Author Topic: Adj. paddle maintenance  (Read 1783 times)

SUP-poser

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Island Paintings and Woodwork
    • Email
Adj. paddle maintenance
« on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:52 AM »
It occurrs to me that regular removing/re-inserting of the handle on my Werner adjustable paddle for rinsing/transport will probably eventually result in wear and maybe loosening and increasing play in the handle. Do you guys lube the telescoping parts with something, maybe Armor-all type silicone or Graphite? I'm aware that silicone products can complicate repairs or adhesion of resins and paints, so maybe that idea isn't too clever.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 11:08:24 AM by SUP-poser »
Allwave 9'5"
Surftech 10' AST RF Generator
Werner (Carve?) 2 piece adjustable

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adj. paddle maintenance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
I think Werner recommends just a fresh water rinse to the paddle.  The paddle should be stored hanging down so that water can drain from both pieces.  I just rinse my 2 piece Nitro and have not had a problem.  I've beat the crap out of that paddle for a couple of years now, no problems.

The absolute worst thing you can do to a werner is not rising it and not taking it apart.  No amount of strength can unstick it if it gets crusty in there.  Easily preventable though.  I would not use any lube on any part of the paddle.

paddlestandingup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »
Here is the info right from Werner's site FAQ.  I rented a board and paddle from a shop in SC last year.  Every one of their Werner Carve's were seized up.  So much for adjustable paddles...Of course they were all way too short.  So easy to prevent this. 

How do I care for my Adjustable Ferrule?
You can keep your Adjustable Ferrule System working at peak performance by following three simple steps:

Step 1. After every use take your paddle apart and rinse both sides inside and out with fresh water.

Step 2. Store your paddle hanging apart with blades up.

Step 3. NEVER use a lubricant on your ferrule! Our ferrules don't like lubricants but they love lots of water!

Click on this link for our instructional video on proper ferrule maintenance.

SUP-poser

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Island Paintings and Woodwork
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
Great information, thanks for the official word. Except for the "hang to dry" part pretty much what I've been doing.
Allwave 9'5"
Surftech 10' AST RF Generator
Werner (Carve?) 2 piece adjustable

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal