Author Topic: week at Maui West  (Read 7669 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: week at Maui West
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
It was head high at the cove yesterday evening.  South winds create great surf at that spot.  

The energy was from relatively near, not from way far away - more of a windswell.  But the locals tear it up.  Tide was super high, current was really moving, so it was really jacking up occasionally.  

I was lucky to make it out between sets in my ski.  (Lucky I didn't get mowed - no leash - whee!)  I go out about a half mile and zoom back on the windswell.  I turn off the wave just as I get to the surfers.  So fun.  I never surf the break on my ski out of respect to the surfers.  

That break gets surfable waves every day.  Always full of people.  It reminds me of the Lahaina breakwall.  Always jamming.  Tons of standups.  Nice inside break for the kids, everyone gets along really well.  Very friendly area.  Six mans launch and surf it too.  Great spot.      
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:52:10 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
On the hooking up with a local note.......I might get to go to Maui relatively soon and would be staying at the Marriott (girlfriend has timeshare hookup). It would be just us, no kids this time and she is very SUP and kiteboarding tolerant.

How does a tourist integrate in respectfully to find a decent spot and get some good time in away from the other tourists? My skills in the surf are marginal but my attitude is good and desire to respect the local ways is there.......how do I separate myself from the herd in the eyes of the locals?

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20:21 AM »

@CS: ditto! not easy... so why should I try (only once!) something, that is not easy, and something that requires very special conditions, and special equipment, and something that I wont be able to recreate...

It's actually tons easier than SUS and the reason to learn it, is that there are great DW spots being discovered all over the mainland.  When all your pals suddenly say they are going and are all jacked up,  don't you want to say, "Yeah, I'm in".  

Also this river running deal is a morphed form of DWinding or rather close cousin.  I'm sure any of those guys could come here and rip on a DW run.  Although I couldn't say the opposite would be true.  River running looks like the highest degree of difficulty.  Those guys wear helmets

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
Since you're going to the southside (I assume that's the Marriott you mean) then the Cove is your friend. Nice surf, and no vibe. It will be a bit thick with people but there's room to fan out. You can easily paddle from the Marriott beach to the Cove. It's due west, at the west end of the Kamaole beaches. The other easy choice is to drive towards Lahina. You'll come to Grandmas (easy), thousand peaks (Ukumehame) -- lots of room but watch the coral and urchins, Olowalu, Launiopoko (good facilities for picnic, kiddie pool, easy water access from the sandy beach to the east end), Guardrails and a few unnamed breaks, Puamana and then Lahaina Breakwall and on. Lots of easy places, no grief, no big expectations as long as you aren't a schmuck.

One of my favorite things to do is to take a bigger board (one with some glide), start at Launi's and pick off a few waves at each break, all the way to Lahina Breakwall. On a windless day it's no big deal to go both ways, if there's wind you can take a shorter jaunt. You can get water from the shower at Puamana and Lahina--I drink it and it hasn't killed me yet, or take along a credit card and paddle inside the Lahina reef and have lunch at Pacific O. Or go past Lahina, pull in to the boat landing at Mala wharf, and take the short walk to Mala or Plate Lunch. Bring sandals for that.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
If you have good respectful attitude, you will be fine.  Show up alone and
give the rippers some room and you can surf problem free.

I think that combining a surf vacation with your family is diifficult, unless
the consistent surf spot is right out front of your abode or your family all surfs.

But for a surf trip, Hawaii is exceptional.  Besides all the natural beauty,
warm water, ect,  it's almost surf guaranteed.  If your are willing to drive,
somewhere, one of the islands sides, everyday, are waves.  My experience
is on Oahu, and Maui, though different must be a bit similar.

The winter or summer are clear seasons in Hawaii, north shore or south
respectively.  The fall and spring will also have good swells,  just not as
consistent.

For a surfer, Hawaii is a special place and worth the effort to visit.  Just
skim all this info from the zone and enjoy.

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
I love Maui and I've had nothing but good experiences there.  I just returned from a nice family vacation.  I was able to get in a Maliko downwinder (barely!) with the help of Headmount.  After that, I got a couple of fun days at the little break at Kaanapali, paddled around Black Rock a few times.  The day I was to return the board back to the shop in Lahaina, I paddled from Kaanapali Beach to Lahaina beach and walked a block to the shop where the wife picked me up.

I'm a real beginner surfer and the break was small and very crowded with tourists.  One day I did run into Kimo there (who runs the shop in Lahaina) and he was very nice and helpful.

This was my third trip to Maui and I don't think I've ever had a run-in with any locals or tourists there.  As a former resident of South Florida, I understand the tourists-local mentality and I know I'm just a visitor there so I try to be polite at all times.  It also helps that I'm pretty tall, and most people don't ____with me.  ;)

JakeSupTX

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the info everybody. Of course now I want to leave tomorrow  ;D

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
I love Maui though I haven't been there since '07.  Being that I (as of yet) only SUP in flat water and still prefer prone for surfing, I think west side would be great for padding.   I didn't take up SUP until two years ago so obviously I haven't actually SUPed Maui yet, but did rent some kayaks in Kihei and saw a lot of people SUPing in the area.  As for food, Mama's was good (mostly for atmosphere) but my favorite is Maui Brewing Company which overlooks Honolua Bay (not sure about using a SUP down there).  Anyway, I'm heading to Oahu flying out this Sunday for 5 nights and I can't wait.

PiratesSayARRR

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
Maui Brewing Co doesn't overlook Honolua Bay...no view at all actually as it is in the Kahana Gateway Center.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »
Maui Brewing Co doesn't overlook Honolua Bay...no view at all actually as it is in the Kahana Gateway Center.

Well like I said, I was there in 2007.  If it doesn't over look the bay then I know it's very close to where you can see it.  At least that's the way I recall it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:12:25 PM by surf4food »

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
depends how many of their  beer sampler trays you had
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

PiratesSayARRR

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Well like I said, I was there in 2007.  If it doesn't over look the bay then I know it's very close to where you can see it.  At least that's the way I recall it.

Ya definitely can't see it from there either. Only about a 10 min drive from MBC. They are opening a second brew pub in Kihei in 2014.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
There isn't anything commercial within a good distance of Honolua Bay. You can see the water a mile or so outside Honolua from the Kapalua store, or the golf course, but you can't see the bay.

Don't feel bad, half the stuff I think I remember is wrong, and I have a general case of CRS -- Can't remember shit.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:46:08 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:19 PM »
I'll admit I get CRS a lot too or just plain remember things wrong.  I CAN say for a fact I've been to both and as far as I know it was on the same day.  I will admit having two flights of beer samplers also ;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill