Author Topic: Hula Wave and Tower...  (Read 3271 times)

CCSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hula Wave and Tower...
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
I'm a small retailer who has dedicated the last three years of my life to building a little SUP shop. I've always held "building community" as a primary goal, and through tons of free demos, races, clinics, donations, fund raisers, etc., I like to think I've been somewhat successful in building community while also building a business.

This morning I found an ad on our local Craigslist for a Tower inflatable board, like all of the Hula Wave ads I've been finding lately. Both of these companies actively encourage people to sell their products under the radar, not collecting sales tax, without a business license, etc. The ads invariably talk smack about the products the "local shops" carry, and about how expensive we are (we're not.) They also manage to say the usual....ie, their boards are better, blah, blah blah then everyone else's whose cost so much more.

Competition on a level playing field is awesome, for customers and the industry. But unless we want to turn into a niche sport, like windsurfing, we've got to keep the playing field level. I could choose to stop obeying the laws myself, drop my insurance (that would save me a bundle!), and support some soulless folks who are just cashing in on a trend, sending our money to china, and have no stoke themselves, but I won't. I'd rather see others step up and do the right thing by supporting those of us who are legit, and not supporting those of us who give nothing back in return. It very well could cost me my business, I've lost roughly a dozen sales in the last few months (but I've already had 3 of those cheap Hula Wave boards brought in for ding repairs...because the person selling out of their garage will never provide any follow up customer service.) But doing the right thing, setting the right example for my children, and sleeping well at night means more to me than that.

In my neck of the woods I've reported several "garage" shops to the BOE. I hope other retailers will step on board and draw the line too. Otherwise in 5 years the only place anyone will be able to look at or purchase any SUP gear will be online, only, and the choices will be very limited. 

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hula Wave and Tower...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »
I can imagine it must be so frustrating for you guys.  I suspect you've been to Tower's website, where they actually spell out a pretty definite MLM strategy where they're trying to find "ambassadors" to "spread the stoke" by loading up their stuff on Craigslist.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the landfill than I am good shops going out of business.  These guys are setting things at a pricepoint to attract new people.  If I hadn't found a good deal on a used board 3 yrs ago, I probably would have ended up spending $750 for a pop-out with a paddle deal.  Don't think all the sales pitch in the world would have gotten me to spend $1200+ in a shop.

After playing around for a season or more and watching guys zip around me at the break, I was ready to make the jump and went down to Wardog's shop and made the plunge--because they had the time to humor a guy with basic questions and wanting to demo about every board.  And I'll be back there when it's time to add to the quiver.  Sounds like you run things the same way, so I'm hoping things will play out the same for you.

The guys who are buying the Craigslist, Costco or now, Home Depot boards just really are potential customers--but only after they buy crap, get hooked and then feel remorse.

Pulling for you!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »
I just spoke with Bob, the owner of Westcoast Paddle Sports whose been selling SUPs in San Diego longer than anyone. He offers a few low cost boards but is not in the 'race to the bottom' (his words). Like bulky says, you only buy a cheap board once.

I understand your frustration. My wife owns an independent coffee shop and has to deal with the evil empire of Starbucks. They continue to pull crap to run out the small guys, but by cultivating your core clientele, you come out ahead.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »
You're doing the right thing, it might not work out, but it's the only approach other than jumping on that tramp steamer. There will always be someone selling something cheap to take the air out of the top end. It's always been so. It's not just china. At one time WE were china, undercutting European manufacturers. There will always be people who buy first on price, second on quality. Realistically, they were probably never your customers to begin with, but some of them might become customers once they get tired of junk and no support.

Don't become disillusioned about the importance of building community. People stop short of success all the time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rail 2 rail

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »
Well, I can understand you frustration, but you're already seeing business coming in from the people who bought those boards and now need other peoples help.  also , thy are selling to one time customers.  When they want another board, they more than likely won't go back to them.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
Keep doing what you’re doing.  Great customer service will always win out in the long run.  Not sure how your store is stocked but carry everything else that a SUP’er needs.  The board is a one time purchase but they will always need additional items to keep themselves in the water.  Things like fins, wetsuits, board bags, board racks, paddles, ding repair, etc.  I think ultimately this is where you will make more profit anyways.  Once these guys come into the shop and buy a few things you can build repore.  They will feel a sense of loyalty and want to come back and give you their money even if it is a little more then the super cheap guy.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SteamboatBORN

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
I agree with Newps. Its the same thing in the ski industry here in Steamboat. I can easily get things online, or through a huge chain store, but paying a little extra through a local ski shop gives me a better feeling at end of day. Knowing my money is keeping this town alive is worth the extra little bit. Plus, once you get to know a shop or have friends in the industry, they hook you up with PRO-DEALS!!! No way could I afford my skiing and SUPing addiction without them!

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »
Selling value and the"why" not the "what" has always worked for me. You can buy a board anywhere, but there is only one you. Make sure your sales people understand that too! 

Best of luck,

Southbay

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
Look at Apple. Better product, most of the time, twice as much all the time. It's because people believe in the product image. Apple sells the "why" better than anyone....

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
My wife owns an independent coffee shop and has to deal with the evil empire of Starbucks. They continue to pull crap to run out the small guys, but by cultivating your core clientele, you come out ahead.

Every time I go to Jungle Java or Newbreak I always see more people at these two places than I do at the Starbucks there in OB. On top of that, if you go to Adams Ave you’ll see Lestat’s and Twigg’s doing way better than Starbucks across the street.  As a matter of fact that very Starbucks is struggling because of that.  If you are located in an area with high quality residents who live there and don’t think like sheep (plus sell a superior product), then it’s very possible for the little guy to do better than the big companies.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:54:23 PM by surf4food »

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
My wife owns an independent coffee shop and has to deal with the evil empire of Starbucks. They continue to pull crap to run out the small guys, but by cultivating your core clientele, you come out ahead.

Every time I go to Jungle Java or Newbreak I always see more people at these two places than I do at the Starbucks there in OB. On top of that, if you go to Adams Ave you’ll see Lestat’s and Twigg’s doing way better than Starbucks across the street.  As a matter of fact that very Starbucks is struggling because of that.  If you are located in an area with high quality residents who live there and don’t think like sheep (plus sell a superior product), then it’s very possible for the little guy to do better than the big companies.

Thanks for the plug, Jungle Java is my wife's shop.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »
Thanks for the plug, Jungle Java is my wife's shop.

Any time and just speaking the truth.  Starbucks across the street has more to worry about than your wife.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
Had to go back and edit my post after realizing I was just repeating what's already been said. Good advice all.

Keep doing it right. Best of luck that it works out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:51:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill