting you, can't wait to meet up with more of you soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal