Author Topic: SUP good or bad for knees  (Read 23565 times)

Beachboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP good or bad for knees
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »
Been told I need a new knee but been advised to stay away from the knife as long as possible, I love my SUP, mainly flat water Racing & occasional surf.
My question, is SUP bad for the knee & am I speeding up its demise .

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP good or bad for knees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
IT is AMAZING for your knee.  I had a pretty severe MCL strain a few years ago... at the pre-surgery consult, the Dr. asked me exactly what I was doing for lower body fitness... he was sure that I was doing some sort of crazy yoga.  When I told him what I was doing (SUP) he basically said... keep doing it... as soon as your knee gets better...

He was amazed at what SUP did to that specific area of the body.

OF COURSE, consult your doctor... I only play one in sex fantasies and such.

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:17 PM »
Same reason I got into SUP. I'm 50 and have bad knees from years abuse. Taught and raced skis for years. BMX, Skateboarding in pools, and a life of construction finished them off. Can't mtb, or run any distance without swollen knees. Even swimming laps hurts my knees from the torque. Using a swim buoy helps.  I can paddle all day without a problem. In fact, I'm in better shape than I been in 20 years. I get knee strengthening, without getting into a deep bend, and no impact. I've been paddling for a little over 5 years now, and it's the best...... Love it.  
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:30:21 AM »
Plus 1. My bad knee has actually been getting better. I think it's all the paddling I've been doing. I've been doing SUP for a long time now, and I thought my torn meniscus might have been caused by SUP, but my doc says no--it's arthritis you old fart. I had the repair, and was doing okay, but not great. Got a cortisone shot and started hitting it harder, and my knee is working really well--knock on wood.

In general I'd say you just can't beat the conditioning from SUP. I actually have abs for the first time in my life. Yeah, they have a nice layer of blubber over them, but they're so prominent that they're visible all the same.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »
Three summers paddling on flat water now. Last two years, this one especially are the first in many my knees do not ache and hurt when riding the ski lift. I attribute it to paddling. Tried glucosamine for a few years and never really noticed a thing with it and quit taking it a few years ago. There are a few supplements I take that I didn't used to take but nothing specifically for joints and I still credit the paddling.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 04:45:06 AM »
Beachboy... welcome! Good question to jump in with.

I agree with all of the above... everything works better if the large and small muscles the support it are toned and stretched regularly.

Add "Primal" to the mix and you have a great recipe for success.
Under "Training, Diet and Fitness"... "How are you getting Primal?"

Primal really shows the healing potential of the human body when we give it the right fuel and remove the crap from our system.
"Mark's Daily Apple" is a good start. Read the "testimonials" to get a sense of the healing power of proper food. My recent successes are documented in the last few pages of the "primal" thread here.

Research what "supplements" create good "Knee and joint" health... then find out what foods contain the right minerals and vitamins... then eat yourself towards  stronger knees.

soapbox over ;)

Beachboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
Many thaks for all the positive replies, really didn't fancy giving up on the sport I love.

Will definately look into all avenues to aid recovery & keep me on the water :)

Surfershane

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
I need to show this thread to a mate who destroyed his knee kickboxing.  My suspicion has always been SUP would be beneficial due the low impact exersise of major and minor muscles supporting the knee.  I also feel doing so would help prevent further injury especially due improved balance and integrity.   ???

kneecap

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Re: SUP good or bad for knees
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
SUP is way better for your knee than a lot of things that's for sure!   After all my knee surgeries, therapists spend a ton of time working on proprioception, which was usually putting my leg in a low impact, unstable environment in order to make all the small muscles around my knee fire. Not one of the exercises was anywhere near as good as a half hour on a stand up.

As primarily one who surfs on a stand up, being able to lean into the paddle through turns takes a ton of stress of the knee. I used to spend the afternoon icing my knee after surfing and only going out on the best days. Now I go out as much as possible with very few flare-ups.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 04:57:35 AM »
kneecap... sounds like you might get all your SUP equipment to qualify as necessary medical rehap equipment... all covered under your insurance. ;)

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:05:47 AM »
Been told I need a new knee but been advised to stay away from the knife as long as possible, I love my SUP, mainly flat water Racing & occasional surf.
My question, is SUP bad for the knee & am I speeding up its demise .

Hi Beachboy

Why is you knee in need of replacement? Is exercise via sup making you feel and function better? If so, definitely postpone surgery for as long as possible via an informed decision with your doctor/pt.

If surgery is inevitable, it's strongly recommended to work pre-op in strengthening, range of motion, proprioception and cardiovascular endurance, not only the inmediate knee, but all the elements associated with the lower extremity chain of motion. Feet, knee, hip and core. Sounds very sup-like? It is. 

Pre-habilitation, in case of surgery, will get you out of the post op doldrums quickly. Proven in many cases with simple exercise routines, just imagine how much more beneficial it would be if the exercise are as complete as the stimulus provided via sup paddling.

The examples cited by fellow zoners exemplify the benefits of sup in different knee ailments. And as also cited, it may even be more effective as rehab compared to the proprioceptive exercises prescribed in a rehab clinic: as paddler, you'll comply to an exercise prescription better if it's on the sup !

The infinite combinations of exercise for the lower extremity chain and core laid out by sup paddling, specially in rougher waters and surfing are very difficult to replicate in any controlled clinical scenario. There may be more benefits than meets the eye, for sure.

Of course, can't leave aside nutrition, rest and recovery. Those elements are essential in the mix of things.

As pt, from the day i set my feet on an sup, i discovered an unbeatable means of having fun, working out and rehabilitation. The first patient to test it benefits, was me. After years of triathlon, specifically, running distances,(not the same trauma running distances fresh than running them after cycling) my knees were a creaking, weak, stiff and aching mess. I knew i was on my way to knee replacement. A couple of years into sup, and i was already much better. My knees still creak, but, i can full squat, lunge, climb stairs and function normally in my daily life.

Be well

Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Beachboy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
balance_fit

Knee in need of replacement due to stage 4 arthritis throughout the knee.
I do feel that the knee has worsened since I have eased up on Supping post OP, figure there is nothing to be lost in continuing easing back into it, will report back on progress.

Many thanks to all on your comments & encouragement  :)

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
e Beachboy,I asked myself the same exact question,although I did not need a replacement,but I did have years ago arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus from surfing.The surgeon actually removes torn cartilage,thereby reducing the amount of cartilage you have left.Without cartilage,it's bone on bone,Anything that wears out the cartilage,not good. I was doing some standup surfing,and paddling in very unstable conditions,and noticed my knee actually getting WORSE,very stiff for the rest of that day and the following day,having to ice it.So I gave up trying to surf with the stand up board,and instead use them only for  paddling on flat water,using a little wider stance,so I still get benefits from the unstable workout,but not as much stress as surfing it.Just regular surfboards.I haven't had any more issues with my knee,so you should be okay with the flat water paddling you are doing.The standup board also makes a great vehicle to paddle out to the distant reef breaks with my surfboard in tow.
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

paidmydues

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »
I forgot to add,have you tried oc-1?so much fun,no wear on the knees. ;)
hawawa ka he'e nalu,haki ka papa

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
I have a knee that has been bone-on-bone for a couple of years now. It was rebuilt in the early '80's (tore both ligaments and some cartilage) then staph infection after the surgery (didn't help). Anyway SUP is NOT great for a knee like mine as the motion of the board causes the joint to move as there is a lot of slop in the joint. Yes the muscle in the surrounding area is better from dealing with the boards motion but the joint moves regardless. I have a fancy knee brace that I use and it helps a bit but it's near impossible to prevent all the unwanted motion when the cartilage is gone.
Does it stop me from paddling? No but it certainly affects my ability to balance on narrower boards as I am a "one-legged paddler" as you certainly favor the good side.

Should you quit? I can only say I have not as the end game, for me,  is when I can't sleep at night because of knee pain. I am not there yet so I have no reason to stop doing what I love. I think the BEST way to extend the life of your joints is to lose weight if you are carrying some extra luggage. What really stresses my knee is when I carry heavy items around or am doing physical labor that involves heavy lifting.

I might add that the decision to get your knee replaced is not easy. Having an artificial joint implanted does not come with a guarantee. Surgery is never a sure thing and the life of the new joint can be a fuzzy number. I have taken the position of living with what I have until I have pain I cannot live with and that I don't wear the joint to the point were replacing it becomes complicated or worse. Plus I am betting that the technology of artificial joints gets better the longer I can wait.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal