Author Topic: I Phone or Spot Considered legal signal device  (Read 3521 times)

paddlepals

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I Phone or Spot Considered legal signal device
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
I would like to check the waters on this topic. We have a spot Personal Location device that we SUP as well as Iphones with lifecases. We wear PFD's and would feel that these other devices would constitute a proper signal device as well as in the case of an I-Phone a flashlight for night time cruises. Any comments in this regard? ???

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: I Phone or Spot Considered legal signal device
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
Signal devices requirements are are a whistle and a light as I understand it. I wear a head lamp at night and always have a cheap plastic whistle on a lanyard on my PFD. Less than $20.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:39 PM »
Signal devices requirements are are a whistle and a light as I understand it. I wear a head lamp at night and always have a cheap plastic whistle on a lanyard on my PFD. Less than $20.
You're right.  And you just need a bright light available to shine to make you visible when needed.  You don't need to have it turned on to be legal, although there could be times you might want to do that for safety.

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:11:37 PM »
Not sure what type of paddling you do that makes you need a SPOT tracker, but maybe a sea kayakers strobe or even a laser signal device would be handy to have.

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »
What PDX and Stone said,

All you need is a light and a whistle. The spot is good to have won't count as your required safety gear.

If I was to pick safety gear to carry, I would pick a waterproof VHF radio over the spot or a Iphone, the radio is made to be in the water and work, it also lets you talk directly to boats around you and rescue personnel that have radio directional finders that take you to the signal.

The radio is about $100 bucks and it floats vrs the cost of the spot or phone.

Just my own opinion.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 06:48:31 PM »
The SPot is a joke.  I have heard 2 stories when it was used and no one ever came!  The ACR is the best unit but is big and not really necessary unless you're really out there.  IMO the Iphone is the best device as you can call 911, your family or a competent friend to come save your ass.  Plus it has a pretty bright light and can be "pinged" by the carrier if you're missing and located just like a beacon.  Of course the regulations are a whistle and a light as a minimum because we are considered Vessels.  The leash is the best safety device in the biz along with a buddy. 
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
SPOT devices have multiple uses, and SPOT has effected many rescues.  You can record your movements, and your friends/family can track you on line.  When properly activated, and if you have a GPS signal (you should if you are on the water, unless you're in a deep canyon) the distress signal will be relayed to local search and rescue, Sheriff, or Coast Guard.  It's as good as any EPIRB or personal locator can be.  Whether the locals pay heed to an emergency notification is out of anyones control but theirs.  I have used a hand held marine radio for kayaking for years, combined with a GPS to give your position it's the standard for marine safety.  Bottom line is match your potential rescue needs with as much gear as your situation calls for.  If you're out of the surf zone, technically all you need is a PFD, and a whistle by Coast Guard rules.  For me, that's a belt inflatable PFD with a whistle in the pocket of it. 

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 01:05:57 PM »
Looks like a lot of people either hate SPOT or love it.  There are lot of reports of it not sending updates and this causes some unnecessary worry when friends and family are waiting for you to check in.  It's also my understanding that the distress signal is just a message sent to a recipient showing your lat/long.  It's not like an EPIRB, in that regard.  There's also a monthly subscription fee to SPOT I believe.

I put off getting a smart phone for a LONG time and finally broke down and got one.  It's a great piece of gear for paddling for real!  In addition to being able to call someone for help or a pick up, you can check weather, tides, wind, your GPS lat/long and kinds of good stuff.  You just need a waterproof case for it and you are good to go.

Leash, PFD, Whistle, Light (if at night), smart phone, buddy, water, food, float plan, all good. 

A really cool piece of gear that is under-rated these days is the ole VHF radio.  You can find a really small one, that is waterproof and floats for about $150.  You can hear weather reports, commercial boat traffic, and of course contact the Coast Guard on channel 16/9 if you really need help.

paddlepals

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the feedback..on many lakes remote and otherwise a VHF will just be a waste. I have spot used it liked it while cruising on our Sailboat. My understanding is that the law requires a signalling device hence the question... I want to have the least amount of gear to be considered legal in such places as Victoria Harbour where the Coasties /RCMP and border patrol all have a different idea....Our iphones are in Lifecases and seem to travel well . I amy test the waters so to speak on Canada Day in Victoria and see what the reaction of the feds are to a lifejacket /iphone and or spot.

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure that "signaling device" refers to signaling other vessels.  A whistle for day and a flashlight for night if going minimalist.

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 03:25:11 PM »
I just ordered the INReach SE so I can send and receive text. A little more confidence inspiring than Spot. Not specifically for the SUP but when I am dirt biking or mountain biking. I carry a cell but I only use it for pics and the slim chance I get coverage (though I leave cell, etc.. shut off to save the batts). For backup and some security the InReach with two way communication at least gives some piece of mind that my message has been received including a SOS.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:30:37 PM by johnrg »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
The Spots are OK. We've had them one the CCBC the last couple of times so folks on shore could follow our progress. I would not rely on it as a rescue beacon though. Smart phone is def good to take along and VHF are always good too (except in your case... ;D). Another thing we use on the CCBC...all the paddle captains carry one to communicate with each other and the safety boats. If you have Coasties in the harbor the VHF won't be useless there obviously.

Standingup is correct...the signal "device" is a whistle and flashlight but I always have my cell with me on long solo paddles.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:29:32 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:27 PM »
I use a PLB - Personal Locator Beacon and a VHF Radio. It is also worth considering Flares.

Spot is not the best way to get a fast response in a life or death situation. worth reading this - http://ukpaddlesports.freeforums.org/think-it-s-a-good-idea-to-use-a-spot-as-a-plb-think-again-t1091.html
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard