Author Topic: The Simmons inspired SUP progression... Where do we go from here?  (Read 50674 times)

Supmmm

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Simmons inspired SUP progression... Where do we go from here?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:03 PM »
Perhaps we also need to look at the type of riding one wants to get out of a particular session and apply that to the board progression discussion.  
I got into SUP as my once or twice a year surf trips had me on a constant re-learning curve every time I got in the water. SUP is something that I can also do on flat water and I find once I'm back in the waves it's much easier to pick up and go.
Having said that I continue to push myself to get as close as possible to the flowing slashing riding style of shortboard surfers. SUP with the paddle to me does somewhat change how one rides, keeping the rider more upright leaning on the paddle rather than fully committing to a turn with all of ones body weight.

I look to videos as my winter inspiration, my current fave follows. I have no wish to pop 360's but the flowing lines these guys put down are where I want my SUP riding to be one day.

Shortboard shapes that get me there are were I want the progression to go. I feel that the paddle will just have to come for the ride with the odd strategically placed plant in order to keep things flowing.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »
Talked to my Assym shaper today... went to the bank on the way home from court and grabbed some cash... nice incentive... "Hey shaper, how is it coming... I decided that I want to pay you in cash... no, I don't need a discount..."

The AssymRetro (I will call  it the TimASSup) is looking good.  I understand that he is taking some time with it and getting the dim's dialed and the CNC worked out so that he does not have to hand shape from the blank in the future... on an Assym, that is a PAIN.

I totally agree Supmmm.   The whole point for me of this board is when I am in a TimSUP mood... but am riding bigger, quicker waves and need the slightly faster reaction time, and want to throw a full raid carve and not be sliding fin free down the face instead.

For the masses, however, (hope that didn't sound sh*tty), I am thinking that if this Assym Retro (aka TimASSup) works like I think it will, an entire quiver could be covered with at Simmons inspired shape, plus a modified Simmons (TimASSup)

Funny, I picked up Mach Bobby Roger from the Dr. Today... and could not get out of my mind how RIDICULOUSLY amazing that board would have surfed the waves of the last weekend... We humans are never satisfied.  The Mach Bobby Roger is going into a hermetically sealed case... only to come out when the waves are appropriate for this scalpel.  Gawd that board is light... hence the constant trips to Molly Logan!

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 11:13:32 PM »
Giant,
 I can't wait to see it!

I was wrong on my volume for the stepup TimASSup, it is 105, not 110.

Tall Dude, Holy Cow!  So THAT is where all my money went... I am going to have to look into that R&D Tax credit.  :) 

Discobay, it seems to me that an ASSYM is calling your name... what is old is new again!

Fishman and Creek, re:  the chop of the nose:  I have thought about doing that quite a few times... massive reduction in swing weight... and what do you lose?  As long as you are not charging windblown monsters AND don't care about nose riding... what the hell use is the nose?

Onward!

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
Supstoked, sorry 'bout the wallet carnage.

SL

Fishman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
I like to go back through the "Believe the hype" thread,  i get the this one post and bust up laughing ever time. And just thinking about the quote randomly during the day continues to cracks me up.

"Larry,

i will let u guys do all of the experimenting with this simmons stuff and enjoy the fruits of y'all's labor in six months or so.  

be well amigo.

SL "

:D :D :D Got to love that Strand Leper!! and his TimSUP and the TimASSUP!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:13:42 PM by Fishman »
SupSurfMachine 9'9" longboard
SupSurfMachine  8'2" funboard

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
Fishman,

You are such a smarty pants...

I meant to type six WEEKS DAYS not six MONTHS... it was just a typo.

SL

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »
SL, no need to explain - we all knew from the outset that it must be a typo ;D

GB

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2013, 04:10:50 PM »
I agree with Tim in that the sim sups are too wide in the tail for anything over chest high although my sim sup is a lot bigger and wider than Tims which I'm sure narrows its range even more.

I'm not sure asys are as nichee a board as someone said, but of course this is all very personal stuff based on individual style and conditions, etc. I used to surf an Angulo asy sailboard (can opener) on Maui in all kinds of stuff from knee to mast high and loved it. One of the things that made asy sailboards so awesome in the surf was when doing cutbacks because anyone thats windsurfed in waves knows that cutbacks on sailboards/windsurfers is weird because the wind hitting the sail fights you. Its different for sups of course (i.e. no sail!) but all that overall width and tail width needed for us to stand up paddle a sup without doing the hula the whole time totally gets in the way of doing the kind of maneuvers we are accustomed to doing on surfboards...and I want to be able to do that stuff. So I think an asy sup with a drawn in outline into a rounded pin tail on the frontside rail coupled with a fuller outline and a diamond tail on the backside rail could make for a great all around sup wave board. Well, at least that is what I've been thinking of lately.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:20:47 PM by magentawave »
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »
Most of you may have seen this but this is one of the few examples I've seen of someone that kills it on a sup that isn't getting in his way when he surfs, and THAT is the key...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 04:47:15 PM by magentawave »

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
It always irritates me when people ask me 'so, do you ever surf any more? or just sup?'  I always say, 'what's the difference?'
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 08:23:16 PM »
I agree but  most people think sup is limited to paddling a huge board on flat water instead of surfing.

It always irritates me when people ask me 'so, do you ever surf any more? or just sup?'  I always say, 'what's the difference?'

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »

Funny, I tell people I stopped surfing a few years ago. :)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:32 PM »
Surfing is like a heartbeat, you go up and down on the face.  The SUS I've seen around here in the flesh  and in some of the pics in Standup Journal sure don't look like a flatline.  I feel like I'm learning all over again... and love it.

As to the Simmons deal, I love the speed.  Speed is king.  Watch what Andino's kid is doing in the prone contests.  He's amazing... the new Terry Fitzgerald.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2013, 03:58:09 PM »
Speed is indeed king.

Very small at dawn.  Surfed for a little over four hours.  Recharging now and paddling back out soon.. That appellate brief is what weekday evenings are for. (I can heat the sound of procrastination...)

Was surfing calf to waist high waves.

A few almost chesties.

Takeoff section, race over the reef to a bowl, then a shoulder or no shoulder...

By the end of the morning I am just jamming full rail turns in the bowl, seemingly at will.

The only waves upon which I felt kooky were the ones with ill advised noe rides...

The thin rails and sharp edges on this board make it magical.  I am starting to feel where the limit is on carving this board but I am not there yet. Just racing, burying, playing.

I paddled two boards out and anchored one with a self made SUP anchor. Put some water and a few primal bars in the Fannie pack on the anchored board.

Rode the Mach twin too. Too small for the Mach twin to be any fun.  Yep, I said it. Corran's TImSUP aka Retro is more fun than the Mach Twin in micro surf.

Waves were tiny... And my surf curfew of 11 seemed to arrive at light speed after I paddled out at first light. One of my neighbors paddles out at nine ish... "Dude, you were out when I was walking my dog, you're still out, and you will be out after I leave..."  Me:  "Yep."

The boards that will generally be in the car henceforth:  Mach bobby roger, corran TimSUP (aka f'ing Retro)
Bessel 6'8" prone, Corran Mach 1.

More later. I am going to go surf again.

Sl

supstoked

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »
STRAND LEPER:  What is your current fin set-up?  Still using the keel fins?
Lots of foil boards 6’7”-7’4”, L41 TVD’s and Jimmy Lewis Strikers..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal