Author Topic: Helmets - SUP surfing  (Read 30244 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Helmets - SUP surfing
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
I've never worn a helmet for prone surfing but used to always wear one when I surf kayaked....probably cos I was always taught to wear one for white water rivers where it is definitely needed.

Met a surf kayaker the other day who asked why I don't wear one for SUP surfing - given the size/weight of the board.

Kind of got me thinking...also hearing about a lad who drowned the other day in Aus - surfboard hit his head and knocked him out.

So...why do the majority of us not wear helmets for SUP surfing????

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Helmets - SUP surfing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:44 AM »
 im sure wearing a pfd and helmet will be safer but it is kinda overkill for where i surf.  WW kayaker wear it b/c they have a good chance of hitting a rock/tree.  You still see some people wear a helmet but they are surfing shallow reef and heavy water.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:07:46 AM by Ucycle »
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
I wouldn't even know where to get one.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
I wear one religiously when skiing, feels weird to not wear one, and it obvious why you should have one when nuking down a mtn. Also always wear one when doing SUP on river here, being that high off the water, plus the river is super boney.

I have a Shred Ready Shaggy helmet for water, but looking at the new Sweet Shutter with the new materials being used and it looks more like a ball cap. Use a Bern for skiing and they also make a 3 season helmet that can be used for biking, skiing and water.

Head is most important thing and I honestly should wear one anytime I leave my house. I would totally be "that guy!"

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »
I think the guy in Aus was hit by somebody else's board?  Not sure, but either way I get the feeling it was 1-in-1million shot, his wife saying she thought for sure he was merely unconscious.

One thing for sure, wearing a helmet into the lineup would take the kook factor to 11 (at least)  :)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
So...why do the majority of us not wear helmets for SUP surfing????
Because we are stupid idiots who should be old enough to know better.

Some of the toughest guys you'd ever wish to meet are in kayaking, and regard it complete stupidity not to wear a helmet. But we are still stuck with the fashions of surfing... I do wear a helmet sometimes, especially if I am out downwinding on my own in big conditions. On slip, one knock on the head and I'd be gone. Who would look after my wife and kids then? I feel a bit self-conscious wearing one at first, but some of the the kitesurfing ones don't look too dorky, and it has probably already saved my life at least once, when I wiped out in 30 knots 2 miles from shore and the board got taken by the wind and flipped down onto my head. Even with the helmet on I saw stars for a bit. I'd also wear one if I did whitewater SUP.

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
I wear one religiously when skiing, feels weird to not wear one, and it obvious why you should have one when nuking down a mtn. Also always wear one when doing SUP on river here, being that high off the water, plus the river is super boney.

I have a Shred Ready Shaggy helmet for water, but looking at the new Sweet Shutter with the new materials being used and it looks more like a ball cap. Use a Bern for skiing and they also make a 3 season helmet that can be used for biking, skiing and water.

Head is most important thing and I honestly should wear one anytime I leave my house. I would totally be "that guy!"

Helmets are an under appreciated piece of safety equipment.  Law enforcement wears protective vests but not helmets.  Helmets are great and the good guys wear white for sun protection.  You know it is that one in a million nut job that decides to shot you. 

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »

One thing for sure, wearing a helmet into the lineup would take the kook factor to 11 (at least)  :)
[/quote]

Does not matter what you wear if you can rip, you can rip. I dont surf (i really want to learn though) so I am biased because everyone here wears helmets either for biking, skating, SUP, skiing, wake boarding, kayaking, etc, etc. Kinda normal to own a bunch too.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:58:22 AM »
Interesting it’s so common in surf kayaking but not wave skis.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Sweet Strutter, looks as close to a ball cap as you can get, super low profile.

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
Ya know, I have thought about this a bunch because of my whitewater background... I wear a helmet religiously in my kayak, or on my river board because or the potential danger of hitting a rock.  At the beach, I don't.

As I tend to flail and fall at the worst moments, I spend a good bit of time underwater having fallen in front of my board with a wave coming wondering if I am about to get my 7s right in the mouth when I surface.  I also don't use a coiled leash.

Corran used to surf in a Gath helmet once upon a time, for what it is worth, but he would need to chime in on what the conditions were.

Anybody have any statistics on head injury amongst surfers?  Anybody broken that data down into percentage of board whacks vs. being driven onto the bottom? By experience level? By surf height or conditions?

This is an interesting topic, thanks for raising it.

Logan

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
In a hundred years, everyone will just wear them out of the house. It will be part of everyday fashion. Makes sense though, your head can be damaged easily. My bro works in a ski shop and when renting equipment to people he always asks if they want to rent a helmet. When the person goes, "why do I need one?". His only answer is, "Would you ride in a car without a seat belt?" There is always some ass-tard that says he does not wear a seat belt, but the point is its kinda a no-brainer when skiing, pun intended.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
 my rationale for not wearing a helmet (vs windsurfing where i always wear my Gath) is the speed is generally slower and there is no mast ready to crack me on the noggin. in the last 20+ years of surfing i have seen a few bros get hit in the teeth or face though where a helmet would not have done any good (without a hockey cage attachment).  I have instead made a habit of wrapping one arm across my face and the other over the top every time i bail.  plus it's canada and i often have a hood on.-  so far so good.

jsprague-sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »
I'm interested, just started surfing but whacked my knee on the board pretty good the other day and thought what if that was my head..

Any feedback on where to buy and what brands/styles people prefer for sup??

That Sweet Strutter looks pretty sweet  ::) 

http://www.sweetprotection.com/whitewater-kayak/helmets-protection/?p=strutter&pid=541

Anybody use this helmet in the water?  I'm curious if the bill would be a lot of drag under water.
Fanatic Allwave 8-11

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I always wear a helmet.....a gath. Its light, its comfortable, its safer for me at times when unexpected things happen.
I often surf by myself in early morning darkness. Definitely don't feel like a kook. I call it being sane & sensible

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal