Author Topic: Retrofit gore-tex vent plug?  (Read 3074 times)

honopu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Retrofit gore-tex vent plug?
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
Hi,

I have a 7'9" Naish Mana and a 10'6" Cabrinha that have the standard vent plugs. 

I was wondering if there was a screw in vent plug that has gore-tex vent built in or is that something that has to be built in from the manufacturer?  Our boards are stored in the garage and the temps out there can reach a max of 95* or so and ideally I'd like to have a set it and forget it plug so the boards can vent as needed.  Do these exist?
10'6 Cabrinha QB race elite 100 / 7'9" Naish Mana (wifes) QB 83

Ucycle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Retrofit gore-tex vent plug?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
I dont think those exist as different company use different screw in type of vent.  But you can drill a new hole and put a retro fit gore vent like this one:
http://www.foamez.com/casica-gore-tex-retrofit-vent-plug-selfventing-p-780.html
(i would get the real casica gore vent instead of the cheap one they sell, since cheaper one, the vent thread size is not the same as casica design so it will be hard to find replacement part for it)

and here is step by step instruction how to do it(pretty easy):
http://www.swaylocks.com/node/1027651
"Surfing is not fashion, it is passion... F*CK YOU surf industry!!!!" -SL

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »
I wouldn't worry about 95 degrees in the garage.  Its the 135 degrees on top of the car in the shopping plaza parking lot for 45 minutes that I'd worry about.  I've had dark colored, non vented, brand new boards delam after 15 minutes in the sun.  If the board is white on the bottom, even unvented you should be fine.

honopu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »
Thank you for the information. I usually keep the Cabrinha in a white board bag when it isn't in the ocean and the same for the Naish so they don't see that much of a temperature change. I am slightly worried about delamination but it seems like if i keep them more or less in the bag I'll be just fine.

getsupngo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
I used to have a white padded tarp bag that still seemed to get just as hot as the grey ones.
The true reflector bags stay way cooler inside.
Thank you for the information. I usually keep the Cabrinha in a white board bag when it isn't in the ocean and the same for the Naish so they don't see that much of a temperature change. I am slightly worried about delamination but it seems like if i keep them more or less in the bag I'll be just fine.

I'm wondering what happens to a moist board that's zipped away in a bag undergoing extreme temperatures.  Is any water vapor migrating into the core thru the Gore-Tex vent?

honopu

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
From what I understand in regard to gore-tex is that it will breathe one way with water in vapor form.

Yeah we have a pretty decent Dakine bag for the Cabrinha but the Naish is a 7'9" and really wide so I'll probably have to get a custom one made. We're using the eco friendly packaging bag that came w/ it for now.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
Ditto what honopu said.  Even if the Goretex didn't breath one-way, the inside of the board is always going to be the warmest place and therefore a tendency toward higher pressure--therefore the flow is always going to be to the outside of the vent vs back in.  Plus, we're talking about rather miniscule amounts of vapor anyway.

I always bag and unless I'm driving, unzip the bag a good bit--whether it's on the car or stored in the garage.  Just a habit and it lets things get dried out in there.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal