Author Topic: Dana Point in a day  (Read 6220 times)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dana Point in a day
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »
My wife will be in Irvine on business and I get to come out for a Fri-Sunday coming up here in the 2nd weekend of April.  I am hopeful that I can have an awesome California experience on Saturday.  I have a good start: Dave B at Infinity has a Phoenix 7'6 set aside for me and will point me in the right direction for surf, if it is to be had.  Outside of that I would love suggestions.  I enjoy sushi, great breakfast burritos and tasty waves.

I am fired up to get a chance to experience what the simmons hype is all about !
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dana Point in a day
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
Local stuff...

Brekkie:  Stacks. About 1/2 mile south of infinity on same side of street. Very local.  Very low key.

Dive breakfast burrito at A's Burger. Just further south on PCH on other side of street from infinity.

Mahe for sushi or teppan. Great bar. Some local douches upon occasion, but great food. Rt near harbor.

Bar at the Ritz Carlton is super cool.... Great view, right above the surf at salt creek. Outside patio area bar too... Amazing atmosphere.

Baby beach in the harbor is a great flat water scene.

Hiking around the headland is fun and romantic... There's a cave!  :))

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 05:53:42 PM »
Thanks!  The hike is a bonus treat!
Blkbox Surf

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 07:59:11 PM »
I always enjoy Turks in the DP harbor.  It's an old school and rather outdated sort of place, but in a good way.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »
All good stuff above - you may need more time.  I'll send you my list that I provide to our guests.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
Don't forget the p'Zone at the Dana Point Pizza Hut.  ;)
Taller than most, shorter than others.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Of course, SoCal food is really about the Taco Cart ('Carretilla de Taco'). For something a step up from the proverbial taco cart, Ricardo's in San Juan Capistrano, El Patio in Capo Beach, La Siesta in San Clemente are all good. For another two steps up there is 'El Torito in the Dana Point Harbor. A quantum leap $$$ above those is Los Brisas in Laguna Beach. Actually, the best authentic 'taco cart food' is inside the Buena Vista Market and/or the Marina Ranch Market both in Dana Point. No habla espanol? No problema mi amigo.  Mexican food only goes with beer (cerveza's, chip & salsa, and fish tacos!). Modelo especial or Pacifico are my picks. Hope for a swell......   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPCHLU

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
+1 for La Siesta in San Clemente (SC)....can't beat the food or prices.

If you do happen to find yourself in SC, and a little "Inauthentic Mexican" is to your liking, the Ahi Tacos at "Beach Fire" on Del Mar are incredible.....the Duck Taco or the "Exotic Meat (Alligator, Rattlesnake, Caribou, Kangaroo...) Of The Day" tacos are fun and tasty possibilites at "Bull Taco" on El Camino.....and the Carnitas Nachos at "Hapa J's" also on El Camino are a meal in themselves (actually a meal for 2 or more), their $13 price for the huge plate full, and $3 Happy Hour drafts are hard to beat.

The breakfasts at "Pipes" across from Stewart's Surfboards are delicious, plentiful, and quite a bargin.....the "Uppers" (Steak and eggs with caramelized onions and melted pepper jack cheese on your choice of bagel) for about $5 at the "Bagel Shack" is a great, and portable morning starter before an early SUS session somewhere.

Let us know exactly when and where you're going, and I'm sure that besides the Phoenix, you'll find a few more fun rides available out there for you to try when you're here.

Should be in for lots of fun while you're in town.....

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:53:50 PM by SUPCHLU »

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
Thanks very much!  Looks like I can plan on packing an extra 10 lbs back in great food!  I will post up as we get closer to the date - April 13.  I could not get a day off of work but since my wife is in CA for two weeks we decided I would come out from MI for just the weekend.  Unfortunately, she will not be inclined to take the great food and surf tips and do much with them so I am in charge of Saturday.  Thanks again!
Blkbox Surf

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Thanks very much!  Looks like I can plan on packing an extra 10 lbs back in great food!  I will post up as we get closer to the date - April 13.  I could not get a day off of work but since my wife is in CA for two weeks we decided I would come out from MI for just the weekend.  Unfortunately, she will not be inclined to take the great food and surf tips and do much with them so I am in charge of Saturday.  Thanks again!

Cool! Now let's pray for surf!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:28:08 AM »
One week from today and it will be dawn patrol in SoCal for me, although I won't make it out at dawn cause I'll have to stop into the Inifinity shop and check in and pick up a board, etc, etc.  I am stoked.  Michigan is too.  Just to make sure I don't forget what the Great Lakes have given me my home break has mustered up the best weather conditions of the year for me and I anticipate this afternoon's conditions to combine for shoulder to head high, clean offshore waves.  It might even be crowded, with 4-6 other people there.

So in a week I'll be totally kookin out, trying not to walk around with a big dumb smile.

Let me ask a tip on wetsuit wear, please....

I have an Isurus I-soldier 4/5/4...too warm

I have an O'neil 3/2...almost just right?

I have a pair of NRS 1 mil pants or 1 mil shorts and a thermal rash guard...best?

Should I even bring boots, gloves or...please no...a removable hood?

Thanks!
Blkbox Surf

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 07:16:23 AM »
You won't need the 4/5/4, the gloves or the hood.  The water temp. is warming up.  You probably won't need boots, unless you need them for foot protection, because you don't get to go barefoot as often as SoCal folks.
We do get some spring breezes, so a wet rash guard might not be a good idea. 

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 07:30:44 AM »
This morning air temp 57 deg. Water 60 deg. Later the it will be sunny and 70's. We have a swell right now. The bigger 4 to 5' sets were a little walled yesterday. Peaky inside stuff. Take a look for your self any time.  http://san-clemente.org/cameras/hqcamera.aspx

Like HB said, leave anything above a 3/2 at home. I don't think they even sell them around here? Ha Ha... I typically were a 3/2 spring suit during a swell were I'm likely going to take an occasional hold down. That's when you feel the water temp. I wear boots/reef shoes mainly for walking across the rocks at SanO during low tide. If the sun comes out and the surf is clean, I'll trunk it, with a rash guard. Never tried 1 mil pants. They sound kind of interesting. My start a new look....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
This morning air temp 57 deg. Water 60 deg. Later the it will be sunny and 70's. We have a swell right now. The bigger 4 to 5' sets were a little walled yesterday. Peaky inside stuff. Take a look for your self any time.  http://san-clemente.org/cameras/hqcamera.aspx

Like HB said, leave anything above a 3/2 at home. I don't think they even sell them around here? Ha Ha... I typically were a 3/2 spring suit during a swell were I'm likely going to take an occasional hold down. That's when you feel the water temp. I wear boots/reef shoes mainly for walking across the rocks at SanO during low tide. If the sun comes out and the surf is clean, I'll trunk it, with a rash guard. Never tried 1 mil pants. They sound kind of interesting. My start a new look....

Sounds like code for keep the kooky 1 mils pants at home!  They are actually quite functional for later spring sessions here when the air is 60 & 70 and the water is still 40.

Thanks for the weather reports and the cam link!

Blkbox Surf

Fark

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Wow!!!!  Shoulder to head high?  We've only got wind blown ripples down here.  Enjoy!!!!

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal