Author Topic: Naish Mana Problems  (Read 6347 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Naish Mana Problems
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I have a Naish Mana 10 (bamboo), which I like, but it started having some issues w/ the area around the handle and the handle itself....it is releasing air through micro-fine pinholes and cracks that have developed.  There also seems to be some cracks inside the handle itself where air is escaping when the board gets hot.  I seems obvious to me that if there is air escaping, then some water has also gotten in when the board is in the water.  It seems to feel a little heavier, but that may just be me being paranoid....it weighs in at around 30-31lbs which I think is about what it always has been...

Has anyone else had similar issues? Any ideas on the best way to fix something like this?  Seems to me that the whole handle has to be replaced and repair the whole area....is it worth it?  Would a Goretex vent be a good way to prevent this type of issue in the future?

Thanks!!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Mana Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »

There was one ( I think Naish Nalu 9'6')  on Craigslist   here about two weeks ago.  It was described as needing repairs to  the handle.  I remember wondering how the handle got damaged because I thought I  knew how to damage just about anything.  No mention of bamboo.  I looked for that ad before posting and it's gone.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »
This is what your handle looks like with deck pad removed.
http://ncpaddlesurfer.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-redeck-naish-sup.html

It's a huge block to cut out of the board. It will require replacing some foam. Installing a new FCS handle, unless Naish can supply a replacement.

Plus a new deck pad.

Once the new foam is in place, I'd probably use carbon to lam over it. Just to make sure you don't heel dent it later and cause another leak.

It's easier than it sounds for a pro and you'll be good as new.

Deadbait

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
I had a similar problem with one of my SUPS, the handle just started cracking and became loose when carrying it, but never came out.  I also thought it was getting water inside.

I took it to a local surf shop and they said it wasn't too bad, and they just replaced the handle and sealed it all up.  I lost about an inch of deck pad around the whole handle area, but it doesn't look too bad.

They charged me around $60-$70 for it.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
I hade a bamboo 10' Mana without any problems.. and mine had a gortex vent plug.. and also mine was the old type handle.. Is yours the new shape handle?

DJ

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
New type handle....
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

JulioSUPBrazil

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:42:04 AM »
This is a known issue on SUP boards where the handle and foot 'best place' are too close. The block suffer compression making the lamination break around the handle.

Just let your board dry then put some epoxy resin or araldite around the handle.
Bread and circuses for the people!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 08:14:16 AM »
Jon,

That is a notorious leaking point. The "best" (structurally speaking) is to take the recessed handle out and putin a block of foam relaminate and finish. Put on some deck padding and add a strap handle.
This has happened in our Naish Demo boards and this solution seems to work under HIGH use situation

Or you can dump it and get a new board hint...hint
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:34:22 AM »
Jon,

That is a notorious leaking point. The "best" (structurally speaking) is to take the recessed handle out and putin a block of foam relaminate and finish. Put on some deck padding and add a strap handle.
This has happened in our Naish Demo boards and this solution seems to work under HIGH use situation

Or you can dump it and get a new board hint...hint
JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Well the board is in Costa Rica still, so I will be need a "surf" board soon for NY.....something that goes well w/ the new paddles...:) ;D
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »
The reason it's in the handle area is the stresses applied to the area. No matter what the construction is, the skin of a surfboard is not really designed for that kind of load. I've had to replace leash plugs used for a paddle handle (run loops of kite line through two widely spaced plugs and you can carry your board by threading the paddle through the loops).

Putting a thin layer of epoxy on the leak is a very temporary repair. The stresses remain and the epoxy has very little strength. The suggested methods of insetting a block of PVC, or even blue construction foam, and setting a new handle is a fine one, but it requires good glassing skills. If I were looking for a simple repair that anyone could do, I'd clear the deck pad around the area, sand a five inch area around the handle until it's clean of any contaminants, then glass over the handle with several layers of fiberglass, starting with a patch perhaps two inches larger than the handle and finishing with one perhaps four inches bigger. I'd probably want at least three layers of 6oz. You can route the handle back open once you're done or abandon it in place and use a sling to carry your board.

This is also a temporary repair, it's only a little stronger than epoxy alone unless you abandon the handle. But if you don't have a skilled repair person in the area then it's an easy fix.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DimiSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
I had exactly the same problem with my 9'0 Mana but it happened only several months after I bought it so my board was still under warranty. Naish replaced my Mana with a new one after I sent them an e-mail with some pictures of the problem. The cracks were not visible but I could feel them with my fingers. I succeeded to photo them after I put a small cosmetic mirror in the handle.
In fact the idea of my e-mail was to receive from Naish a replacement handle but they decided to replace the whole board !

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
Yup - looks like the same kinda issues.... >:(  Of course my board is about 2 years old now and was already warrantied once before for delam....
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:26 AM »
...I seems obvious to me that if there is air escaping, then some water has also gotten in when the board is in the water.  It seems to feel a little heavier, but that may just be me being paranoid....it weighs in at around 30-31lbs which I think is about what it always has been...

You are probably right, but to be sure, tape a square of clear plastic wrap over the handle area in the morning.  If the board has taken on significant water, as the board heats up during the day, you will see water droplets develop on the inside of the wrap.  If this is the case, the board will need to be dried out before it is repaired.  The sooner you begin the process of drying the board out the less chance the water has to migrate away from the handle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal