Author Topic: SUP SURFERS: What kind of leash are you using and how long and thick is it?  (Read 11819 times)

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Some questions for all you sup surfers...

1) What kind of leash are you using and how long and thick is it?
2) How long is the board you're using it with?

My answers...

1) Dakine "Longboard Series" 10' X 1/4" solid leash.

2) I'm using it on an 8' sup.

Thanks
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Now just have a 9'6" JP Surf, using an 8' Creatures of Leisure Outer Reef 3/8" thick.  Also have the same 10' Dakine.

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
1/4 inch Da Kine.  Use 8, 9 and 10 depending on which board I am riding.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
6' On A Mission shortboard leash most days.

If it's bigger, a 7' "big wave" On A Mission.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

supthecreek

8'10 board
I like an 8'x 1/4 Da kine... but it finely wore out... broke on a 1 foot wave... :D

Till I get another one... I am stuck using an 11' Da Kine. Very dangerous. I do not like that much cord to wrap around my neck in bigger waves. It grabs body parts all the time as it passes by. Nevea problem with a shorter leash.

And I can still noseride with the shorter leash because of the rail saver and strap....
plus a shorter leash gets your bosrd back to you quicker.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
I use 9' Block Surf longboard leashes.

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I use a 8' Ocean & Earth "One" on my 7' 10.  I wish it had a knee cuff though. When it is time I will probably buy another Surfmore XM now that they are making short big wave leashes for sup surfing.

@Creek: Do you have problems with your short leash when you fall? My leash often gets wrapped around the fin furthest from me. I don't know what the deal is, but is a nuisance.

Logan

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I had a 9' xm on my 10-4, but I got caught by a wave the other day and my leash is now around 11'.  I've had real bad luck with Dakine.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
8' FCS big wave for my 7-10 SIMSUP...

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
7' or 8' Ocean and Earth, for 7'3 and 8'2 boards, respectively.

I have a Stay Covered XXL leash, 9', for big waves or big boards.

leroy13

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
DaKine - 8ft with a 9'2" Allwave.  Had it 8 months checked all the swivels, They seem OK.  Best I've used so far. I haven't tried many others. ;D

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Hmmm, you guys are all using much shorter leashes than I've been using. I've always used super short leashes on my surfboards (less drag) but last fall shortly after starting sup surfing I almost got whacked in the head from leash recoil had I not put my hand up at the last second. I think the leash was about 8' so I thought I'd better go with a 10'er after that. Have any of you had recoil issues with your shorter leashes?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

supthecreek

Logan... it may be board specific ???. I have never had any issues with an 8' leash on my Allwaves, but several times when I was borrowing other boards, the leash would wrap the opposite fin and be right in my face after a fall... you can feel the different pull (lack of pull) and protect yourself.

All leashes have positives & negatives... but they save boards, bodies and swims ;D

I think SUP has been good for the leash industry... lots more board to deal with.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Don't forget to bring a towel!

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
6' and 7' Ocean & Earth leggies on a 8'5" board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal