Author Topic: What is this Move Called?  (Read 7503 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
What is this Move Called?
« on: April 03, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
Inspired by the “Whipping it back around” thread, specifically the Adriano Lima footage I noticed that while that Adriano is good, he pulls his paddle UP just before the critical plant and hold technique that is employed by Kai Lenny and Jamie Mitchell in the following sequences.

I just started to try this move and could only describe it as a “Front Side Plant Cutback.” ??  Since I am primarily goofy foot I was doing this in reverse to what Kia and Jamie are showing here.   The set up requires a ‘front side paddle, backside turn.’  It appears to involve slower speed because you truly pivot around the blade head which is planted, or stalled in the water.

When going left, then cutting back and hitting the white water the result is surprising and has the effect of tripling the kick that you get from hitting the face  e.g. board might go from a mere 45 degree rotation to 135 degree rotation.  Awesome!

PS: I have never seen anyone do this in person.  Like the olden days I am trying to learn this move by 'reading the magazine' or in this century watching it on-line.

Kai Lenny Video sequence, he does several of these starting @ 0:55: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUuXK2vSu5Y
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:59:19 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What is this Move Called?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
Jamie Mitchell shown here in Dave Kalama - Stand Up Travelling - Episode 03 "Fiji Perfection" from Vimeo.

Jamie Mitchell video here:  Start @ 2:55:

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »
great screen grabs.. something to inspire us  :)

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
 i used to do lots of WW kayaking, and that was called the cross-draw stroke, good for cranking turns across eddy lines or spinning the boat through gates.  in the sup world i don't know if it has a special name but it is a cool and useful move, especially on a wave face.  you can follow up this move with a quick hand switch where you basically just leaves the paddle planted, very clean and stylish if you do it right.  work in progress for me!

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
Its just called "The Move"...

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:46:52 PM »
... but it was never broadcast until Beasho let EVERYONE know.

http://seinfeld.wikia.com/wiki/The_Move

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
Dave Boehne used this almost every wave at the Surftech Shootout since he's a goofy footer at the lane.

He's a paddle jedi though too.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 01:55:45 AM »
Jamie M's sup technique is improving  ;D.  It's not a slashing photogenic
paddle move but it is effective and easy to do as you don't have to switch
your hands.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 02:44:20 AM »
THE MOVE has become a lot more common. I've watched Kalama do that for years, he ws doing it at the harbor a couple of days ago. Makes me crazy. I've tried to do it and I just get confused and wind up tripping over my own paddle.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jonysan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »
Definitely looks cool, and also the quick paddle transfer sometimes after the Move.., unless the rider is then going into a carving cutback when In the case of the Kai photos he'd probably not transfer the paddle but "unwind" and lightly drag the blade on the inside of the carving cutback.      I think!
Theory ---- maybe we are looking at the Move, and just the paddle and not the dynamics, in the Kai photos he rides backside with the paddle closest to the wave, to initiate the turn/cutback he throws his left shoulder forewards and round to the beach, his right shoulder comes back round towards the wave, so his upper body/shoulders have turned clockwise, sometimes to the point where his chest is facing back towards the tail of the board, this has the effect of "coiling" up the torso, "think twisted torsion bar" and this initates the snappy cutback,  exactly as a prone surfer would ,   the paddle is not necessary !

except to lightly drag in the water to tighten the turn, or plant to create a pivot point.

any usual forward paddling at the point when the paddle enters the water would have the opposite effect and open the turn .

jonysan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »
In the Adriano Lima / Brazil video and stills on the "whipping it back around" thread, you can see that the paddle blade often doesn't touch the water during the Move, but the cutback is just as rapid, if not as tight as the Kai example,       either way it looks good !!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »
I can anticipate some face plants trying that out for sure.....there are some laws I need to worry about....Newton's 1st.... ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:08:50 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:04 AM »
Now the Aussies are using The Move.

If Kai had held it a little longer he too might have 360'd.

Video here: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=20003.0

PS: Love the proners being forced to watch from the shoulder.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:59:34 AM by Beasho »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
Question: How small does the board have to be to pull this move?  Do I have hope on my 9'10"?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 10:16:18 AM »
Dave was doing it on an Imagine 11 foot thingy. I know, I know, that doesn't mean much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal