Author Topic: SUP good or bad for knees  (Read 23571 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP good or bad for knees
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
+1 for what Starman said. Wow, something we could actually agree on. I'm a one legged paddler too. Less than 40 pounds on my left foot standing at rest. You can see the effect in my slippahs. Right thin, left new. Don't let it stop you but keep an eye on it. I got a cortizone shot last fall that seems to be still working. My "slow start" problem has lessened. What happened? No idea. Maybe all that surfing and downwinding is helping, or maybe it's just piling up stuff ready to blow like a volcano.

At any rate, there's probably a titanium knee in my future, but I'll hold off until my random screams start scaring the dog. The tech will improve.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: SUP good or bad for knees
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »
Similar story.  51 year old, ex ski racer.  5 knee surgeries now and almost had the replacement a few years ago, but resurrected my knee by a return to bicycle racing the last few years.  I'm pretty new to SUP, but so far have been pretty pain free paddling.  I did give up windsurfing - the stiff epoxy board slapping the water was really painful at times.
Things were going pretty good for the old knee until I compound fractured my tib/fib on that leg a couple months ago, resulting in a rod being inserted through my knee down my tibia. 
My previous philosophy was to wait as long as possible until the technology improved to get my knee replaced, but after the latest trauma I don't think I'll hesitate if I start having problems again.

VistaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
Don't know where you are located, but for an informed opinion I would go to the Stone Clinic in San Francisco.  Dr. Kevin Stone runs the clinic, specializes in knees and shoulders, and is an avid windsurfer.  He has also won an international knee surgeons award twice and specializes in getting people back to activity as quickly as possible with as little surgery as possibe.  He has also been working on ways to re-grow meniscus, and re-habilitative techniques to try to avoid artificial knee-replacements.  The clinic has two typical types of patients: older weekend warrior types and competitive top-level athletes (e.g., U.S. Ski Team, Martina Navratilova).  He rebuilt my mother's knees after she was struck by a car (while a pedestrian in a cross-walk) - she had massive damage in both knees including a torn PCL and well as torn lateral ligaments.  A few years after surgery and physical therapy she sailed single handed around Cape Horn
12'6" Ron House Coastal Cruiser
10' Red Paddle Surfer
10' Creed Kai

Having Fun

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »
Wow, the Stone Clinic sounds great.

I have had 5 knee surgeries.  No ACL in either knee, no MCL in left, No meniscus in left, and 50% gone in right.  I have zero pain paddling long, short, hard, and easy on my 14' board in the ocean. Love it.  With proper form it will not hurt you knees.

Also ride bikes to help and windsurf (Formula, Slalom) but no more wave jumping.  And race big boats off shore.

Keep your body fat low and fitness up and eat the proper foods. And sounds like if that does not works visit Stone Clinic or the like.  Just don't stop staying fit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
My update to the above--the dog has gone deaf, so I guess it will be a while before I do anything drastic.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
never had any issues with my one bad knee until I started SUPing an 8 ft board earlier this summer.  After long sessions, my knee cap would hurt.  Not sure if it is due to the balancing act the 8 ft sometimes requires in chop, but didn't like how I felt the next day. Last week I went back to my 9 ft Fusion for 7 days straight of surf and it improved.

I also need to wear my knee brace for extra long paddles i.e Cape Cod Bay Challenge.  Standing for so long in one spot also hurts my knee cap and the brace helps a lot.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SUPinside

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »
ditto to much of above comments.. and for me that goes for all joints (core thru legs).. combo of SUP and SUP inspired balance training has conditioned my stabilizing muscles to best point since youth..providing support to deal reasonably well with results of torn labrum in hip, rebuilt patella tendon, fractured L1 & L2, horrible ankles....bla bla
..big believer in SUP and balance training in general as prehab / preventive maintenance..

paddleaddict

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
I had knee pain and a bit of swelling after paddling early this season, and after a visit to my orthopod, learned it was due to weak hip abductors. So, after PT to strengthen my abductors, and 3 Euflexxa shots in the knee, I'm improving. That said, SUP'ing did NOT cause the knee trouble, but paddling in rough conditions on a narrow race board aggravated it while the muscles were still weak. So, I switched to a more stable board, allowing a wider stance, which gave me a lot of relief.

Now that my abductors are stronger, I feel much better and can get back on a narrower board. I agree that paddling helps strengthen the supporting knee muscles, but if there is a preexisting injury or weakness, it may be necessary to make some modifications (re: board or water conditions) until the knee regains proper function.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 04:17:26 AM »
I get more knee probs SUPing than when I did prone surfing.....but luckily it isn't often. It is all about conditioning and getting the stance balanced and not over doing it...just like any other sport.

The smaller the SUP the more it is going to work those knees and legs.....so if you want to take it easy treat yourself to a stable SUP and work from there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal