Author Topic: Naish Hokua 7'6" GT - Reviews, comments, etc  (Read 6414 times)

iSurfVilano

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Naish Hokua 7'6" GT - Reviews, comments, etc
« on: May 23, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »
I just received my 7-6 Hokua yesterday and took it out in some choppy water to get a feel for how it paddles.  Definitely a small learning curve coming from an 8'10" board, but mostly mental nonetheless.  I have seen other posts dating back to December 2012 in regards to this board, but haven't head anything else.  I plan on getting it into some waves this weekend, has anyone else given this board a go?  Fin setup?  Thanks. 

-B
“It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's just hilarious.”  - Bill Hicks

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Hokua 7'6" GT - Reviews, comments, etc
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43:58 PM »
I just received my 7-6 Hokua yesterday and took it out in some choppy water to get a feel for how it paddles.  Definitely a small learning curve coming from an 8'10" board, but mostly mental nonetheless.  I have seen other posts dating back to December 2012 in regards to this board, but haven't head anything else.  I plan on getting it into some waves this weekend, has anyone else given this board a go?  Fin setup?  Thanks. 

-B

I ride mine quad. I have not had it out on a while...current swell is too big and before that I finished my dissertation to self inflicted water activity ban for a few months...it was harsh.

It is a blast. For me at 200lb I am pushing the boundaries for that board, but it works well and once on the wave it is a blast. This is the first board I have much success cranking turns backside off the top.
You have to be deeper than on your longerboard to catch the waves, but this board is so much fun on the wave. For me it does not have as wide a range as my 9'0'' but is as much fun on the wave...or more. I should probably lose 10 lb to get full use of the board...and that board is actually my main incentive for doing so.

Waterline

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Tautologies, did you also own the 7'8 Hokua? How does it compare to the newer 7'6? Is is lower volume than the 7'8? Less stable?

I have the 7'8 but hadn't ridden it much since I got a SIMSUP S3 8'x28 a year ago. I was recently up on the cape and hadn't brought the L41 with me. Board options were an old 9'6 or the 7'8. The Hokua requires less foot work to turn than my L41 but has significantly less paddle speed and less speed on the wave and it's also less stable.

It was interesting to get back on the little board again. I never liked it with the stock quad set. Been running it as a thruster. Is the 7'6 better as a quad?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
Tautologies, did you also own the 7'8 Hokua? How does it compare to the newer 7'6? Is is lower volume than the 7'8? Less stable?

I have the 7'8 but hadn't ridden it much since I got a SIMSUP S3 8'x28 a year ago. I was recently up on the cape and hadn't brought the L41 with me. Board options were an old 9'6 or the 7'8. The Hokua requires less foot work to turn than my L41 but has significantly less paddle speed and less speed on the wave and it's also less stable.

It was interesting to get back on the little board again. I never liked it with the stock quad set. Been running it as a thruster. Is the 7'6 better as a quad?
yes I did. I had the 7'8'' sold it regretted got the 7'6''.

Soo, my take on it though I never rode them side by side. The 7'6'' seems a but flatter and feels actually a bit more stable. I think the volume is that same. I am not 100% on this since there was some time in between...but my buddy still has his 7'8'' so I will get a chance to compare this summer....the board is similar for sure, but throwing a 7'6'' on a fast wave is just sooo much fun..unless there are big board catching it from the outside...

I actually liked the 7'8'' as a quad too so take thaty into consideration. I did experiment a bit with bigger fins, but in small surf I really enjoy the loose feel to the stock quad. When the waves are a bit slower i like the thruster, but most of the time I ride shorebreak with it and that is a fast sharp wave. I do have some weight to throw on the tail so that might affect me liking but thses days I ride either quad or twin...lately the surf has been too big for what I would be comfortable with that board...well I dunno I didn't try it in double overhead. Come to think of it..one wave I go to should be more than steep enough for it...hmm...well the wind is back to now it is kiting time for a few days :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal