Author Topic: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction  (Read 208387 times)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Deck Pad Ultimate Traction
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
My contribution to an old but favorite topic of mine.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 27, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
Now what would make anybody think this is a favorite subject or thread?
It's only been read over 94 thousand times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!

Another nice board!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:55:38 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #377 on: January 27, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »
Nice work.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:57 PM »
Hey guys,

Got a question for the experienced artists.

1) How do I cut out perfect triangles of pad? (I tried ordering triangle shaped titanium cookie cuters, hamering it into the pad to make an outline and then using an exacto knife to cut it out. Not perfect...)

Any feedback appreciated!
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2015, 07:25:04 PM »
Easiest way is to simply lay them out with a straight edge and mark it with chalk like a seamstress pen then just start cutting with an exacto. I like using the diamond grooved pad and making the cuts based on the diamonds...not equilateral triangles though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
Easiest way is to simply lay them out with a straight edge and mark it with chalk like a seamstress pen then just start cutting with an exacto. I like using the diamond grooved pad and making the cuts based on the diamonds...not equilateral triangles though.

Yeah but it would seem like using a straight edge over and over leaves too much room for error? how do you get perfect shaped triangles in equal size over and over without being an artist?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #381 on: March 06, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »
Geometry...60 deg angles. If you can draw a straight line with a ruler you can do it
Bob

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:39 PM »
Geometry...60 deg angles. If you can draw a straight line with a ruler you can do it

Does the straight edge ur talking about measure degrees?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »

how do you get perfect shaped triangles in equal size over and over without being an artist?
You can make a template out of 1/8" plywood with a jigsaw. File a sand the angles clean, press it firmly against the deck pad, and cut it with a sharp exacto blade. It helps to have a cutting mat under the pad when you cut it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
If you want to get a bunch done quickly it's much faster to take a little time and lay it out. Say you have a piece that is 28" square and you want a bunch of 2" triangles. Take a ruler and draw intersecting circles 28" in radius, draw lines from those corners to the intersection of the circles and you have an equilateral triangle with 28" sides. Mark lines at 2" on all three sides of the triangle and then start drawing lines between them all. Then just go over it with an xacto...that part goes quickly. It will look like the illustration below. You get 186 2" triangles out of it with very little waste (scraps are always good to have around) . The setup time is well worth it.

If you want more simply extend the lines out all the way to the edge and add the remaining lines to fill it in.

Also...its a little easier working and cutting from the bottom and you can use a sharpie for marking there.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:42:49 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
I want to customize my new board and think maybe the way to go is using the pad as the place to differentiate.   I have read through the posts and see that there are lots of options. 

What I have not read is how well the small pieces remain attached to the board?  Or do you need to have those small pieces away from the edges so as you remount the board they are not peeled off?   
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #386 on: March 07, 2015, 01:32:31 PM »
I've had very little peeling up of the small segments. That said I wouldn't go too thin. There are some designs here that are beautifully done but I think some won't last in heavy use. That's partly why I like doing the mosaics. You get the best grip from them and if a small piece does come loose I just replace it. I have a box of scraps from those that I've done and I always make more pieces than I use when I'm doing it because I want exact replacements if possible.
Bob

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 07, 2015, 04:40:19 PM »
Just got thru the 27 pages or so of this thread:  WOW!  Some beautiful work!!!!!  And a PERFECT winter time DIY! 

Gonna now have to read up now on methods to remove the original pad.  I've got a 11' NSP that's the perfect patient!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #388 on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
If you want to get a bunch done quickly it's much faster to take a little time and lay it out. Say you have a piece that is 28" square and you want a bunch of 2" triangles. Take a ruler and draw intersecting circles 28" in radius, draw lines from those corners to the intersection of the circles and you have an equilateral triangle with 28" sides. Mark lines at 2" on all three sides of the triangle and then start drawing lines between them all. Then just go over it with an xacto...that part goes quickly. It will look like the illustration below. You get 186 2" triangles out of it with very little waste (scraps are always good to have around) . The setup time is well worth it.

If you want more simply extend the lines out all the way to the edge and add the remaining lines to fill it in.

Also...its a little easier working and cutting from the bottom and you can use a sharpie for marking there.

Hey first of all thanks for the time u've put into explaining it. I really wanna get this and i've heard your a well respected mosaic'er. With that said this went pretty far over my head. What I did understand is cut out a 28 x 28" square of pad for starters. Could you pick up from there?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Not so sure what a well respected mosaic'er is but I'll take any compliments..... :)

OK...truthfully I don't usually go through all that anyway. I can cut equal angles (or close enough) by eye. I've been drawing lines and using x-actos with straightedges for a long time. But if you can't do that something even easier if you don't worry about the triangles being equilateral is to just cut it up into 2" squares and then cut them in half diagonally. You'll get 392 right triangles that are 2" x 2" x 2-13/16".

You also don't need to be absolutely perfect. I've tried to do my pads that I've done mosaics on in a pattern that will give the best grip and while I try for mirror images I don't get them exact. I don't actually like the pattern that I did on my 8' Vec for it's aesthetics...looks like a victorian church window to me but the grip is great. I'm going to be redoing my 14'er this spring and will be doing something more precise and artistic on that pad.

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal