Author Topic: ULI FAQ for lake fly fishing  (Read 3964 times)

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
ULI FAQ for lake fly fishing
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
If you have been wondering, the FAQ is an awesome fishing platform.  I never cease to be amazed by this board - surfs awesome, if my wife's friends use it I don't have to be anal about dings, it packs down to nothing and the airlines don't charge extra, and now - the perfect fishing platform!  I'm going to take it whitewater surfing next.

supjc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ULI FAQ for lake fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
You mentioned this board surfs great. Where have you surfed with this board and in what wave conditions? Also, I noticed this board is under 10 ft, so I'm a little curious how much you weigh. I'm 185, so over or under that is enough info.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:06:50 PM »
I have surfed this board out in Hawaii (Waikiki, not North Shore - it was summer time), out on the Outer Banks and in Virginia Beach.  Pretty much the areas I have lived in.

I especially like this board for beach break waves (in Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks, there are no point breaks or reefs).  I don't have to worry about dings anymore and often ride the waves to the beach.  I have been surfing for over 25 years - boogie boards, shortboards, longboards, prone paddleboards, windsurfing, kitesurfing, SUPs, paipos and surfmats) and with this board, I routinely have the most fun I've had in the water.  This may not be the case for you or most others out there, but since you are moving to San Diego, I recommend you go to the ULI factory and go talk to them.  They are good people and will help you figure out if an ULI is right for you or not.  I plan on ordering a Lopez 9'0" trifin from them soon.

I do not get paid by anyone out there to sell boards - just opinions.

For the FAQ, I end up having to use the paddle a whole lot more to turn the board because the rails towards the rear of the board do not have a sharp edge like hard boards (ULI has fixed that with their Wiki rail), but with the quad setup this board has, I really just surf it expecting a loose tail.

From the description of what you wanted to do with a single board from your other post, it seems to me an ULI Steamroller with a wiki rail would serve you well (stores easy, fits in a duffle bag that you can check on an airline, paddles on flat water ok, surfs non-beachbreak good - think anything you would take a longboard out in, serves as a fishing platform).

I am 180#

Like I said on the first post - I am planning on river surfing with this board on the Potomac River - this board really does everything (except paddle in straight lines)!

Let me know if you have other questions -

supjc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »
Thanks so much for this info. Cool to hear that they have figured out a way to put a solid rail on an iSUP. I'll definitely check ULI out when I arrive. The portability and storage advantage is undeniable.

Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal