Author Topic: Quad/Thruster fins for my Naish 7'3" on Maui?  (Read 3417 times)

Niklas DR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Quad/Thruster fins for my Naish 7'3" on Maui?
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:23:58 PM »
Hi,

I brought my Naish 7'3" to Maui this year but forgot my fins. What fins and where to get them would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Okay, I might as well put some more info here at once. I'm 5'10/178cm and 167lbs/76kg. The board has been too small for me with a full on hooded 6/5/4 wetsuit and below freezing but I guess it'll be alright here with surfshorts. I'll use the board first in waist-high. Only if I can handle it I'll try larger.

Niklas

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quad/Thruster fins for my Naish 7'3" on Maui?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Niklas,

That sure seems like a sweet problem you've got there!  Hope you get it solved quickly and post some pics!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
Hi,

I brought my Naish 7'3" to Maui this year but forgot my fins. What fins and where to get them would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Okay, I might as well put some more info here at once. I'm 5'10/178cm and 167lbs/76kg. The board has been too small for me with a full on hooded 6/5/4 wetsuit and below freezing but I guess it'll be alright here with surfshorts. I'll use the board first in waist-high. Only if I can handle it I'll try larger.

Niklas

Any FCS you fancy should be good. If you want original fins there is a Naish store in Kahului.

Probably easier in the morning when it is glassy.

If you want some other fins, depending on when you go out, you could get some slightly bigger fins. Would give you a bit more traction. It really depends on how you like to ride. I tend to like the loose feel.
I have the 7'8'' and can ride it at 200 lb.

I have tried them with halfmoon fins too...wasn't my favourite.

Niklas DR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Thanks for your answers!

What store do you think has some good fins for okay prices. Like you say, it's nice to be able to try out fins but how much will a set typically cost, just as a benchmark? Are there specific names for type and size of fins that you'd recommend? I don't want to be in the store contemplating too much, or be too much in the oblivion when at a store and a salesperson recommends something for me :)

Thanks again!

Niklas

Niklas DR

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 04:38:54 AM »
Hi again,

Here's an update of how the Naish Hokua 7'3 worked out for me. It was too small, it turned out, even without a wetsuit for my 165 lbs it was too unstable to be a good allround board to be able to go out and pick normal waves on Maui's North shore. I have now instead got a Naish Hokua 7'6 which is one-and-a-half inches wider and ten liters larger; the volume is also paved out a lot more as it is thinner (4 5/16 inches thick against 4 5/8 inches) which makes it less like standing and balancing on a ball in the water.

Niklas

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:52:22 PM »
Thanks for your answers!

What store do you think has some good fins for okay prices. Like you say, it's nice to be able to try out fins but how much will a set typically cost, just as a benchmark? Are there specific names for type and size of fins that you'd recommend? I don't want to be in the store contemplating too much, or be too much in the oblivion when at a store and a salesperson recommends something for me :)

Thanks again!

Niklas

it can cost anywhere from $20 to $150.

It really depends on your preferences.

If you are on a budget, there are fins on ebay for a reasonable price...they are decent strength...and I have not had much big problems with them..they usually are "inspired" by other fins..never used them on regular surfboards...
Look for edgecore ...just get some m7 or m5?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal