Author Topic: Can we kill board length limits?  (Read 127022 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Can we kill board length limits?
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
I find it humorous when people use the "I agree with X's proposal Y, but only if you change it to what I wanted in the first place Z".  It is the epitome of a my-way-or-the-highway attitude combined with an attempt to latch on to someone else's hard work and success
Tex--maybe you need to relax and have a drink.  Based on how you react to anyone who dares to question even one of the details of Jim Terrell's ideas, I think everyone has a pretty good idea of your beverage of choice:

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
The comments on Jim Terrell's article were somewhere around 100 and consisted of mainly positive comments from a variety of people.  The comments here are mixed and those on the negative side are primarily the same few people saying the same things over and over and over again.

The fact that manufacturers have noticed Jim Terrell's proposal probably reflects the positive reception his article achieved.

As to my comment that opponents of the proposal should come up with their own plan, have it published, and receive comments on it that is my constructive criticism of how to better get your point across.  You certainly don’t have to take the advice and may continue wanking as you seem to have a lot of practice at it.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
PDX - - someone go pee pee in your corn flakes this morning?     ;D

And for the record - I would ASS U ME - that Jim would be FOR limiting specs / prices / etc. on paddles.   His true goal is to get more people paddling - not charging people more money.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:25:17 AM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
PDX - - someone go pee pee in your corn flakes this morning?     ;D

Yep.  And the weird thing is, I had my corn flakes hidden up at the end of a rope, and the guy still found them right away.  Unbelievable!  It's as if people had been telling him for years where to go piss. 

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
I find it humorous when people use the "I agree with X's proposal Y, but only if you change it to what I wanted in the first place Z".  It is the epitome of a my-way-or-the-highway attitude combined with an attempt to latch on to someone else's hard work and success
Wow, talk about spin, the inertial forces on that one ripped the logic right out or it.

I think what has propelled this thread to 30+ pages is that opponents to Jim Terrell's plan would rather wank repeatedly than come up with their own proposal, get it published, and then have others comment on it. 
What a mature comment, I wish you were on my debate team in Jr High School.  It is a sad argument that devolves into personal attacks.
Obfuscation through elucidation

SUPlime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
Maybe PDX and Tex can refrain from the arguing for a while. Nothing worthwhile coming from it. It's an interesting thread that is devolving slowly.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 29, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »
Wow, talk about spin, the inertial forces on that one ripped the logic right out or it.

The point is instead of continually complaining about someone else's proposal to help the sport, he should come up with one of his own.

What a mature comment, I wish you were on my debate team in Jr High School.  It is a sad argument that devolves into personal attacks.

What are you talking about?  I have advised him to put down his ideas in writing and get them published as a more effective means of advancing his cause then just continually repeating his disdain for the proposal.

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 30, 2013, 03:01:27 AM »

The point is instead of continually complaining about someone else's proposal to help the sport, he should come up with one of his own.
So it counties, you run out of ideas and fall back on personal insults, then claim innocents when you get called on it.  Great debating technique. 

What are you talking about?  I have advised him to put down his ideas in writing and get them published as a more effective means of advancing his cause then just continually repeating his disdain for the proposal.
So you are from the "publish or perish" school, but you seem to have forgotten that the corner stone of that school is peer review.  You seem to have forgotten that this the thread is not about JT's thoughts, but about  "Can we kill board length limits?".  JT's article was presented as just one set of ideas about that.  In that context your demands are highly inappropriate.  It leads me to seriously ask, do you struggle with a cognisance disorder?  because your part of this discussion is highly reminiscent of discussions with my mother when she was in the early/middle stages of Alzheimer’s   
Obfuscation through elucidation

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 30, 2013, 07:42:18 AM »
Interesting debates for sure. Regardless, the racing side is one of many niches in the sport but is certainly only one model the average joe/jane aspires to which drives the market. Then there's surfing on the other side to aspire to where the boards seem to be getting shorter and narrower. Why not set a standard on how short and narrow these boards can be in competition too? Otherwise they end up being a traditional prone surfboard powered by paddle. We should also set max standards on PSI for racing iSUPs...haha.

Whatever anyone decides, the market wins. SUP is a multi-dimensional sport. More variety, more equipment to buy. Much like the bicycle world. There are people with one bike, a road bike & mountain bike, a hard tail & full suspension mountain bike, beach cruiser & road bike & mountain bike, etc.

Seems like most folks on this forum have more than one board. But zoners are not the majority in the market. You guys/gals are no average joes/janes. The average person and majority of the market will end up buying one all-around board that's less than 4m or 12'6".

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
^
And the average paddler will never do races and doesn't care about board length limits.
If it's such a big deal, gather your friends and protest (boycott) all events.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »

Seems like most folks on this forum have more than one board. But zoners are not the majority in the market. You guys/gals are no average joes/janes. The average person and majority of the market will end up buying one all-around board that's less than 4m or 12'6".

That's true and borne out by the race results posted in this thread.  The largest category at many races is 12'6 and under.  Average paddlers having fun with friends and family and staying healthy.  As a bonus they can line up next to champion paddlers on similar equipment.

Though I doubt many of them are going to shell out $4,100 for this years top of the line Bark race board.  As more boards shift from conventional layup to advanced construction techniques to be as light as possible they will become even more expensive and for what....an extra 0.2 mph? 

It's kind of silly when you think about it especially since if everyone buys the expensive boards then you are back to being even with your competitors but now everyone is broke.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
Something tells me that PDX and Tex will never be friends, though I have had a similar relationship with ex-wives.

As for racing SUPs being expensive, I just spent the weekend racing my vintage car. I've said it before, but it remains true. SUPs are free. No gas, no maintenance to speak of, you don't need to spend $1200 on new tires because some guy beat you by .4 seconds. Your gas doesn't cost $12.50 a gallon.

Free, I tell you, it's free.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 30, 2013, 07:19:39 PM »

So it counties, you run out of ideas and fall back on personal insults, then claim innocents when you get called on it.  Great debating technique. 

So you are from the "publish or perish" school, but you seem to have forgotten that the corner stone of that school is peer review.  You seem to have forgotten that this the thread is not about JT's thoughts, but about  "Can we kill board length limits?".  JT's article was presented as just one set of ideas about that.  In that context your demands are highly inappropriate.  It leads me to seriously ask, do you struggle with a cognisance disorder?  because your part of this discussion is highly reminiscent of discussions with my mother when she was in the early/middle stages of Alzheimer’s   

Celeste, you crack me up - mainly because your post was in response to TEX's "wanker" comments.

TEX, wanker comments sure aren't helping you make your case.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 30, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »
Something tells me that PDX and Tex will never be friends, though I have had a similar relationship with ex-wives.

As for racing SUPs being expensive, I just spent the weekend racing my vintage car. I've said it before, but it remains true. SUPs are free. No gas, no maintenance to speak of, you don't need to spend $1200 on new tires because some guy beat you by .4 seconds. Your gas doesn't cost $12.50 a gallon.

Free, I tell you, it's free.

Excellence magazine had a great piece last year on the twelve (or so) steps from your first track day... to your first divorce after spending your wife's inheritance on getting that last .02 shaved off your lap time... pretty funny...

For us folks past our professional mid-point... who are in that enviable position of making money from other people's efforts (and our own... and years and years of toiling in the salt mine... etc.) Free... but for others, not so much.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 30, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »
"Free" isn't that far off.  I've never sold a board before, but after getting Covesurfer's old new-style Glide to replace my old-style one (that I also got used) I'm thinking of selling the old one, and should be able to get at least close to what I paid for it.  So, basically free use of that Glide for the couple years I've owned it.  I don't think that's an unusual story. 

Even the up-front cost doesn't have to be very high.  I've always thought it was ironic that all the boards I've ever got, including a custom (for someone else) Bark, and the Glides and nearly-new carbon Javelin, have cost no more than any of the "one-design" boards that are intended to allow people to get into racing on a budget. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Traveling with DW foilboard?
[Foil SUP]
spindrift
February 27, 2024, 12:28:20 PM
post Re: Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 08:57:58 PM
[Foil SUP]
Dusk Patrol
February 26, 2024, 02:53:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
February 26, 2024, 02:30:21 PM
[SUP General]
PonoBill
February 26, 2024, 01:21:01 PM
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 10:07:42 AM
[SUP General]
PonoBill
February 26, 2024, 09:19:03 AM
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 26, 2024, 07:36:39 AM
[SUP General]
Badger
February 26, 2024, 03:00:03 AM
post Broke the Leverlock paddle's handle. Retire or replace part?
[SUP General]
oceanAddict
February 25, 2024, 09:05:48 PM
post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
February 25, 2024, 07:36:36 PM
[Foil SUP]
jondrums
February 25, 2024, 04:47:59 PM
post Assorted foils, wings and boards for sale.
[Classifieds]
B-Walnut
February 25, 2024, 02:14:27 PM
post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
February 25, 2024, 09:17:42 AM
post Re: WTB: Kalama E3 Wing Board - 131 ltr or 141 ltr
[Classifieds]
Fird
February 25, 2024, 05:33:55 AM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal