Author Topic: Paddle Imua maliko race  (Read 4518 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle Imua maliko race
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:55:15 AM »
This is an amazing event on Maui.  

It's a fundraiser for kids with special needs.  Tremendous sponsorship from local businesses.  Best run event I've ever been to.  Great food, big raffle prizes etc.  Loads of volunteers to make it a fun day.  

The weather is looking good for a nice maliko run.  Not crazy windy or big, thank goodness.  

The entry fee is only $50, less than the 'bigger' upcoming maliko races such as the olukai and naish.      

SIC is a big sponsor.  I hope Connor, Kai and the other upcoming pros are in town.

http://www.paddleimua.com/content/509d548bcca2f/Main_Race_Info.html#.UX6iVbUsnSg  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:58:18 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Imua maliko race
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
I used to work as a councilor at Camp Imua every summer. Could not be a better charity to support. Wish I could be there!  Have fun boys.

Southbay

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:20:55 PM »
I haven't talked  to anyone that isn't doing it. I'll be there, we leave the next day.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:27:27 PM »
For various reasons I chose not to race today.  But after swimming in the morning, I could see a glimmer of wind and Shirley and I decided to go up above Maliko and watch the start from the cliff. 

The horn blew and a very colorful armada of OC-1s bolted out of the gulch, followed closely by Bart and Jeremy on SUBs. 

All morning had been N winds around 7mph but in the last hour before the horn blew, it doubled to 14mph and shifted a little more sideways to the coast.  It was still angling about 45 degrees onshore but the grain had set up very clean, very small, short period runners.  Looked like a groomed ski slope.

Once free of the gulch Jeremy leaped away from Bart while Livio sacrificed immediate positioning for a much farther out line.  We wondered what would work but our plan had been to catch Iron Man at the movies.  It was sold out, so we watched Livio squeak into the finish a minute ahead of Jeremy.  Both great paddlers betting on tactical battle plans.

Never seen such red faces on racers.  It was hot hot hot.  These guys were the real Iron Men.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
I chose a deep inside line, not a great choice. I pushed hard the whole way and stayed in touch with the front 1/3 pack, which was good for me. I think I finished first in the FOG class (fat old guys). When I pulled outside at Kanaha I was surprised at how much more glide there was, so the last two miles I managed to overtake a few folks. I think I did something like 1:42 which feels respectable for such a light day. I don't want to know what Livio and Jeremy did.

I have no idea why I stuck to my "hug the reef" strategy, I could see Livio and Dave Kalama in an OC2 with Brody Welte headed for the horizon at the start. Not like those guys haven't done this before. I considered following them, but stuck to my stupid plan. Ah, well, it's probably too late in the game for me to start being wise. Besides, someone has to be an idiot.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Livio's time was 1:14 and JR's was 1:15, fantastic in those conditions. 

Pono Bill looked like he had the same pace he began with, at the very end.  Charged the whole way.

Every paddler that entered deserves kudos. 

I'll have my chance next weekend.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
Well compared to today, yesterday's conditions were outstanding.  Today is fairly strong SW winds which would have been headwinds the whole way.  This coming saturday's forecast looks decent for the Olukai.

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
Headmount, that's great news! JR also told me he's looking forward to some wind for the Olukai! This is going to be the longest work week untill I get on that plane!!!!

I give those guys credit for sticking it out in less than ideal conditions... were used to paddling in flat water, but, that's not why we are going

Maui-belle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
Conditions sure were tough... and yes I can definitely attest to the red-face syndrome at the finish line ;;;; I think most people would have had notions of not competing due to the conditions.... but I am so glad that I managed to over-rule that thought when it popped up in my mind. It was great to be out there with everyone, and good to get back into downwinding. My last run to the harbour was way back in July 2011, and with just one run to Kanaha earlier last week, it was such a great feeling to have been a part of this event and to finish in under 2hrs!! ... and felt twice as good to be promoting and supporting such a great cause as Camp Imua!!

Congrats to Travis and Kathy for their outstanding results
The Foote Maliko 14's dominated in the 14' Div 
Travis Baptiste 1st 14' Mens 
Kathy Shipman 2nd 14' Womens   

Congrats also to a young 17 yr old Aussie paddler in the race - Matt Nottage, who was riding one of our Foote Maliko 14's. He gave the field a run for their money and smoked in at 11th place overall and came 5th in the Mens 14' Div.

Many thanks to the Bluesmith Crew and Sponsors who organised a great event, provided paddlers with delicious food and loads of Hawaiian amber ale at the finish, and put on a post-race party with lots of local flavour.   Aloha  www.foote-surfboards.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
I remember when I used to be able to beat Travis, then again, I think I beat Conner a time or two. It helps to be racing against them when they're twelve or so.

Maui-belle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
Its sure is great to see these young guns developing such amazing skills so early in their lives.... and I have to say I'm constantly blown away by how humble they remain in-light of their successes. A testament to great parenting I'm sure,,,! Oh to be twelve again.....  ;)

lanikaipaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
Is it just me or are there no Oahu Standup-specific races?  I'm fine with sharing the ocean with other vessels, just not fond of their courses.  I've been wanting to put together a race with some buddys just for the hell of it.

This Imua race got me thinking of doing something similar for a camp on Oahu that a good friend of mine has worked out.  It's for children with cancer but the larger org that runs it is pulling out after this summer.

On that note, anyone organize and run a race of their own?  I found a DLNR form to get a permit to hold an ocean event, but I figure there's got to be more to it.  Will waivers cover liability or do these events get insured?  Ocean safety personnel typically volunteers?
Ben

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
Not too many events on Oahu for SUP guys.  No more BOP hawaii.  But there is the Quicksilver Waikiki Paddle Fest, I'm not sure if there is a 2013 event this year, Da Hui race on the north shore is a HUGE turn out!!!! but dont really have a RACE feel to it, more like a huge gathering of SUP's

I would have to agree that Maui is the SUP capitol of Hawaii. Everywhere you look in maui, there are always people in the water on SUP's.

Big Island... not so much SUP'ers small group of die hards in kona, and hilo.  But the following here is nothing like Maui. Perhaps it's because beach access is so poor on the Big Island. The only guys promoting the sport here is Hulakai. Big island only has events for OC.  Maui... seems as if you can just park your truck right there at the shoreline, and in the water, simple.

I too would love to organzie some kind of event here on the big island just for SUP's. But yes, there is a lot involved to put on an event, it's not as simple as one would think.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »
It's really not even that simple to organize a race here.  Dealing with Maui County isn't a piece of cake. 

But yeah, even the 1 pm shuttle on any good day turns into a drag race out of Maliko.  The way I see it just one other guy around you is enough to push you into a higher gear.  250-300 is pretty wild.  Inevitably there's always someone that is near you and that's fantastic.

lanikaipaddler

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:08 AM »
but i gotta assume that organizing a race is easier now that we can connect with other like-minded nuts on the web
Ben

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal