Author Topic: Inflatable SUP decisions  (Read 18653 times)

jwongbc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Inflatable SUP decisions
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:05:43 AM »
First post here and looking at getting an inflatable SUP. Found a few options locally and just wanted an opinion on which of these might be a good choice for my price range. New to SUP, only tried it once so far on a Surftech board that's about 10'6" 32" wide and 6" rail. I am 5'11" 195lbs and would mostly be paddling in flat water and some chop and probably not surfing waves as I rarely get out to the areas with them. Might also use to to paddle out and drop a crab trap at the start of my sessions.
Locally I've found these three models.
C4 Waterman 10'9 iSUP XXL
NRS Earl 6
NRS Czar 6
I haven't found much reviews on the NRS boards, but it looks comparable to the C4. Looking in the store I did notice the display C4 was missing a seam cover on the rail which concerns me a bit. Would it be worth giving up the 1' in length to use the 34" wide Czar for a bit more stability? and any other opinions on which one may be a good fit for me?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Inflatable SUP decisions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »
I hear Uli is the best...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Inflatable SUP decisions
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »
Don't know anything about NRS But a tougher design (than Surftech or C4) is the Fanatic inflatable 10'6 Super tough and stiff (for an inflatable) I've fished and crabbed off ours

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »
There are other options this year too.... from Naish, Hobie & Bote to name a few.
--
Bill

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:16 AM »
Dig a little and you will find some other options in Vancouver. Pacific boarder, kalavida (Vernon but ship), sundog, deep cove kayak etc... Some well established core shops that could most likely help you hunt.

Of the boards you mentioned I have only tried the C4. Have seen an Nrs on the water and it looked really nice. I have a Starboard Astro Whopper and really like the performance for taking on surfing trips.

Good luck!

Pampasurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
Hi all!

I am in the same "boat" as the OP (Canadian but from Montreal). The boards I can afford locally (from MEC) are:

NRS Earl 4   $895
C4 Waterman 10'9 iSUP XXL   $1035

The difference in price is not much ($140)... i would like to know if anybody here have any experiences with either of these boards. I don't mind getting the C4 over the NRS, but if they are overall very similar, i would get the NRS and spend the extra $140 on a paddle.

Also, on a side note...i weight 170 pounds (77kg), will a 4 inches board be ok for me or should i go for a 6 inches?

Thanks everybody in advance!
I am he, as you are he

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
If you fellow canucks can't find what you are looking for locally - I have over 20 different inflatable SUP's in stock from Starboard / Naish / Hobie / Boardworks / Coreban. 

Personally for relatively flat water paddling I really like the Starboard Astro Touring boards, and the Touring models from Hobie, as well as the Naish One are all great boards.   

We ship and there is also no PST in Alberta!   ;D

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
Also, on a side note...i weight 170 pounds (77kg), will a 4 inches board be ok for me or should i go for a 6 inches?

At 170 a 4" board will be fine for "general use" - if you want to get into distance paddling / or white water rivers - the 6" boards will perform a bit better.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Are the decks on the newer boards very stiff.  I had an older model, and even at 15-18PSI it was challenging to balance because of the give on the deck.

Have they improved that aspect of the inflatable boards' performance?

Pampasurf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:16:09 PM »
@ easyrider, thanks a lot for the fast response!!...you definitely have a wide selections of boards!...i will see how it goes locally but if i can't find anything i will for sure contact you....since it is my first board i don't want to spend more than a $1000...i see you carry a lot of first class starboards but they seem out of my budget now... 

I am he, as you are he

jwongbc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, like Pampasurf I'm trying to keep the board budget closer to 1k than 1.5k. Looking locally most places carry inflatables in the 1.5k range. Got a couple more weeks till my arm is in better shape so I'll keep looking around and maybe give you a shout easy rider if I don't find anything around here.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
Hey Guys:

Sounds like you are 1st-time SUP buyers.  Be aware of the the adage, "Penny wise, pound foolish".  If you buy an inflatable for $899 or $950 and it's a disappointment, haven't you just thrown your money away?

The quality inflatables now on the market are very good.  There are a few differentiators, but most of the main players (Starboard, Naish, Mistral, Red, Fanatic, Hobie, etc etc.) are offering very similar products, all which offer good performance for the price.  If they are all $200-400 more than your target price, then maybe that should be a sign that your target price needs to revised upwards  ;)...

I get where you're coming from -- "don't want to spend alot 'cause not sure I'll like it".  Trust us, you'll like it.  If you've already rented SUP or tried a friend's board, then you know you already "like" it.  My first board, I did the same thing....went cheap/used.  And regretted it.  I've since bought quality boards from the trusted makers.  Guess what?  It is MUCH easier to sell a quality used board if you change your mind or want to buy the newest eye candy.

I own an inflatable but don't know anything about NR-S, so I don't want to trash them.  But looking at their specs, two things jump out.  #1, they list their max inflation as 15psi.  That's a bit low.  The top boards now go to 18-20psi+.  It makes a noticeable difference in the board's performance.  #2, the valve they use on their boards is a C7 Leafield.  ??  That valve is typically used on inflatable rafts and boats.  All of the mainstream inflatable sup makers are using a different valve, called the Short Halkey-Roberts.  I am not an iSUP expert but I'll bet that the Short HR valve is designed for higher pressures...and that's why everyone else is using it.  (just a guess, but..).

3rd thing that jumps out at me is NO reviews for their inflatables.

My advice would be spend the extra money to get a known-quality brand name inflatable.  You will be happy w/ it and will be able to resell it...  Buy a junk paddle if you have to.  A junk paddle can be used as a spare or extra once you have the money to upgrade.  A junk board....there's no good use for a junk board!  :-[
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
I started out with a 10 6 C4 iSUP and really liked it, as long as you inflate to >16 psi. I'm a reasonably big guy @ 180 lb. I now have a naish glide 12 and there really is no comparison (to the C4 at least) but I think I'll always want to have an inflatable too for ease of travel and taking other people out etc and I still enjoy paddling it when the wife is on the glide ;) The new ones from naish and sb sure look appealing. Also, just saw this on cl today, it's not yours is it corlot?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/spo/3825460833.html

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
Haha.. No but it is my brothers. I am keeping mine. Just got back from surfing Dana Point. Super fun for travel. I would like to add a Uli FAQ eventually.

detourgreg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:24 AM »
I've paddled the Big Earl quite a bit and it is a good board. It is well made and paddles flatwater well. The only other iSUP I've been on is the Badfish MCIT  so I can't compare with other boards. I have only paddled the original Big Earl and I'm not sure if they changed it when they redid the graphics and came out with the 6" version. Compared to the MCIT the Earl is faster on flatwater but not as stable in whitewater or ocean chop. The MCIT surfs better too with more rocker. A lot of places here in Montana have the Earls in their rental fleets as they are sturdy and also do well on river.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal