Author Topic: SUP in Texas!  (Read 4161 times)

Rock Fin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP in Texas!
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
Hi All,

Stumbled on this forum a few days ago, so Hello everyone!

My background is windsurfing (so I'm used to brands such as Naish, Starboard, Fanatic, Exocet etc.).
I have SUP in Europe and Costa Rica but I live in North Texas and I am currently looking for a board for this area.

I am looking for an all-rounder board as I live right by a lake/River but take frequent trips to the Texas coast (waves are small around 2-4 ft.)

I know it might be a tall order as with windsurfing no "one board' can do it all, but can anyone recommend a good start?

FYI... I am 5' 10", 195 lbs.

Also many years ago when SUP was getting popular some brands even had a small mast track for a windsurfing rig.  Does any manufacturer even make those anymore?

Thank you!

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP in Texas!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »
Welcome!

The brands you mentioned are all top brands for SUP.  You can't go wrong with any of those.  I would suggest you check out their websites and see what they have to offer.  They all have great descriptions and recommendations for use on their sites.

I can personally recommend the fanatics, as I purchased an Allwave last year and it has a windsurf attachment.  Fanatics have a few boards that are windsurf friendly, so start there and tell us what you find.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
North Texas?  You may want to check this out.

http://www.supntx.com/

MountainMan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
Hey Rock Fin, welcome!  As mentioned by Deadbait, the brands that you mentioned all make great SUPs.  In fact, if you're looking for something performance oriented that has good durability, I definitely recommend buying a board from one of the windsurfing manufacturers.  These guys have been building strong, light boards for 30 years and have developed good construction techniques. 
     You're right that no "one board" can do it all really well.  But there are a number of good all-arounders out there.  My personal recommendation is the Starboard Big Easy.  This was my first board.  I now have eight boards in my SUP quiver and I still use this board just as much as any of my others.  It has the inserts for a mast foot and I windsurf this board, I surf it in anything from ankle to head high surf, I fish off of it, I teach others on it, and I use it to tour and cruise.  It's not the best at anything, but it can do all of it pretty well.  Hope this helps.  Todd

Rock Fin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:25:04 AM »
Hi All,

awesome thanks for the suggestions so far...I will go check out supntx as well.

Mountain Man, 8 SUP boards!  Thats similar to my windsurf quiver, but I would have to make room in my garage as I already have 7 windsurf boards and 11 sails...Haha. 

Looking forward to doing some board research, I'm sure I will be back with more questions...Cheers!

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 07:12:49 AM »
Rock Fin--I see a garage sale in your future.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »
Welcome to the Zone!

My 11'6" Amundson Aquaglide is a good all around board and has a mast foot as well. VERY stable, great for teaching others, taking the dog, fishing and surfing small waves.

I have yet to windsurf it, hope to this year.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

Surfer44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 09:11:20 AM »
I have a 2010 Starboard Silver Blend which is the windsurf option. I'm selling it and the OAM bag for $1000.00 both garaged and like new.
I also am a windsurfer and have about 8 boards, 6 masts, 3 booms and 10-12 sails.  I NOW have 6 SUPs . Two race, 2 surf style and 2 ISUPs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
 but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW, what a ride!!!

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
www.808boards.com      Texas boy on Maui
www.foote-surfboards.com   

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 04:50:27 PM »
You can also talk to Tyler Marshall at DFW Surf
https://www.facebook.com/dfwsurf

In Austin, we have Austin Paddlesports.  I have a windsurfing background too.  If you were at Fireant beach in the 90s, I probably know you.

Rock Fin

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 05:52:14 AM »
You can also talk to Tyler Marshall at DFW Surf
https://www.facebook.com/dfwsurf

In Austin, we have Austin Paddlesports.  I have a windsurfing background too.  If you were at Fireant beach in the 90s, I probably know you.

I moved to the U.S. from England in 1999, so I'm not sure?  I now sail off Dalrock and I-30 (where the kitesurfers launch from)  but for SUP I will probably launch from Fireant as it has a bit more of a beach. We have had some good spring winds so far...looking forward to nice warm mornings again and a early paddle before Dallas wakes up!  :)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
I was there from 93 to 97.   Last time I spoke to the guy at Mariner's, he told me a lot of the regulars from that time have moved on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal