Author Topic: Gun Control starts at home  (Read 43221 times)

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Gun Control starts at home
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
Maybe you shouldn't own a gun if:

-a member of your household has anger management issues and takes several medications to manage it.

-a member of your household cares more about the afterlife of friends than your actual life.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/04/15/2465255/police-teen-shot-parents-because.html

It really is scary how many guns are accessible to unstable individuals. 

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gun Control starts at home
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Blaming the gun thing again, really?

Dude, more people were killed last year by hammer-wielding murders than with "assault weapons".

Murderers use knives, baseball bats, bare hands, strangulation, pressure cookers and so on and so on to kill others.

Guns make it quicker/easier to kill. Eliminate guns and guess what, people will still kill each other, sadly.

My guess, an individual that unstable would have tried to kill his parents one way or another, with or without the guns.

But I do agree with one point, if my kid had anger management issues, the gun would be locked and/or with a trigger lock. But then, I'd have to hide all the knives, 2x4's, rope and so on.

Is it really scary how many other weapons are available to unstable individuals, or just guns? Why do people have to fixate on guns, as if there are no other types of murder weapons?

Ok, kathump, I'm off my soapbox.
Semper Fi!

It's simple, either you get the wave or the wave gets you.

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:56:36 AM »

Why do people have to fixate on guns, as if there are no other types of murder weapons?

Well, because:

Guns make it quicker/easier to kill.

Um, it looks like you answered your own question . . .

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
You know what would happen if the gov't came for your guns?
Lots of death.

Why does nobody realize that's what would happen?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »
I'm not an NRA fan, they seem absurdly reactionary to me, I'm not fond of zealots of any stripe. But they are certainly correct that gun control is letting the camels nose in the tent. People look at it as a solution to violence in our society, which is ridiculous.

Yes, people who own guns should keep them secure. People who drive cars should never drive drunk or distracted. Let's go in order of the bigger danger to everyone. Take the cars away from anyone caught diddling with a cell phone while they are driving. As soon as you get that done, you can have my pistol. Which you'll find locked in my gun safe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:36:01 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »
Diddling with their cell phone?  That's me, your paddling partner.  I'm trying to stop.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Newtown has brought to public awareness a multitude of reasonable steps that could be taken to reduce gun violence.  Many of these would have widespread support from both sides.  States sharing mental illness records, etc.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »

Why do people have to fixate on guns, as if there are no other types of murder weapons?

Well, because:

No, that's not "the" answer to my question, that's just one point. Guns are not the leading cause of deaths in this country, so why fixate on them? That's what makes no sense to me.

People have this odd fantasy that oh, if we just outlaw guns, or greatly restrict them, everything will be lovely, kumbaya. I don't recall all the places/facts, but I do seem to recall tens of thousands of murders, by machete wielding tribes in Africa not too long ago.

Sure, guns may make it easier but as I said, without guns people will still kill each other, it just gets more personal without a gun.

As PB said, outlaw cars too, lots more killed by those than guns.
Semper Fi!

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
I'm not having any children.
Think of the deaths I'm preventing.

People die. End of story.

NoSaltSuper

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
Newtown has brought to public awareness a multitude of reasonable steps that could be taken to reduce gun violence.  Many of these would have widespread support from both sides.  States sharing mental illness records, etc.

FYI, I agree with many of those steps, I'm not even a member of the NRA, I just support the 2nd amendment.

I don't agree with banning "assault weapons", as stated more people were murdered by hammers last year than assault weapons.

I also support concealed carry, open carry would be even better.
Semper Fi!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
I'm not having any children.
Think of the deaths I'm preventing.

People die. End of story.

That's an interesting concept and certainly there are many trials and tribulations with being a parent.  Number one is watching out for their safety.  Someone told me, "You never draw another free breath once you're a parent."  And now as a grandfather I can tell you it's still true.

But on the other hand that tight grip you try to maintain to keep them safe, also serves to keep you grounded and alive.  I would have self destructed years ago if I didn't have kids.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »

Well, because:

No, that's not "the" answer to my question, that's just one point. Guns are not the leading cause of deaths in this country, so why fixate on them? That's what makes no sense to me.

People have this odd fantasy that oh, if we just outlaw guns, or greatly restrict them, everything will be lovely, kumbaya. I don't recall all the places/facts, but I do seem to recall tens of thousands of murders, by machete wielding tribes in Africa not too long ago.

Sure, guns may make it easier but as I said, without guns people will still kill each other, it just gets more personal without a gun.

Are you saying that there only should be laws about the leading cause of deaths? Only pass sensible gun laws when they become the number one killer???

No, people looking at reasonable gun laws aren't having odd fantasies and think everything will be lovely. They are just saying that they are tired of mass killings at schools, movies, and shopping malls by assault rifles with high capacity magazines.

Yes, there are many ways to kill people, but a crazy person with automatic rifles is very hard to stop.

There are a lot of car laws that help to reduce deaths, why not do the same with guns.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 11:52:06 AM »
In the country of Indonesia there is absolute gun control.  No second amendment.  The only people allowed to have guns in the country are the police and army and the army has better ones than the police.  The army is the top dog.

Now Indonesia is a fairly screwed up country and corrupt as all get out but the murder rate from guns in the country is zero from what I know... unless it's done by the police or army.  There have had a few bombings but the perps were chased down and eliminated.    Out in the eastern islands  there have been political type killings, like in East Timor.  But again the military was responsible for supplying errant militia with weapons to kill civilians, weapons sold to the Indonesian military by the US. 

Now people still find ways to kill one another there but they can't do it fast.  They have to use a knife or sword... much more grisely and personal.

So on one hand they have a low murder rate with guns but on the other the authorities there have a grip on one of the most populated areas of the world that they might not have if they allowed people to own guns.  This may have strayed from the original thrust of gun control at home but just thought I'd give a look at another reality.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:00:45 PM »

There are a lot of car laws that help to reduce deaths, why not do the same with guns.

Laws are empty wind unless they are enforced. There are plenty of laws concerning weapons as well--not much enforcement. New York state has the strictest gun laws in the nation and NYC is even stricter. Anyone ready to move there to be safe from gun violence?

My position, not that anyone cares, is that if you wish to curb violence you need to address it at it roots. Owning a gun is not the root. Do you fix drunk driving by taking away the cars from everyone who has never driven drunk?

How about "use a gun to commit any crime, and you go straight to the organ banks"? I'm good with that. I bet the NRA would be too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
In the country of Indonesia there is absolute gun control.  No second amendment.  The only people allowed to have guns in the country are the police and army and the army has better ones than the police.  The army is the top dog.

Now Indonesia is a fairly screwed up country and corrupt as all get out but the murder rate from guns in the country is zero from what I know... unless it's done by the police or army.  There have had a few bombings but the perps were chased down and eliminated.    Out in the eastern islands  there have been political type killings, like in East Timor.  But again the military was responsible for supplying errant militia with weapons to kill civilians, weapons sold to the Indonesian military by the US. 

Now people still find ways to kill one another there but they can't do it fast.  They have to use a knife or sword... much more grisely and personal.

So on one hand they have a low murder rate with guns but on the other the authorities there have a grip on one of the most populated areas of the world that they might not have if they allowed people to own guns.  This may have strayed from the original thrust of gun control at home but just thought I'd give a look at another reality.

It's not even slightly off course. It's why there IS a second amendment.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal