Author Topic: The Simmons inspired SUP progression... Where do we go from here?  (Read 50908 times)

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Simmons inspired SUP progression... Where do we go from here?
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
Nice V4 Giant, what did you decide on the fins?  I wonder how a double GT heel-side with a single Phoenix half moon, toe-side would work. (Lovin' my Phoenix twins)

Looking forward to proud papa pics.

Actually, I ordered a Future quad set but adage from Infinity demanded I use pro-box fins. I'm gonna trust his input. Fingers crossed!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2013, 09:19:14 PM »
Nice V4 Giant, what did you decide on the fins?  I wonder how a double GT heel-side with a single Phoenix half moon, toe-side would work. (Lovin' my Phoenix twins)

Actually, I ordered a Future quad set but adage from Infinity demanded I use pro-box fins. I'm gonna trust his input. Fingers crossed!

I am stoked when people get it. Don't worry my friend you are in good hands with the Infinity gang.
Allison Race Fins

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »
Oh man that things is gonna be fun! Besides the tail, is the outline as radically different on each side as the V4 shown on their website?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2013, 09:22:17 AM »

I am stoked when people get it. Don't worry my friend you are in good hands with the Infinity gang.

Meant to say Dave from Infinity. I expect he'll set me up with the set up you described. :)
Taller than most, shorter than others.

endlessfight

« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »
well, it came. i am stoked. what a beauty. it's a L41 S4 7'10" x 29.5" x 4 1/2" - 115L - i'm about 185 lbs. i am riding this thing on a lake (fresh water) so i didn't want to go too small in fear it won't float! floats me decently tho, water coming over the deck and a bit tippy but nothing i can't handle. everything is pretty standard on it but i got S glass instead of E cause i tend to be a little hard on my boards ;)  

took it out for a test run the other night in some 2 ft mushy slop which is pretty typical here and it was really fun. a few things i noticed about it; it's fast. very fast. i also noticed i had to stand up further towards the nose then you'd think. for the first few waves i kept slipping right off the back and shooting the board out cause i wouldn't be forward enough. once you're on the wave and driving down the line the thing speed pumps like a madman. really easy to carry your speed and really loose feeling; i can tell where the "skateboard like" feel comes in to play.

overall really stoked on finally having a board that is going to be my go-too and something i'll have for longer then a year. it's gonna take a me a few sessions to get it dialed but i know this thing is going to take my riding to the next level not being restricted by size or weight as much as my other board was. oh yah, this thing weighs like 15 lbs with fins and my deck pad. i was really surprised at the weight of it; but it's what i wanted. here's a few pics. went with a x-trak/seadeck pad, and did a double stomp pad (stole the idea from Boludo, thanks man!)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:48:53 AM by endlessfight »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2013, 10:39:27 AM »
Hey congratulations! It looks like a sweet board. Probably way too small for my 200 pounds but I would LOVE to try it. As you get it dialed in don't be afraid to swap out the front Controllers for different fins because you just might like it even better.

endlessfight

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
^ i was wondering about that; i have some jamie mitchell quad futures sitting around i could pop in but didn't know how they would work on this shape as i really don't know squat about fins. gonna rock these controllers for a bit for sure. the jm's will probably be looser im assuming?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »
Just got mine as well and out in the water today for the first time - L41 S4 7'10x31x4 5/8x127L with carbon rails & E-glass; with pad, leash, & fins it weighed 17.8 lbs (I'm 216 lbs & 6'1").  

Similar impressions - just enough water on the deck so volume is spot on for my weight, very stable, crazy fast, skaty and whips around much better off the lip.  Waves were closing out quickly today so the rides weren't long but I was making sections that I wouldn't on my other board.  I'm also impressed with how easy it is to get in the wave; I thought that the short length would require much later drops but it didn't.  I'll try the controllers for a bit but I'll try the front fins out of my Lopez thruster set & my RFC Heater set at some point.  I also definitely need some traction toward the front - I stepped up there a lot to get in the wave initially.  I'm thinking spray vs. more pad...

Magenta - when you took out the Controller fronts what did you put in and how did it change the feel?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:55:59 AM by AJR »

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
^ i was wondering about that; i have some jamie mitchell quad futures sitting around i could pop in but didn't know how they would work on this shape as i really don't know squat about fins. gonna rock these controllers for a bit for sure. the jm's will probably be looser im assuming?

Yes the JM's if they have a more conventional outline should be looser but its all so personal and you might like your front Controllers better. Just an option to keep in mind as you get more used to it.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
AJR - Great looking board! The dimensions are similar to mine. Hmmm, maybe we could swap boards for a few slides someday, eh??  ;)

I swapped the front Controllers with a pair of big Gerry Lopez fins (5 3/8" tall X 4 3/8" base) that came from a set of thrusters.

Like I said to endlessflight...  You might love your front Controllers but for me swapping the front fins made the board looser and gave more pop out of the turns. Part of the "pop" could be due to the new front fins having concave insides. I'm still not where I want to be yet and probably won't get there until I make my own asy, but for this board my next plan is to try some smaller front fins.

I posted these somewhere else on the forum a couple weeks ago, but since you asked - here again are a couple photos of the Lopez front fins after the swap...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:30:29 PM by magentawave »

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:15 AM »
Just got mine as well and out in the water today for the first time - L41 S4 7'10x31x4 5/8x127L with carbon rails & E-glass; with pad, leash, & fins it weighed 17.8 lbs (I'm 216 lbs & 6'1").
LOVE those carbon rails!
It's all relative.

supthecreek

« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Boy Kirk is doing a nice job!
Endless and AJR, your boards are beautiful. Sexy little stubbers!
The pads look great. I hope to get to surf one of the L41's this summer.

Keep the reports and pic/vids coming.

AM9K

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2013, 06:00:50 PM »
Both boards look amazing. I really like the Grey/Green fade on Endless's board.  Kirk really has a good eye.  

...and that MOON TAIL looks so sick. A really nice variation to the formula.  Cant wait to see the finished product.

BTW-  for my Simms Ish 8'0, I have tried the controllers in the front several times, and always go back to a more conventional profile fin in the front with the controller rears.  That has been the magic combo for a few guys it seems.

The ones I like the most so far are the Future EA fronts with the controller rears.  

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:14:37 PM by 9Circuit »
Instagram/Twitter: @AM9K

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest