Author Topic: Article in Tribune: Stand Up Paddleboarders clash with....  (Read 6312 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Article in Tribune: Stand Up Paddleboarders clash with....
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 08:13:02 AM »
Crowded waterways do not interest me

Me too! :D

If I were one of the sailors I would just head somewhere else.

Sailing is also VERY frustrating, even in perfect conditions, you always want more, so never feels satisfied. An unsatisfied sailor (all of them?  ;D ) will always have something to grumble about.

Whatever the next thing is that comes along..That will get it in the neck as well!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
A good dinghy sailer should be able to sail in full control without a rudder!

I used to be a sailing instructor and to get that qualification, we had to be able to sail in reverse and 'rudderless'  8)

Assuming a Gaussian distribution a good dingy sailor comprises perhaps five percent of the population, with half being below average (a virtual definition of the term) and a corresponding five percent being unable to control the boat with a rudder and an instructor. I bet you've met some of those.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »
A good dinghy sailer should be able to sail in full control without a rudder!

I used to be a sailing instructor and to get that qualification, we had to be able to sail in reverse and 'rudderless'  8)
I think that is the issue, lots of beginners on both sides,  as quoted in the article,  "It's not when they are standing up, it is when the water", which I took to mean people in the that have fallen off, which beginners are more likely to do.
Obfuscation through elucidation

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »
True - I did post that bit before I'd read the whole article! ::) :)

Pretty certain that any RYA instructor in the UK would be ok without rudder though..

I think it just comes down to a crowded area.

We have plenty of near misses on the Thames between Rowers/Oarsfolk and paddlers... Rowing in 'Eights' doing twelve knots not looking where they're going! They do not like canoes, SUPs or kayaks because we are silent and they just do not notice us.

I'm constantly check my back as I blast along on my K15!  They are noisy though, with the rollex clashing and blades skimming the water on recovery.

These problems are only during the summer though really, when the fair weather folk are out :D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Its frightening to think anyone and a 6 pack can go out on any type of water craft with no qualification. Around here we stay away from lakes allowing motorized boats. The wake boarding/ski boats with 10 drunk guys/girls flying around the lake blasting terrible music have no concept of kayaks or SUP's.

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
Its frightening to think anyone and a 6 pack can go out on any type of water craft with no qualification. Around here we stay away from lakes allowing motorized boats. The wake boarding/ski boats with 10 drunk guys/girls flying around the lake blasting terrible music have no concept of kayaks or SUP's.

Here if you're out drunk boating you're getting a ticket, just like a DUI. They're starting to treat the waterways like roads. Sitting in a boat fishing and having a beer or two is one thing, flying around a lake after a 12 pack is another.

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »

Here if you're out drunk boating you're getting a ticket, just like a DUI. They're starting to treat the waterways like roads. Sitting in a boat fishing and having a beer or two is one thing, flying around a lake after a 12 pack is another.

Same goes here with boating and drinking. But it only seems enforced when something bad happens. Would be almost impossible on ocean to enforce enough.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 09:00:39 AM »
We have plenty of near misses on the Thames between Rowers/Oarsfolk and paddlers... Rowing in 'Eights' doing twelve knots not looking where they're going! They do not like canoes, SUPs or kayaks because we are silent and they just do not notice us.

This may come off as a dumb question but I really don’t know a lot about the sport of rowing.  If there’s an 8 person scull, wouldn’t it have a coxswain sitting in the back whose job it is to look forward and steer the craft?  I know these boats are probably not very maneuverable but wouldn’t that person be able to yell out a warning or even get the crew to stop rowing?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:02:11 AM by surf4food »

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
This may come off as a dumb question but I really don’t know a lot about the sport of rowing.  If there’s an 8 person scull, wouldn’t it have a coxswain sitting in the back whose job it is to look forward and steer the craft?

Yes and no. I rowed an 8 for a while (seats 3 or 4) and we often went w/o a cox'n. 1 or 2 were to look around once in a while but it sometimes didn't happen. Most people stayed clear when we were underway.

We rolled an 8 once, that was comedy gold. Had some newbies out in it and were turning the boat around. The cox'n told them to press down on port, they didn't and the boat began to lean too far. The starboard side leaned the wrong way and over we went. An 8 is a heavy boat to flip. I swam over and moved the oars out of the way so we could right it. The cox'n was so mad.

ObviousSup

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
This may come off as a dumb question but I really don’t know a lot about the sport of rowing.  If there’s an 8 person scull, wouldn’t it have a coxswain sitting in the back whose job it is to look forward and steer the craft?

Yes and no. I rowed an 8 for a while (seats 3 or 4) and we often went w/o a cox'n. 1 or 2 were to look around once in a while but it sometimes didn't happen. Most people stayed clear when we were underway.

We rolled an 8 once, that was comedy gold. Had some newbies out in it and were turning the boat around. The cox'n told them to press down on port, they didn't and the boat began to lean too far. The starboard side leaned the wrong way and over we went. An 8 is a heavy boat to flip. I swam over and moved the oars out of the way so we could right it. The cox'n was so mad.
An additional issue is often the cox'n isn't as large as the rest of the crew so the view directly in front of the shell is limited.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »

This may come off as a dumb question but I really don’t know a lot about the sport of rowing.  If there’s an 8 person scull, wouldn’t it have a coxswain sitting in the back whose job it is to look forward and steer the craft?  I know these boats are probably not very maneuverable but wouldn’t that person be able to yell out a warning or even get the crew to stop rowing?

You would think a yell would do the job, but as already said, they just don't see or hear you. An 8 crashed into a single on my local stretch last week and they both saw each other, but just assumed one would take avoiding action!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »

The Oars folk on the Thames think Portside is a drink and starboard side is a SUP....They have zero seamanship!  ::)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

anotherncbeachbum

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »

The Oars folk on the Thames think Portside is a drink and starboard side is a SUP....They have zero seamanship!  ::)

LOL. :)

We had a cox'n who was maybe 5' and 95 if she was carrying a sack of concrete. Any deviation from course or stroke had her yelling at you about your manhood (or lack thereof), your parents, your education and/or your nationality. Usually all of the above. It was hard not to laugh but if you did, you were the one who had to scrub the boat or sort the oars.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal