Author Topic: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction  (Read 208374 times)

Blane Chambers

Deck Pad Ultimate Traction
« on: August 30, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
One thing we noticed when surfing waves of consequence, super traction is the way to go.       There isn't a pad anywhere that is as grippy as this set up.   When laying into a turn at full maximum power there is ZERO slip.     What happens is the bottom of your feet and your toes mold into the cracks and crevices and it feels like you're strapped in.      Feels good even on your knees.    Its freaking insane...   Inspired originally by Chans nose I saw on one of her boards...    I already turned in my whole quiver and re did all my pads which is 5 boards so far.     

I actually got it down to which shapes go where for maximum traction.    Tighten it up where you stand to paddle most of the time and certain shapes where you dig your toes to rip turns... Once you figure it out, you can lay ALL YOUR WEIGHT INTO EVERY TURN.       To top it off, it's way easier to stand on going over waves etc.     

Tedious work but on all my boards I'll spend the time to do it.     It's by far the one, single best improvement I've ever done to any board without changing its design.       Hard to believe but true.      I will add, if you are not trying to turn as hard as you possibly can then this pad is not for you.   You're better off with a regular pad that takes a couple minutes to put on.    You don't need this much traction.      If you are a true, rail to rail surfer trying to gouge hard, explode lips, stretch out floaters etc, then take note of your foot placements for various turns.    Apply the pieces accordingly more spaced out where the key pressure points are.     Honestly, nothing comes close for insane traction.     

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:09:35 AM »
really like the use of positive and negative space for "gription"... the combination of slip and grip, differences of elevation between empty spaces and filled, and even the angled deflection at the edges of each piece when pressure is applied really ads to the synergy of creating more grip on the deck's surface.

though it's easy to see how it can be a bit more difficult to apply this type of deck pad configuration, doing so, you'll have a lot more control of the coverage than by laying down solid mats. conservation of material is key to this design and i believe that the weight reduction will be significant especially considering how much more area can be covered. the big bonus for you is that the logos are easily left exposed using this technique.

blane, i'm thinking that you might want to add this option to your product line. shipping the deck pads themselves would be greatly reduced and a variety of shapes and sizes would only be added flavor. while working with cork some time last year i cut out trapezoids (nothing new really, i've been doing it with skateboard grip for ages) which when assembled looked like a basketweave this is a more difficult level of execution but in the end it would be a real head turner. come to think about it there are some some old skateboard products called rip grip (foamy finger grip applied under the board) out there already that can serve the same purpose in a pinch. it even comes in funky bat shapes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 12:38:03 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 02:39:08 AM »
Blane, the same energized performance comes to the paddle when you apply reDeck windsurfer non skid deck traction to your paddle shaft. Never leave home without it!

My Shaka Pu'u is a Super Pu'u now.  :D

Now put that deck pad in production and make it standard on your boards  ;D

Thanks for the tip.

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
Nice pads blane.  Start cutting pcs for my next board please...LOL

Shawn

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »
Blane, can I send you all the  countless scraps we never tossed out?!

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
Shawn,
If Blane won't take it..........I will!...........Really!!!!!!

In fact, if anyone has scrap pads........I'll be glad to take it off your hands

Aloha..........Sam

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 03:47:52 AM »
Hey Blane.. You should bring out a deck pad with holes and squares cut into it all over and you could do two boards with it..  :D

One board with the holes and bits that came out and one board with all the holes and bits missing..  :D ..What do you reckon..  ;D

DJ

Blane Chambers

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:10:37 AM »
Haha!    Uhhhh anyway, here's a shot of a very stoked guy with his 9-3 Ripper super duper grip padded...

Bravo

• Rincon Status
  • bravellisphotography.com
    • View Profile
    • Brav Ellis Photography
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
Is there a normal tail pad on Sterlings' board?   Or is it cut up as well?

Blane Chambers

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
Is there a normal tail pad on Sterlings' board?   Or is it cut up as well?

Cut up as well.   Even the stomp pads from manufacturers cannot match the traction of the staggered squares, rectangles, triangles and asymetric shapes.   Not even close...     You don't need that tail kick stomp pads provide.   Your foot doesn't move once it's down.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's not for everyone.   Its only for people who prefer to surf with power.   People who are trying to push their turns as hard as they can or are surfing big waves where traction is crucial.   If you're just paddling around or surfing small waves gliding about, this is way to much traction...  It's not needed for cruising or flat, flip flap surfing.   Not good for beginners trying to figure out footing.   This is definetly an advanced stage pad meant for heavy ripping.

This turn here is nice.    Without a doubt, he would of been more laid out with more power if he had the staggered pad.    It is that much of a difference.   

Austin and I were talking the other day about all the sessions that would of been so much better had we figured this out sooner...   Oh well...    Live and learn...   That's what R&D is for...

Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

Blane Chambers

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:11:33 AM »
Blane, can I send you all the  countless scraps we never tossed out?!

Haha!   Nah, Sam sounds like he really wants it...   

Here's a perfect example of a turn I wish I had our new pad set up.     On rail but could of been way harder.   I could of had more speed coming into it then fully planted my feet,  re-directed with a lot more power...   When your feet have even a hint of slip, you give up a lot of power.   ZERO slip is where its at for real surfing...

Another situation where ultimate traction would of been nice...   Had to project down the line from way back and I clearly remember the feeling I had with my connection to the board.   If I had zero slip I would of felt soooo much better and been able to project out way quicker from turns to get down the line faster...   This wave beat the crap out of me.

All this time I have been surfing at 3/4 or so due to micro to average slippage.   I tried plenty different pads, modified pads, wax, wax on pads, different stomp pad brands etc, etc, etc...    This staggered thing is all I'm gonna run this winter...    Real Traction for Real Surfing   Ha ha!

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
Hey, I'm accumulating a lot of scrapes also, even some yellow and red if any one is interested. ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
Interesting Blane...great idea...looks cool too!

OK....who's doing the 1st mosaic?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 11:40:26 AM »
I have a TON of scraps from I used to sell cut-out pads.  I made a masonite template for making surfboard tail pads, for my 13 year old to make a little $$$ down at the beach.  

This is a great idea for the scraps, and VERY artistic. I suggest we call it the MOSAIC DECK PAD.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 11:44:01 AM »
Chan is the cause of all this!!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:06:05 PM by Blane Chambers »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal