Author Topic: Exocet Marlin 14' AST Review  (Read 29696 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Exocet Marlin 14' AST Review
« on: April 19, 2013, 05:51:44 PM »
I’m going to start a thread about my new Exocet Marlin 14’. I had gone through a year-long search for a new flatwater board to replace the NSP 11’ that I’ve been paddling. I outgrew that board on the flats over a year ago, but unfortunately a new board wasn’t going to come soon. I’m a public school teacher so it’s hard to slip a new board into the budget on a regular basis.

I needed a board for the Hudson River. The Hudson is an odd place to paddle. It’s brackish for much of it’s length and very rocky. Any river board was going to have to be tough. The board was also going to have to be good in chop. The tides plus current plus winds can create some weird local conditions. It can be perfectly flat, then 100 yards away you have foot-high chop. The winds can also be very variable. I’ve seen five mph go close to twenty in minutes. It also had to have tie-downs for distance paddling and just carrying gear.

I went around with a few ideas, originally thinking about a 12’6” board, mostly because of the price, until I saw the Exocet Marlin. At $1,299 the price was right and very competitive. It seemed to fit all of my criteria too. Plus, it was made by Exocet, which is a company I like. I come from a windsurfing background, and my remaining two boards are Exocets. I’m especially fond of my Exocet Kona One, which is a great, tough, versatile longboard, the perfect board for the variable Hudson.

The Marlin comes in a carbon as well as an AST version. I went with the AST version -- mostly for price -- but there was also the durability factor. I don’t mind a little extra weight if that means extra strength.

I’m going to talk about the board with little experience with boards of this type. If I miss something or are inaccurate about a description, that’s where I’m coming from. As well, this is a virgin, never-ridden board, so I can’t talk about paddling it yet. That will come, but even when I do discuss the board on the water, I won’t have the experience to compare it to other boards of this type.

The board has a very nice shape. Looking from the top, it’s quite concave at the nose but that shape gradually changes to be completely convex at the tail. I assume this is to get the rider lower on the board but to also allow drainage at the tail. The deck is padded with a waffle pattern which seems fine for feet, giving maybe a little extra friction than a flat pad. That waffle pattern is probably good for drainage too.

The Marlin has a standard handle plus it’s tapped for a windsurfing mast or camera mount, which is nice. I could actually use one of my sails on it. The tie-downs are integrated into the board and there are fourteen of them, nine in the front and five in the rear. The rear tie-downs are nice, because I could mount a kayak seat there and take my nine year-old son on some of my longer expeditions. I’m going to be teaching him  how to kayak this year, so this might be a great way to give him a chance to learn paddling under my supervision. (Note to self: some rail tape might be a smart purchase.) The tie downs in front are enough for a bag plus some netting, or a PFD.

The nose is rounded with some rocker. I don’t know enough to tell whether that’s a lot or not, but there’s a definite curve to the board in general. It looks like it will pierce through chop pretty effectively, at least compared to the all-around board I’m used to. The bottom is pretty flat and the rails are reasonably sharp.

I rather like the green color. I would have preferred the all-green look of the carbon board, but that’s the choice I made. There’s a pretty peach-colored hibiscus pattern near the nose, reminding me of the pattern on my Kona One. The sepcs of the board are printed below the flowers. Above the model name “Marlin” is a... flying fish. Why is it not a Marlin since that is the name of the board? Flying fish are certainly pretty, but it seems a bit odd to have one on a board named for a completely different species, one that actually preys on flying fish! And it’s not like a marlin is an ugly fish either; they’re quite beautiful, so why not put the right fish on the board? Same with the wing pattern on the footpad. What does that have to do with the board’s name?

The fin is an Exocet model, and it seems a little small for such a big flatwater board. I made a comparison shot with two other surf-style fins, and it’s the smallest of the three. It’s also very translucent. The trailing edge almost seems to disappear. Those of you with more experience than myself with fins can tell me how well-matched this fin is to a 14’ board.

The board came with two accessories: a carbon Epic paddle and a long black “sock”. The Epic paddle seems like a standard low-end paddle. It felt an ounce or two lighter than my workhorse Kialoa Pupu. I wasn’t sure what to make of the sock. It’s a little short for the Marlin’s fourteen feet, and it’s a strange shape. I wonder if it was made for something else. Is the odd shape to accommodate the board’s rocker? I also got an Epic bag to protect the board on the road.

As soon as I get this beast in the water, I’ll have more to say about it. Thanks for having the patience to read my lengthy review. I have a lot of hopes for this board, and we’ll see if they pan out.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Exocet Marlin 14' AST Review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
That's one nice board, Ichabod. . . And a great review.  It will be a great touring board, all that volume should float you and your son + lots of gear.  Make sure you follow up with an in water review.  (please.)

Thanks for taking the time to post. 

David S
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
+2. Nice review. A mention of this board lately made me start looking at it (dumb me looking at boards pretty hard lately, something to do with longer days I think) and I look forward to when you get it on the water.......but I am sure not as much as you. 

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
 +3 on the pre-review, Ian... You will want to change the fin, as the fin it comes with was meant for the ocean and down-wind... The flying fish logo IS an Exocet. That's where the French came up with the name for their Exocet missile. That name came from the actual fish itself. Good ideal for a Marlin logo too and I'll pass that up the chain... Thanks and paddle on,  JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
Ah, I did not realize that about the flying fish. I stand corrected. Actually, I feel slightly dumb for not knowing that, being a fish geek and all.

I'll look into a new flatwater fin too.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
How do these boards (14 or 12'6") surf?  Not talking about head high stuff, but while touring/distance paddling, I  like to catch some knee to waist high waves at far off reefs.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
How do these boards (14 or 12'6") surf?  Not talking about head high stuff, but while touring/distance paddling, I  like to catch some knee to waist high waves at far off reefs.

That's where they really shine, mik911. Pics up a wave (swell or even a good sized chop) and you take a step or 2 back and just glide...  Paddle on,     JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

SUPtanker

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
So, have you had it in the water yet? I'm real interested in this board.

Bklyn2Oahu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
So, have you had it in the water yet? I'm real interested in this board.

+1
14' Naish Glide

Ke Nalu Maliko

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:45 PM »
Bueller? ;)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 06:13:29 AM »
Sorry -- I'll have the board on the water soon. I didn't want to include this in my review, but the board got damaged during shipping. There's a bit of hull damage. I'm getting this resolved as we speak. That's been the holdup.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:17:57 AM »
Finally heard from the shipper and my board is now going in for repair. A shout-out to East Coast Surf Products in Larchmont, NY. They said the repair will be about $60.

Question: since the board hangs a fair bit off the end of my car, should I have one of those ribbons flapping in the rear?

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AM »
Also, I ordered a SUP Gladiator Hybrid fin since the fin with this board is a little small for dedicated flatwater.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
Nice wheels...all of them.  ;D

I tie a red ribbon on the end of my 14' board (hyundai accent) as its a 10 second investment of my time... There's way too many in attentive/distracted/stupid people driving ...

Glad the repair was cheap and you dealt with it before succumbing to the collective's pressure to get it out on the water...  ;).  

DS
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 08:06:01 AM »
A ding while being shipped is a big bummer....one sees the damage when unpacking and it feels like the heart skipped a beat :P
Hope you get it repaired soon, it's a beautiful board with a very interesting shape. Exocet boards are not available locally so your excellent review is welcome and after paddling remarks are awaited.
Be well
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard