Author Topic: Have you used a bosu ball to help with balance?  (Read 12450 times)

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Have you used a bosu ball to help with balance?
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
What's your take on it? Worth it or not?

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Have you used a bosu ball to help with balance?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
I like it. I use it mainly for push-ups and sit-ups and my Indo board for balance, but it works well for that too, and rolls in all directions unlike the Indo board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 12:54:35 AM »
Yup, I like them. I do a lot of exercises standing on the ball side, and then some with it flipped over like a bongo board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:18:10 AM »
Thanks guys...my wife has been a fan of them back nearly a decade ago from when she was working out with a personal trainer (before we met). Im not too into fitness gadgets as they never seemed to live up to the hype, outside of her pointing out the box with the picture on it at Target it just never came up on my radar...but last friday we were in a sports authority and I finally saw one in the "flesh" sitting out on the floor where you could actually stand on it....still wasn't impressed until my wife flipped it over with the base up...now it had my attention...a stood on it in that orientation and immediately thought to myself this could be great for SUP balance training ...glad you guys verify!

Those of you that have/use them...did you go ahead and spend the extra $20+ dollars to get the pro/commercial model with the nonskid bottom and the heavy duty bladder?  The researched I have done points me in that direction ...10% up-charge for commercial grade seems like a bargain.

Thanks all... I appreciate the feed back...members of the zone are much more in touch with "functional" fitness...very helpful with sifting though the bucket of sand to find the golden nugget.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:53:09 AM »
 I am not sure if these are new or not, but I got a pair after looking into those Bosu balls..  I do not expect to ever get as 'balanced' as some you see on YouTube, but it's certainly a decent static exercise.  I 'shaped' my own Indo Board from 1/2" ply to simulate a SUP.

It is very heavy rubber/plastic and 24" diameter and textured top/bottom. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Just started using a Boso ball for SUP training at the YMCA.  I lower the pulley system and attach the longest bar they have (3 ft, 15 lbs). Then stand on a flipped over Boso and get my stroke on, er I mean paddle on.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »
You gave me visions of using a bare barbell bar as a paddle shaft while standing on a bosu and going through the paddle stroke...might be like swinging three baseball bats before stepping up the plate...after getting use to that your normal paddle would feel like less than nothing...if that's too heavy could always step down to different wall thickness/weight steel pipes...

Something usefull to do while watching TV :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 07:46:08 AM by SUPflorida »

Paddleboardprincess

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddleboard Princess
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »
I use it everyday with clients. I like jumping on it, lunging and doing single leg work on it. Great for planks too!

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
I love Bosu balls and use them all the time. With the rubber down, standing on the platform very closely simulates the muscular and nervous system work your lower body has to do on the SUP board. I do squats like this, kettle bell swings, kettle bell dead-catch-press, KB snatches and more. All kinds of good ideas on YouTube. Good luck
Bunch of old shit

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Is it worth getting a couple of VersaDisks in addition to the Bosu ball? or is it too redundant? The YouTube video on the other Zone thread shows the guy using both..different balance tools for different exercises.. What does one do that the other doesn't?

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
Oh yeah , love it . Inflate to max psi and turn upside down, Use with Kettle balls, dumb bells, trx. Also planks , push ups , squats...

ZSent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
im clearly addicted to bosu/balance work as well.. posted a bunch of examples here.. experimenting w/ balance lunges lately.. dynamic stretching kinda morphed into a big part of workout session..

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »
Oh and (SUPflorida) re/ VersaDisc..IMO any alternative balance challenge is good for mixing it up.. so you don't get too accustomed to any 1 balance challenge...  I use versadisc for single leg stuff and sometimes put a board on top (indo, skateboard deck..).. the Vdiscs at my Gym often deflate tho?

SUPinSC

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
I love the bosu.  I use it primarily hard surface up and do everything on it....squats, overhead presses, lunges (both sides for that one).....love  love love.  I miss it though, I no longer have a gym nearby.....just water.   :)

maybe its time to get one....

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
Flip the Bosu over and stand on it like you're paddling. Now close your eyes.......
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal