Author Topic: SUP N Surf in Sheboygan  (Read 11550 times)

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP N Surf in Sheboygan
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
So who is going this Saturday?

I learned from my Benton Harbor mistake and will be going up the night before. My daughter and I will also be doing the Westy Clinic. Plus, the race starts at 8am and it's about a 2 hour drive.

Hmmm, maybe I'll accidentally clip his knee with my paddle so he's out for the race the next day!
 8)

Naaah, I'll just do the 6 mile Rec. race and let the big guns like Westy go after the money in the 6 mile Elite race.
EDIT: crap, confused races, this one only has the 6 mile elite. The Lake Geneva race has a 6 mile rec in addition to 6 mile elite.

See you there!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:54:09 AM by NoSaltSuper »
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP N Surf in Sheboygan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »
I'll be going.  I'm heading over on the SS Badger ferry on Friday morning.  You will enjoy the clinic from Westy.  He is a strong paddler and a good teacher.  He was on a 12'6 at the Third Coast event Saturday but threw the teaser out there that he might be on a 14' in Sheboygan.  We will have to wait and see.

I enjoyed this event last year.  Mike and his crew from EOS do a nice job.  I'm charged with buoy detail and have a variety of buoys to inflate and get ready for anchoring.  This will take some time if I can't replace the pump that we were relying on.  They have a different course layout than last year and it looks like it will be a fun course:

Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:50:05 PM »
Anyone else doing the Westy clinic?
Semper Fi!

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
Looks like a possible south swell moving through that could make this course an upwind/downwind deal.  Anyone that can extend their stay into Monday and Tuesday may just get to experience classic Dairyland surf conditions. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
I saw that too. Darn work.
Semper Fi!

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
Well, that was the hardest, most dangerous race I've not finished, DNF. I made mistakes I won't repeat and learned a lot. Many racers DNF. Lake Michigan is no joke, it gets gnarly quick.

6 mile Elite race started late for various reasons. Fog is thick and the first buoy disappears often.   Winds and chop kept building, water temps in the 50s offshore, air temp a foolishly tempting  70ish. First mistake, I dressed for the ride, not the fall(s). Bad idea in motorcycling, bad idea on a cold lake.

Race starts off per usual with a beach start. I'm doing well heading out with the pack. First buoy turn is just past the lighthouse in the fog, paddling along the breakwater, the reverb waves, ground and wind swell are colliding. It is like paddling in a washing machine, with wind.

I've never seen so many paddlers falling, especially so early in the race. I hadn't fallen yet, but better paddlers have.  I'm almost to the buoy, by the lighthouse, legs are quivering, boom, I'm in ! Damn it's cold water, no leash or wetsuit (dumb) PFD is on, but disconnected from CO2 charge to avoid accidental discharge.  Did I say dumb?

Wrestle out of cold water, struggle to my  belly, knees,  then standing. Buoy is close, manage to get around it, wind is howling, chop is schizophrenic.  Wind is now head on, 20+.

I learn later that several smarter paddlers bailed away/downwind of buoy and went around lighthouse and breakwater to the channel and marina. They will have to climb rocks and walk a long way back to beach, but they are safer.

I attempted to stand and paddle upwind towards next buoy, 2 more falls into chilly water, I'm done trying. Each fall into cold water, no leash or wetsuit, saps at least 10% of my energy and more of my confidence. It's about survival now, for me at least.

To paraphrase a flying motto: I would rather be on the beach, wishing I was on the water, then on the water wishing I was on the beach.  I want the beach!

I see several other, stronger paddlers on their knees struggling to get in too, there is less than half the starting field trying to complete the race.

It takes me at least 30 minutes to paddle, on my knees, back to shore with the wind and breakwater chop. It was not fun and oh so humbling.  It helped, a little, to see or learn of so many other, better paddlers not finishing also. 

Lots of lessons learned, again, the biggest being, respect Lake Michigan, it's not just, a lake.

Props to EOS, u adjusted well and put on a great event overall !
Semper Fi!

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:59 AM »
Thanks for the recap for those of us that were not able to make it.

I saw the results that someone posted on Facebook and thought that they must have cut the race short. Sounds like some pretty gnarly conditions!

And yes, Lake Michigan needs to be respected. That body of water is no joke at times...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal