Author Topic: Ninja Fin sticks out too far off back on Javelin?  (Read 2137 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Ninja Fin sticks out too far off back on Javelin?
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
The LA Ninja fin just fits into the fin box on my 2012 Naish Javelin, with no room to move it forward or backwards on the board. The result is that the fin sticks out a solid 6-7"+ or so off the back of the board - every race fin I've seen doesn't go past the back of the board. Is this the proper setup for the Jav? How does a fin that goes past the back of the board effect the performance/drag?

Also, I heard that the Ninja fin comes in a model with the screw in a different spot and the base is smaller so it can be moved - anyone know of this (sounds like a completely different fin to me).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:27:14 PM by Rastaman3030 »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ninja Fin sticks out too far off back on Javelin?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
Don't worry.. Be happy..  ;D

It's all good and nothing to worry about.

DJ

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »
Ninja is what Larry recommended for my Javelin, and he knows everything.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:21:12 AM »
I had the same question and Larry assured me it was cool.  Took his word on that as he is the man.  IMO, Ninja is really slick and fast and tracks incredibly well.  Not as good as I had hoped like for stability in side wind and chop, but tracks great in side wind and will hold the line really well.   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
The LA Ninja fin just fits into the fin box on my 2012 Naish Javelin, with no room to move it forward or backwards on the board. The result is that the fin sticks out a solid 6-7"+ or so off the back of the board - every race fin I've seen doesn't go past the back of the board. Is this the proper setup for the Jav? How does a fin that goes past the back of the board effect the performance/drag?

Also, I heard that the Ninja fin comes in a model with the screw in a different spot and the base is smaller so it can be moved - anyone know of this (sounds like a completely different fin to me).

Here's the Ninja designed for 8" fin box or more forward adjustment if desired. In your board the fin box placement is set for a fin like the one in the pic below. This fin is very pivot turning and not a easy fin to ride, so the Ninja stabilizes the board and the flex properties along with plan shape of the Ninja creates the feel of a smaller fin but the stability of a larger fin in glassy to moderate conditions. So in some situations the formula for fin placement that I state is opt to get a better ride due to box placement by board manufacture. Hope that answers your question my friend. Mahalo, Larry
Allison Race Fins

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
Thanks guys for the feedback on your experiences with the same setup, and thanks Larry for chiming in! Lot's of great info, I'll stick with the Ninja

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
Yeah, do. It's not entirely legal, and its actually a small advantage--it makes your 14' into a 14'7" as far as wave drag goes, but we won't tell.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal