Author Topic: Ke Nalu Adjustable  (Read 6781 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Ke Nalu Adjustable
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
The Adjustable part is now available on our website www.kenalu.com It's only $10 & will eliminate the need for hairdryers to adjust. The part is made to retro-fit any existing Ke Nalu shaft & is used with a longer version of the Extended Ergo-T handle to give 10" of adjustment (the shorter Extended handle will also work). The part uses 2 allen head screws (tool included) to tighten but it's likely the most sturdy system available. For those who don't want an adjustable you can use the part to tune in your length and then remove it & glue your handle in place. For more information check out the "Adjustable Part Instructions" listed under the "Paddle Info" drop down menu.

We're also working on a quick release clamp system that will make a good break down travel paddle (3 piece if the blade is removed). That should be available soon.

JeanG

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ke Nalu Adjustable
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
Looks nice. Better to have a lower profile and more secure system than one which can easily be adjusted, in my opinion anyway. Does it keep water from leaking in?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
So far there hasn't been any problems with leaking & they were tested in some pretty serious surf (10+ Kauai) and Mexico. One of the "testers" had a small leak but re-installed it & solved it.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
 It's "DA BOMB"...  I've been testing my proto-part since January in all kinds of surf conditions; Just been waiting for Lane to give the OK to release a review...
 You have to figure out what length you want to be able to adjust your paddle to and then cut the excess off the top of the shaft. Then hot-glue on the adjustable collar part, add the super-long extended Ergo-T handle, figure out what length to set it and tighten the set screws. BAM; You now have an easy to adjust paddle...
 I recommend making a shaft-plug out of that extruded foam that swimming pool noodles are made of to keep any excess water from getting deep down into the shaft (JIC)... I also coated the opposite ends of the set-screws with some silicone as they stuck out about an eight of an inch (I'm guessing you could use a Dremel tool to take the excess off, as well). Keep in mind that mine is a "prototype" and your set screws may not stick out as far as mine when tightened...
 The hex-key is 8mm (I believe). Too bad we couldn't have used a regular fin key but that size proved to be too weak...        Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback JD! You're correct the finished part has shorter screws that don't protrude when tightened. We very much wanted to use a 2mm tool so people could use an FCS key but the screws were too small for this application, our tool size is 2.5mm.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
It's "DA BOMB"...  I've been testing my proto-part since January in all kinds of surf conditions; Just been waiting for Lane to give the OK to release a review...
 You have to figure out what length you want to be able to adjust your paddle to and then cut the excess off the top of the shaft. Then hot-glue on the adjustable collar part, add the super-long extended Ergo-T handle, figure out what length to set it and tighten the set screws. BAM; You now have an easy to adjust paddle...
 I recommend making a shaft-plug out of that extruded foam that swimming pool noodles are made of to keep any excess water from getting deep down into the shaft (JIC)... I also coated the opposite ends of the set-screws with some silicone as they stuck out about an eight of an inch (I'm guessing you could use a Dremel tool to take the excess off, as well). Keep in mind that mine is a "prototype" and your set screws may not stick out as far as mine when tightened...
 The hex-key is 8mm (I believe). Too bad we couldn't have used a regular fin key but that size proved to be too weak...        Paddle on,    JD

This looks cool but doesn't it get in the way when you transition your paddle from side to side?  I just broke my extended ergo T loose today (not enough glue maybe?) and wonder if I should try this?  I just add glue...

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:07:25 PM »
 Nope AJR... I never notice the collar-part when I'm paddling. Guess it's in an area that's paddle-transfer 'neutral'  ;D...        Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard