Author Topic: New Blane Chambers paddle.  (Read 29794 times)

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
Re: New Blane Chambers paddle.
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
Mahalo Byron!

Looks like not much of a difference between the Methane and the Pu'u.  Did you try it yourself yet? 

Byronmaui

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
Love those Manta Rays...  Always good for a double take... just to make sure not something that might bite...   ;D
It must be breeding time or something because they are on shore like that in Kihei. In the harbor there must have been 6 - 8 of them mating I think.

Aloha

Byron

Byronmaui

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:10 PM »
Mahalo Byron!

Looks like not much of a difference between the Methane and the Pu'u.  Did you try it yourself yet? 
I have not tried the Methane because the one in the pictures is Noah's and it is too short for me. Yesterday in the surf I was watching him and I have noticed a difference in his paddle behavior such as dropping in, punching through whitewash,etc. but it is probably subjective since his skill level is improving. The only given is he is stoked and really that is all that matters I think.....Who knows anymore... ;D

Aloha

Byron

CT

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the pics!

Kialoa doesn't list the methane on it's website.  Does anyone know if it's on sale anywhere yet?  I'd like to give this paddle a try (I think I could benefit from a smaller blade), but don't know how to get my paws on one.

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2008, 05:07:41 AM »
CT

I called Kialoa yesterday about the paddle.  They're selling it out there.  They just haven't updated their website yet.  You can call them and order one directly if you don't have any shops around you selling them yet.  From what I got from them on the phone is that they have a lot in stock right now at the shop.  Cost is the same as the Shaka Pu'u.

Mahalo,
Sam

CT

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 05:47:11 AM »
Nice!  Big mahalos for the info, Sam.   :)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2008, 05:50:16 AM »
After downwinding alot with the Nalu I was finding it hard to paddle with a fast cadence.

Today I used the Shaka Pu'u and noticed a difference straight away with the slightly smaller blade.

Now I want to try the Methane... They are now available down under and I should have one next week.

I think for cruising around with long lazy strokes a bigger blade is fine but if you want to paddle fast you need that smaller blade.

Thanks for the pictures Byron.

DJ

808assassin

• Waikiki Status
  • 9' PSH HAND-GLASSED
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
makes sense.. nice new paddle to go along with a 9'3" ripper  THANKS PSH!! :D

Sundancer

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2008, 12:03:38 AM »
I've been experimenting for a year now on my blades, cutting them down smaller, or narrower, different shapes (oblongish vs roundish).  For me, who is smaller, the standard 9" and even the 8.5" blade is too much blade to get going fast when the wave is coming, and also tends to tip me when I dig too hard (9' board).  Some blades became coffee stir sticks and didn't work, but the smaller blades in general  are a good idea.  I saw Joe Momoa ripping his 12' Laird with a blade so small, smallest I've ever seen.  He's a big guy on a big board so the idea that a small blade is for girls, kids and Blane...... I don't know about that.   If you're worried about rotator cuff injury, try shortening the length of the paddle.  By shortening the length, you also get a faster turnover (remember, narrower blade=faster turnover per Blane), but also when the length is shorter and you're saving your rotator cuff, you can pull a bigger blade easier too.
Like the other guy said, just go for it and experiment what works for you.

Velasco

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2008, 09:13:26 PM »
I just ordered mine - call Kialoa direct and they will send one to you.  More to follow once it gets here...

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Re a shorter shaft, wider blade paddle taking the stress off the rotator cuff...wouldn't that cause the paddler to have to bend over to get the blade in the water, thus stressing the lower back instead? Or is there a technique for this?

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2008, 10:29:57 PM »
I just ordered mine - call Kialoa direct and they will send one to you.  More to follow once it gets here...

Just got mine last week.  Have used it about 5 days  so far.  First off another great Kialoa Paddle.  The shape is smaller than my Shaka Pu'u but it is very stable and a lot more powerful.   Great paddle that I am very happy with.  Got a 76" as I am more in the surf.  Here's a quick pic.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 11:22:18 PM by motopilot »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2008, 05:36:21 AM »
Today I got my new Kialoa Methane.. Here's some pics comparing it to the Nalu and Shaka Pu'u.. Tomorrow I'll test paddle the Methane and I'm sure I'll love it.

DJ

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »
Been using the Methane for about a week now.  I haven't noticed any loss of power or speed in using it- paddle feels good, just like the Pu'u... More feed back as I use it.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2008, 10:10:32 AM »
Davidjohn, that 3rd pic is perfect!  Was trying to explain to a friend the difference over the phone but with that photo you can clearly see the difference between all three paddles.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal