Author Topic: 12'6" or 14'. 6'1", 215 lbs Thoughts? Possible swap for Fanatic 9'6".  (Read 5207 times)

Skyrocketnflight

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello fellow SUPers,

I have two surf specific boards with lots of overlap and want to sell one and get a fitness based board.  Will be used for training in flat water and probably the CCBC.

Im an avid kitesurfer so I can't imagine doing windy downwinders so I thinkl the 14' is out. What do i miss out on by only going with a 12.6, what do i miss out on if i went with a 14'? What is most stable?

I really need help figuring out my best options, what boards people recommend, pros and cons. The caveat is I really only want feedback from people that are over 200 lbs, having windsurfed and kitesurfed for years, weight is always a factor and most people in the 165 lb catergory forget that.

Is their a default "popular" board that 200+ lbs are doing the CCBC race circuit and CCBC distance challenge? I see tons of Barks out there. I saw a write up on Pau Hana too. What are the leading brands big guys?

Lastly, I have a 2012 Fanatic All Wave, 9'6" is stellar shape. Anyone interested in some type of trade/swap? I live in Dorchester, MA.  I bought it late last summer for $1200. I would let it go for $950.

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure this type of post is common, pardon my ignorance.

-Greg aka SR

617-835-1530

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
I'm chiming in primarily because you only wanted to hear from guys over 200lbs (I'm 235#).  I'm sure a 12'6" would be fine, but less speed.  My current preference is the Naish Glide 14, there are bound to be lots of opinions on what board is best for the CCBC.  Only problem might be that a few of those guys have gone so primal they'll soon forget what life was like north of 200lbs. Help SR out quickly, boys!

Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think most people, if not all on this on this forum will advise you to get a 14 ft. board at your weight. I'm a 200+ lb. avid kiter who windsurfed for many years too. You will be much happier on a 14 ft race board.

Wood_Ogre

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
I am a life long surfer, windsurfer , kite surfer ,240 lb. When I started paddling my friend who has paddled before Laird was even born said I should paddle a 14 ft. I didn't listen and paddled a 9 ft for about 8 months then a 9 -6 for a year then a 14 ft. The 14 ft is by far the one I like the best. It is just plane more fun , faster, better glide nothing bad about it . Of coarse it is not a board that you would want to surf. The guys who paddle surfboard shapes in flat water just don't get it !!

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Anyone much over 180 will want to go 14'.  Only reason to go 12-6 would be storage concerns.  Or if you want an all-around shape that you can do fitness training on AND explore the coast for surf.  I wouldn't want to mess around on waves on a 14'er.  But I wouldn't want to do the CCBC on anything less than 14' either.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Sorry I know your looking for feedback from 200+ paddlers.... but I'm a bit smaller at 5'8 170 and love my 14' Naish Glide that was highly recommended by Zoners for me as my board for this years CCBC.. if you can demo a few different boards try as many as possible before buying, but definitely go with a 14' board with some displacement if shooting for the CCBC (that's what the veterans of it sold me on).

If your ever down in Newport shoot me a PM I'd let ya take mine for a test spin, I'm usually there doing both surf and distance every weekend.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

ChesSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I am 6' and 210lbs.  I currently paddle a 12-6x29 Yolo but am looking to hop up to a 14.  If you are set on a 12-6 I think you have 3 options, a 404 Monster 2.0, Fanatic Falcon 12-6x30 or a custom Infinity.  I am sure I am not listing them all but those should have the width and/or volume for your weight.  A lot of the local guys here have Infinities and love them, that may be the best way to have your cake and eat it too.  Good luck.

DurhamSUP

I've paddled with a few guys in the 180-200 lb range and they were on 12-6 boards. All of them were looking to get a 14 or wish they started with a 14.

I'm 6', 205 lbs and much rather be on a 14 over the 12-6. You can go narrower on the 14 and still have stability.
Go for the 14, you won't regret it.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
SkyRcktNFlt, I am 5 9 200 lbs or so, but no kitesurfing experience.  Have owned a 12, 12 6 and now two 14's.  Definitely agree with the others, go 14.  You will love the added speed and more glide for the same effort.  Little harder to turn and move around, but well worth the trade off.  I also own a 14 Naish Glide.  It is a fantastic all around board.  Not as fast as an all out race board, but great in many conditions and very stable once you get to know it.  It is excels in downwind conditions and may tempt you to leave the kite board on the beach.  See DavidJohn's incredible set of downwind videos.       
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

OceanRidge

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My weight fluxes at 200+-5lbs and I am 5'10".
I have a 12'6" riviera missile which is a fast board, however versus a friend on same board who is 20lbs lighter they tend to go a little faster. Ive tried on a few different 14' boards and i move a lot faster with less effort on them. For racing purposes im going to upgrade to a 14'. If i were to lose 15-20lbs ild prob be fine.
Best way to figute it out is to time yourself on the 12'6" and the 14' a few times over x distance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal