Author Topic: First paddle in shorts of the season!  (Read 6280 times)

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First paddle in shorts of the season!
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
So, I went out last night around 4 pm. Air was about 50, it was sunny, guessing the water is in the 40's.

Hemmed and hawed about what to wear. As we say in motorcycling, dress for the fall, not the ride? Falling into water that could would be very unpleasant and potentially dangerous.

But, I really don't fall anymore on flat water unless I'm trying silly stuff.

Wearing the drysuit seemed like a bad idea as this was going to be a workout paddle, not just leisurely. I definitely wasn't going to wear the full wetsuit,  I would melt.

So I compromised, wore a farmer John shorty, trunks, 6.5mm boots, a wicking shirt and my O'neill wind stopper "jacket".

Turned out to be a pretty good combo, but everything against my skin was soaked by the time I finished, from sweat.

This is a tough time of year to determine what to wear, the air is warming, the sun is out but the water is frigging cold.

Ideas?

Here's the Runkeeper track, for the truly bored. Also, how does one get an elevation climb of 455', on a lake?
http://runkeeper.com/user/eslrichey/activity/171675096

Here's a couple of pics.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:16:29 AM by NoSaltSuper »
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: First paddle in shorts of the season!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »
On a warm sunny day I'd definitely trunk it. Water temp here is around 48 right now. I always try to get in at least one surf session before the end of April in trunks. So far it's been a no go this year but Saturday may be the day.  Flatwater I definitely would trunk it, a fall feels good after 10 minutes of paddling and you warm back up quickly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »
Yea I agree Stone.

After cooking yesterday, it'll be shorts on the flat paddles.

But for surfing, I still fall too often for that. Especially on Lake Michigan with the short wave period, you just don't catch a break sometimes.
Semper Fi!

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
Geez Stony... most proners on the Cape are still wearing full suits... including hoods in JUNE.
April is pushing a "Trunk" day for surf. :o

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
Sorry nosalt... I hit the "post" button too soon.

Glad you are getting into summer mode up there. I have been close to trunkin' it on flatwater... but the surfs been so good, I haven't paddled flatwater in two weeks. Next time... trunks.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
I surfed in trunks last Friday. Felt nice.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
Thanks Creek, it isn't really "summer mode" yet. But, what the heck, I only had skin exposed from top of the ankle, to top of the knee.

Still, it felt GREAT to be on the water, in shorts again.....

It's amazing. Having grown up in Ft. Lauderdale and the South in general, and 3+ years on Oahu. You REALLY appreciate the spring and especially the summers, when you live in a place like, Illinois!

Semper Fi!

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:19:33 PM »
Totally boardshorts weather now! Man, it feels awesome to run outta work throw them on and hit the water!

mittenkitten

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
Totally boardshorts weather now! Man, it feels awesome to run outta work throw them on and hit the water!

Yep!  I've been out last week and this week and the weather is perfect! So great to be back on the board. I've heard people complain that the water is still too cold, but apparently they've never been in Lake Superior. I have this habit of gauging the temperature of any lake (or ocean) by Lake Superior standards - it's the only lake I've been in in the middle of July where I went numb and had pounding headache. Everything else tends to seem mild in comparison...
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:50:19 PM »
I semi-trunked it in the Gorge today. Boardies with 2XU tights (I make those look GOOD), and a rash guard with a quicksilver SUP jacket over it. Fell in three times. I'm waiting for my nuts to show back up where they belong.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
I semi-trunked it in the Gorge today. Boardies with 2XU tights (I make those look GOOD), and a rash guard with a quicksilver SUP jacket over it. Fell in three times. I'm waiting for my nuts to show back up where they belong.

;D I laughed out loud first thing this morning at work. Quiet co-workers are looking at me like I should be in the looney bin.

Hoping for my first paddle on the big lake (Michigan) Friday or Sunday this week. Super pumped and looking forward to it! Looking at the weather I see they are forecasting a bit of rain and colder temps...better bring some layers.

Logan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:31 AM »
The water temp in Maine has warmed up over the last few days to 46.  Stop rubbing it in, I can't even move in my winter suit!
Logan

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
My paddle yesterday was trunks only! Well, sunglasses too. Man it feels great to be paddling in the sun again!

Haven't fallen in yet and hope to keep it that way for a few more days, at least.
Semper Fi!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
Did a flatwater into the wind in boardshorts and a poly long sleeve rashguard Monday night. A little chilly with the wind coming around the point and I was extra careful to stay standing with the water still 50 or so but otherwise awesome to be in shorts. My cutoff this time of year for surf is if its 60 and sunny with little or no wind it's boardshorts. Wind...even a little off the water changes that. You have to be able to warm back up after falling.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:40:09 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ZooSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
Started out today's paddle with 78 degree weather, sunshine as far as the eye could see (mind you with the assistance of contacts!) and a slight breeze....20 minutes into it a torrential downpour started. No biggie, I thought as it looked like sunshine behind it. The rain stopped after 10 minutes or so, then back to bright skies. 15 minutes later, harder rain with complimentary thunder and lightening. Man, I think booked it back to shore quicker than I paddled during any of my intervals today.

Came home soaked to the core, but it was an awesome paddle!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard